Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Exhaust Systems
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-08-2013, 11:54 AM
New User

dewey47 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Catalytic Converter 2007 F150

Have a 2007 F150 5.4 V8, the CEL was on and the repair shop said I needed to replace both catalytic converters and the down stream O2 sensors about $1700 including labor, I said not now. I drove about 60 miles and the light went out, it has done this before, never flashed or anything just stays on. Truck runs fine but has 198,260 miles, does this sound like a converter problem?
Old 01-08-2013, 12:37 PM
Carpenter Local 745

khadma has much to be proud ofkhadma has much to be proud ofkhadma has much to be proud ofkhadma has much to be proud ofkhadma has much to be proud ofkhadma has much to be proud ofkhadma has much to be proud ofkhadma has much to be proud ofkhadma has much to be proud of
Welcome to FTE dewey47,

We canʻt say that it IS a cat problem without you posting the actual codes.

At nearly 200,000 miles (if not a typo), what could be in question are

the O2 sensors.

Also, we donʻt know how the truck was cared for over the past 6 years.

When was the last tune up. plugs, cops, filters, etc.

Posting more information from you will aid in a COMPUTER SCREEN diagnosis.

Join the Hawai'i chapter *HERE*
Old 01-08-2013, 12:56 PM

Beechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to behold
No- I would R&R the O2 sensors as their life span is typically 100k miles
Old 01-10-2013, 11:28 AM
Postmaster

KhanTyranitar has a very good reputation on FTE.KhanTyranitar has a very good reputation on FTE.KhanTyranitar has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewey47 View Post
Have a 2007 F150 5.4 V8, the CEL was on and the repair shop said I needed to replace both catalytic converters and the down stream O2 sensors about $1700 including labor, I said not now. I drove about 60 miles and the light went out, it has done this before, never flashed or anything just stays on. Truck runs fine but has 198,260 miles, does this sound like a converter problem?
Don't take it back to that shop. You always replace upstream sensors when you replace a cat. You would only ever replace the downstream ones if you had a code indicating they were bad.

I would start with replacing the upstream O2 sensors, they are way overdue for replacement.

What about your other tune up items? Make certain you are up to speed on all maintenance items outlined in your owners manual. If you are overdue, get it done. Also run a carbon treatment through your intake, carbon deposits can cause cat problems, and/or contribute to inaccurate sensor readings.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:31 AM
New User

dewey47 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks, I had coils 8-3-7-2 replaced Sept 2012 and the plugs and wires replaced Oct 2012 at Ford dealer, the CEL didn't come on until 30 days or so after the plugs and wires were changed. Runs fine no miss even at max acceleration, any ideas on what brand of carbon treatment?
Old 02-06-2013, 02:06 PM
Postmaster

KhanTyranitar has a very good reputation on FTE.KhanTyranitar has a very good reputation on FTE.KhanTyranitar has a very good reputation on FTE.
Seafoam is my personal favorite, BG44k is a good one too. Moot point though if you have bad O2 sensors. I would start with those, they are way overdue.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:06 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Exhaust Systems