1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

WHEN DO YOU HAVE TO REBURN THE CHIP?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 08:28 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question WHEN DO YOU HAVE TO REBURN THE CHIP?

When you order a chip you have to give the specifications of your truck, right? then they make a custom burn chip for your specific truck, OK? Well, when you have to send the chip for a reburn?
I know if you change injectors and maybe dif turbo. But if you install: a e-fuel kit? a different HPOP (like T500)? an intercooler? swap automatic to standard? dif intake and exhaust? move the MAP line? etc. etc

Old 01-09-2013, 08:30 PM
95350PS
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would guess if ya change auto to manual you would need to but not positive

Old 01-09-2013, 10:51 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Yes to the auto or manuel change, the rest no. Only mods that will change hp or torque. Then again, the T500 I would probably ask for a reburn.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:12 AM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
No need for a reburn with a hpop change unless your tuner has you down tuned

Old 01-10-2013, 08:33 AM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Question

This is from other forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CELAYORK
One question: if you have a custom chip tuned for your truck and you add an IC you need to reburn it?

Absolutely (really you should send it in for every mod you make), I'm currently running Beans tunes but it took his tuner 6 tries to get the turbo lag out and for him to be able to get the kinks out of his tuning for my '97 Cali. Runs beautifully now (except for Econo, junk tune). On the shelf I have TW tunes waiting for their chance for a ride. Don't know yet how much fidgeting he's going to have to do with that yet.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:24 AM
Awitte58
Postmaster
I guess that makes sense Jose since denser air should change the fueling required.

I just feel with the time it takes to send a chip out and wait for it to return to you that it is a lot of work for little gain.
If all you did was add an IC and had the chip reburned. MAYBE you would see a difference in MPGs, but I feel that it would be so slight you wouldnt even notice it.
Or it would be hard to even tell or 'recreate' the same driving scenario on a tank to even notice the difference.
Since MPGs and stuff vary so much based on driving styles that an IC probably wouldnt show up in the calculation. I doubt they would change your shift points either.

Maybe if you were on a dyno and 'live tuned' it with the modification of an IC the burns would be different because you can run it hotter.

IDK just speculation.

Unless i do something big like injectors/turbo/diff trans. I wont bother with getting mine reburned.
although MAYBE if I did do IC, E-fuel, and HPOP.... then do a reburn i guess to maximize efficiency with the new system. But really injectors/turbo are the biggggg differences.

cheers my good friend.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:19 AM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Talking

Originally Posted by Awitte58
I guess that makes sense Jose since denser air should change the fueling required.

I just feel with the time it takes to send a chip out and wait for it to return to you that it is a lot of work for little gain.
If all you did was add an IC and had the chip reburned. MAYBE you would see a difference in MPGs, but I feel that it would be so slight you wouldnt even notice it.
Or it would be hard to even tell or 'recreate' the same driving scenario on a tank to even notice the difference.
Since MPGs and stuff vary so much based on driving styles that an IC probably wouldnt show up in the calculation. I doubt they would change your shift points either.

Maybe if you were on a dyno and 'live tuned' it with the modification of an IC the burns would be different because you can run it hotter.

IDK just speculation.

Unless i do something big like injectors/turbo/diff trans. I wont bother with getting mine reburned.
although MAYBE if I did do IC, E-fuel, and HPOP.... then do a reburn i guess to maximize efficiency with the new system. But really injectors/turbo are the biggggg differences.

cheers my good friend.
FELIZ CUMPLEAÑOS Alex.

I agree with the live tunning.

Old 01-10-2013, 04:26 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts
That is really a good question Jose. I don't know if I will get a reburn with my new turbo or not. Probably not, I don't think Jim does php reburns anymore, and I've never dealt with php directly. Now you've got me thinking. That can be scary. I've been wanting to try some new tunes. I'd like a second chip, but I've spent too much this year already. I don't know.

