Sound system questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 10:01 PM
bkpackerfan
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sound system questions

I have a '94 f150 reg. cab that I would like to put a decent sound system in. I have replaced my two front speakers with two sony xplod xs-r1644 speakers. I will be replacing my two rear speakers with two sony xplod XS-R5744 speakers. I would like to get a small sub just to get some better sound quality. I do not know if I should run my four speakers through the amp as well as the sub or if I should run just the sub through the amp. Will running the speakers through the amp produce allot better sound, or am I better off just running the sub through the amp? I am 16 so I have a somewhat limited budget. Thanks for your input.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:29 PM
lariat97
Post Fiend
I have used 1 ten inch sub in this model . I use a Qlogic pyramid shaped box between the console & rear seat. You can run 1 four channel amp by using 2 channels bridged to drive the sub & 2 for your front speakers. I am putting a system in a friends 93 excab that is built like this. I'm using real good components in the front doors & a 10 inch MTX for the sub. He doesn't want to lose much space or spend a lot. With a 75 x4 amp this will sound great.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:31 PM
lariat97
Post Fiend
I see you have a single cab. Put the sub behind the seat. It might take 2 tens to get loud enough but a pair will fit. One in the right ported bow will get loud.

Old 01-11-2013, 03:18 PM
bkpackerfan
Freshman User
I recently have been looking at a rockford fosgate 600 watt 5 channel amp on amazon that would push my two door speakers, my two rear speakers, and a sub. My speakers total up to 190 amps and the kicker 10cvt104 sub that i have been looking at as well is 400 amps so I figured this would be a good match. I originally was looking to spend not allot but the amp is $205 on amazon, $140 less than crutchfield. Plus I figured I will already be spending a little chunk of money, what's a little more. You said two subs might be needed. I am not looking for a whole lot of bass just enough to improve the quality of the sound some. I listen to rock and country, no rap so I don't need an excessive amount of bass. Not sure how much this one sub will put out but from the reviews I have read, it is a very good sub. Do you feel like I will need two subs to get what I am looking for? Thank you very much for the help.

Old 01-12-2013, 11:53 PM
bkpackerfan
Freshman User
Also I have been wondering where I should mount the amp and set my ground at. Is under the seat ok for the amp or will it overheat? I have read that you want the shortest ground possible as well, is this correct? Thanks.

Old 01-13-2013, 12:36 AM
Raptor13
Senior User
In all honesty with a good head unit your door speakers won't need the amp. Just the sub. I've had different systems set up through out my varies vehicles and I have leaned more to like just the sub on amp vs everything on amp

Old 01-13-2013, 12:39 AM
Raptor13
Senior User
Originally Posted by bkpackerfan
Also I have been wondering where I should mount the amp and set my ground at. Is under the seat ok for the amp or will it overheat? I have read that you want the shortest ground possible as well, is this correct? Thanks.
Yea usually the shorter the nicer but if your going to be using thick gauged wire 4 feet of wire is no problem. That what i had in my 94. And the amp you are looking at you shouldn't ever have the problem of over heating it on one sub.

Old 01-13-2013, 11:29 AM
bkpackerfan
Freshman User
Would it be possible to mount the amp to the back of the seat or on the rear wall of the cab? If at all possible I would like to not have to take off the bench seat. For attaching the ground can I wire brush a bolt and its surroundings and attach the ground to that. I read somewhere that it was good if you ran the ground back to the negative terminal of the battery, but this contradicts trying to have a short ground wire. Thanks.

Old 01-13-2013, 11:39 AM
Raptor13
Senior User
As for the mounting I have only done it in crew cabs and super cabs. My cousin however always mounted on the cab wall, he says mainly for the reason that it keeps the amp cooler and is easier to mount there vs trying to figure out a way to mount it on the seat. Me personally I just use the largest bolt from the floor to the seat rather than drilling a new one. Most prefer the new hole just for the ground. (I have never had a problem with doing it from the seats.)

Old 01-27-2013, 09:01 PM
lariat97
Post Fiend
I use seat bolts for grounds too. If you have a couple of inches of clearance under the seat if fine to mount a amp. I run the big 3 on all my rides. I add a pair of grounds from the battery to the frame the motor to the frame & a wire from the battery positive to the alt. I use the same size wire I run to my system. Don't mess with the existing wiring just add bigger wires.Fuse the wire to the alt also