1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

fuel in antifreeze

Old 01-11-2013, 07:14 PM
toothser
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Jim, I got the truck back today. Well He had to change a valve cover gasket and 2 injector wire harneses He bought one new and I caught him before He bought another I had a used one at home. 1 plug was bad (melted plug) on the external injector wire harneses. I had a good used plug and spliced it back on. He also said that I had 3 bad glow plugs and that 2 of the three were changed at one time and the other one never worked (tip was melted) He said they had a heck of a time removing it. One cup was broke off, He removed it, He told Me that the small brass washer that goes near the tip of the injector was missing on that one? Changed oil and filter it seemed to run okay, It had a small miss at first I wrote it off on air in the fuel system. I left to pick someone up to give Me a ride back to My truck at repair shop when I returned shop was closed. Truck took a while to start up almost like it lost it's prime? Not cold out today 55 degrees. I drove truck awhile went home drained fuel filter and changed it. started it back up let it run, then bled any air out of fuel pressure regulator ( tire valve looking thing on side of fuel filter housing) drove it It still has a miss to it? He wanted Me to put new injectors in it at a cost of $1600.00 for all eight. I haven't even paid Him for it yet. If one of My injectors went bad it's really not His fault is it?

Old 01-12-2013, 05:47 AM
toothser
Freshman User
Already replied to previous post. Sorry.

Last edited by toothser; 01-12-2013 at 07:19 AM. Reason: all ready posted
Old 01-12-2013, 08:39 AM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
You could still have air in the HPO system. It takes about a 100 miles to get the air out

Old 01-12-2013, 07:27 PM
toothser
Freshman User
I driven it well over a 100 miles now. When it sits and idles sounds great, but as I accelerate it creates a miss or a flutter? I'm going to take it back monday and ask him to find out whats causing it, I just know that he's going to say that it needs new injectors. I do have another 7.3 diesel engine that I kept for spare parts, I haven't needed any parts off it yet, don't know much about it, maybe I'll take a look at the injectors in that one? I want to thank everyone that has rang in on this discusion. Great information!

Old 01-13-2013, 05:32 AM
DZL JIM
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 183 Likes on 83 Posts
You really won't be able to identify any issues of an injector fromthe outside. You can take the solenoid off the top and take some measurements, but even those tolerances get fixed in an Overhaul.

If the truck ran fine before he replaced the sleeve and it's not now, it's probably his work and not the injectors.

'17 6.7 F-250 KR ccsb 4x4
Old 01-13-2013, 08:22 AM
toothser
Freshman User
I kinda figured that, I did remove 2 injectors from My spare engine. 1 looks to have been replaced as it is a different from the other 7 You had mentioned in Your previous reply that if one cup had broken off that it would be expensive to repair? The shop showed me a cup that they said had broken off, and is what they belived was my fuel-antifreeze leak. I have all the used cups and parts that they replaced and noticed that they had cut one used cup end off after it was removed? I'm not trying to come off as an idiot to You or them but I was told that there is no stupid questions if you don't know. I feel that there covering something up.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:18 AM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
An injector buzz test and cylinder contribution test might be revealing.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:58 PM
toothser
Freshman User
I took it back today but later I found out that their scanner/ injector contribution tester was broken. They said that all the injectors were fine but the oil pressure sensor near high pressure fuel pump was giving a bad code, and the exhaust backpressure sensor was also giving a bad code. going to check if it is plugged up. Will update soon...

Old 01-14-2013, 06:16 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Dont worry about the Exhaust back pressure sensor. It has no effect on the engines performance. The ICP could cause a miss on acceleration. Unplug the ICP and see if the miss goes away.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:36 PM
toothser
Freshman User
I'm not trying to be an idiot, but what and where is the ICP sensor?

Old 01-17-2013, 05:34 PM
toothser
Freshman User
Well there scanner was fried, so they got a spare from Snap-on. They changed a oil temp sensor located by high pressure fuel pump, said that and showed Me that it passes all the test key on key off contribution test etc. Still has a miss to it? It is running cool below 150 degrees at times they blocked off radiator to raise temp to 165 degrees said that it needs to run around 190 degrees to run correct? They also want to install new injectors. They told Me that all Ford offers is rebuilt injectors (junk in there opinion) He recommended CAT injectors as in Catterpillar? What should I do now?

Old 01-17-2013, 06:15 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
The coolant temp they are seeing with scanner is not accurate. The PCM takes a wild azz guess as what coolant temp is based off of engine oil temp.

If it is the injectors. Dave some cash and pull them your self and send them to Jim at Rosewood Diesel. He can rebuild them to stock or stage ones for less then they can sell you remanufactured ones for.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:17 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
The CAT injectors which are AC codes which is stage ones

Old 01-17-2013, 06:32 PM
toothser
Freshman User
Thank You for the information. I never got to that ICP item, I've never had any problems with this truck, or wanted to pull the farm with it I was happy with it so I never messed with high preformance items or learned very much about it. Changed oil, fuel and air filters it never left Me stranded. I was happy with it.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:44 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
ICP sensor is the oil pressure sensor for the injectors. It's on the drivers side head rite behind the A/C compressor. Unplug it and take it for a ride and see what happens.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: fuel in antifreeze