Old 01-10-2013, 05:01 PM
blageurt
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Well as far as the above posts regarding Intercoolers et al...The intercooler does increase the density of the charge thereby reducing boost pressures so it is a good consideration to compensate fueling wise with live tuning ......assuming everything mechanical is on point ........I do know for a fact when you upgrade injectors you definitely need to reburn. Jody Tipton told me that since most PCM's are around 17 years old or so almost anything strange can happen ... He offered to reburn 2 of mine to whatever I wanted since I was having transmission issues which ended up being a corroded connector near the main PCM connection...

Old 01-10-2013, 06:06 PM
Mike Hannahs
Senior User
I gots a few questions,i want to know if i should go with stage 1 or stage 2 injectors,i don't want to upgrade my transmission or nothing like that,i do have a 3 inch down pipe and 4 to 5 inch exhaust and a 6637 mod airfilter with 4 inch exhaust pipe for the intake so it flows free air pretty good,my truck is stock other than stuff like that,i want to use stock hpop also for now but i will upgrade that soon,i know i need a pyro and trans temp gauge,and if i do upgrade my injectors to 1s or 2s will my edge evolution programmer work fine with them until i get a custom chip for them?i have herd lots of bad things on this evolution so im going to use it to read out codes is all,but for now i run it on the 80 hp program which gets me the best on fuel mileage,if i upgrade injectors and the programmer will work will 80 hp setting be ok?it has a 110 setting to,i guess what im asking is will i be able to make the upgraded injectors flow more fuel with the programmer,i know they can only flow so much same as stock,any suggestion out there?

Old 01-10-2013, 06:12 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Mike Hannahs
I gots a few questions,i want to know if i should go with stage 1 or stage 2 injectors,i don't want to upgrade my transmission or nothing like that,i do have a 3 inch down pipe and 4 to 5 inch exhaust and a 6637 mod airfilter with 4 inch exhaust pipe for the intake so it flows free air pretty good,my truck is stock other than stuff like that,i want to use stock hpop also for now but i will upgrade that soon,i know i need a pyro and trans temp gauge,and if i do upgrade my injectors to 1s or 2s will my edge evolution programmer work fine with them until i get a custom chip for them?i have herd lots of bad things on this evolution so im going to use it to read out codes is all,but for now i run it on the 80 hp program which gets me the best on fuel mileage,if i upgrade injectors and the programmer will work will 80 hp setting be ok?it has a 110 setting to,i guess what im asking is will i be able to make the upgraded injectors flow more fuel with the programmer,i know they can only flow so much same as stock,any suggestion out there?
You are limiting yoursef by not upgrading the transmission. It will need it with upgraded injectors, its just a matter of time and how you drive it. I ran my stage ones for a couple years with the stock trans, but I was as easy as I could be on it pulling what I pull. It's out now to get upgraded. Any upgraded injector and a "happy" right foot will trash the stock automatic soon.

I wouldn't run the edge at all if it were mine, just because of some of the things you have read.

All my opinion of course.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:23 PM
Mike Hannahs
Senior User
Thanks fordman i am grateful for your opinion,i don't pull much at all maybe 2 or 3 times a year if that my truck is mostly for driving to work and fun for the most part,if i wanted to get my transmission upgraded what would i have to do as far as upgrading goes?

Old 01-10-2013, 06:36 PM
Mike Hannahs
Senior User
Another thing im curious about is how much does the stock injectors flow and does the edge get them to flow their full potential and if now can i get a chip that will get all i can get out of the stockers for now until i get enough saved up for the injectors,i do know they can be burned and set up for upgraded ones but i didn't know if they can do anymore with stock injectors that what that edge can do

Old 01-10-2013, 06:38 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
A good converter and valve body would keep a stock trans in GOOD shape to start with alive with stage ones for quite a long time, as long as you keep your foot out of it too much. I just had an upgraded valve body, not a converter, but I felt my converter slip more than once. A larger trans cooler should be added too.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:39 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
I know nothing about the edge except the bad things, so I'm not gonna answer that. The stock injectors flow 90cc, stage ones flow 160. A custom chip will wake the stock injectors up well.

Quick Reply: WHEN DO YOU HAVE TO REBURN THE CHIP?