Sponsored by:

1979 CA smog stuff

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 09:06 PM
Higbean
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1979 CA smog stuff

A good friend of mine just bought a 79 Bronco and needs to get it smoged in CA. I told him I'd ask around and figured I'd start here first. I have a 79 F-350 parts truck with a couple charcoal cans, but it doesn't have a smog pump. Trying to piece this thing together on the cheap so his 16yo can be driving it in a few weeks. Thanks fellas.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:59 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
The only thing I can say is good luck... Maybe toss 1 or 2 high flow cats on the exhaust. Charcoal canisters would help, if the engine is the original 351M it will already have the retarded timing chain they put in it for emissions. MAybe look into a smog pump system? It cycles the smog back into the vacuum system so it can be reburnt. It isn't going to be easy. I didn't know 79 still had to do emissions even in CA. Know what the cutoff age is? I hope my 78 never has to do emissions, it would cost me way to much.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:21 PM
Torky2
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm not a CA person ( ), but if it has to pass the test, I would think as a starting point they would have to have all of the emissions equipment on it that a CA-spec'd Bronco would have had for 1979... and THEN fix anything that is causing it to fail.

Originally Posted by GruesomeJeans
........ MAybe look into a smog pump system? It cycles the smog back into the vacuum system so it can be reburnt......... .
Noooooooo!
The "smog pump" (a gas-station guy term), it's "air pump" to the rest of us, pumps air into the cylinder head exhaust passages and/or to the catalytic converters to help increase the oxidation of unburned hydrocarbons (HC) and reduce Carbon Monoxide (CO). Some catalysts are three-way, meaning they reduce HC, CO, and Oxides of Nitrogen (NOX), although I don't know if a '79 truck would have a three-way on it, but since California was and is the leader in emissions regulations, it could be possible.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:22 PM
Higbean
Senior User
Hmm...

I guess I should preface it with...

Does anyone know what came on a 351m CA bronco for smog?

Old 01-07-2013, 11:23 PM
Higbean
Senior User
Thanks Torky. We must've posted at the same time. Any CA guys wanna chime in?

Old 01-07-2013, 11:25 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,595 Likes on 1,300 Posts
Originally Posted by Higbean
A good friend of mine just bought a 79 Bronco and needs to get it smoged in CA. I told him I'd ask around and figured I'd start here first. I have a 79 F-350 parts truck with a couple charcoal cans, but it doesn't have a smog pump. Trying to piece this thing together on the cheap so his 16yo can be driving it in a few weeks. Thanks fellas.
The law in CA is that the seller has to smog it before sale. Where did your buddy buy it?

What equipment is on it? A partial list will be an evap system (the charcoal canisters, vent lines, a sealed gas cap), cats, closed air cleaner with a heat riser, the aforementioned retarded cam timing, low compression and lean jetting. Probable items would be the air injection system and EGR.

There is no "cheap". You have to have all the OEM equipment, CA or Federal, whatever the vehicle is. It has to work, and you have pass the sniffer as well.

If this is a hack job with all kinds of missing parts or a rebuilt motor with different manifold/carb/headers, the cost to put it back is probably more than it's worth.

CA tests back to '76 models. Nothing secret about any of it, it's all on the BAR web site, and no one should get surprised by the smog check as it's been this way for decades.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:45 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Torky2
I'm not a CA person ( ), but if it has to pass the test, I would think as a starting point they would have to have all of the emissions equipment on it that a CA-spec'd Bronco would have had for 1979... and THEN fix anything that is causing it to fail.

Noooooooo!
The "smog pump" (a gas-station guy term), it's "air pump" to the rest of us, pumps air into the cylinder head exhaust passages and/or to the catalytic converters to help increase the oxidation of unburned hydrocarbons (HC) and reduce Carbon Monoxide (CO). Some catalysts are three-way, meaning they reduce HC, CO, and Oxides of Nitrogen (NOX), although I don't know if a '79 truck would have a three-way on it, but since California was and is the leader in emissions regulations, it could be possible.
Oh i was not aware of that. My 82 had one of those pumps on it. We just removed it and capped everything.

Originally Posted by 85e150six4mtod
The law in CA is that the seller has to smog it before sale. Where did your buddy buy it?

What equipment is on it? A partial list will be an evap system (the charcoal canisters, vent lines, a sealed gas cap), cats, closed air cleaner with a heat riser, the aforementioned retarded cam timing, low compression and lean jetting. Probable items would be the air injection system and EGR.

There is no "cheap". You have to have all the OEM equipment, CA or Federal, whatever the vehicle is. It has to work, and you have pass the sniffer as well.

If this is a hack job with all kinds of missing parts or a rebuilt motor with different manifold/carb/headers, the cost to put it back is probably more than it's worth.

CA tests back to '76 models. Nothing secret about any of it, it's all on the BAR web site, and no one should get surprised by the smog check as it's been this way for decades.
Wow, up here in washington after 25 years (currently 89?) your vehicle isn't required for smog. My 88 ranger just had it's last run through that before i sold it.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:52 AM
85e150
Super Moderator
Yea, we used to be on a rolling 20 or 25, can't recall. Then the idiots in the legislature set it at '76. Some talk of moving it up to '81, but not sure if that's real or just smoke (so to speak....) at this point.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:36 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
I guess being set at '76 is a good thing, at least for Sacramento and LA. The haze covering the valley is pretty bad. It just makes me glad i don't live there anymore.

Old 01-08-2013, 05:11 PM
AbandonedBronco
Received 80 Likes on 73 Posts
Yeah, seeing the haze over L.A. greatly diminish in the last decade or two really shows just how much good the smog laws are doing, despite how annoyed people get with them.

For what it's worth, newer cats do SO MUCH more than the original ones did, that often you can pass a test with the cat alone. My '81 has had all of the emissions equipment removed, has been upgraded from a 1bbl to a 4bbl carb, and I installed a 3-way cat and I pass the emissions test here in Idaho way, way below the limits.
Granted, I don't have a visual.

Point being, you may only need to have the stock emission equipment present even if it isn't fully working, as long as you have a nice, new 3-way cat in the system. Dunno.

Old 01-08-2013, 05:31 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by AbandonedBronco
Yeah, seeing the haze over L.A. greatly diminish in the last decade or two really shows just how much good the smog laws are doing, despite how annoyed people get with them.

For what it's worth, newer cats do SO MUCH more than the original ones did, that often you can pass a test with the cat alone. My '81 has had all of the emissions equipment removed, has been upgraded from a 1bbl to a 4bbl carb, and I installed a 3-way cat and I pass the emissions test here in Idaho way, way below the limits.
Granted, I don't have a visual.

Point being, you may only need to have the stock emission equipment present even if it isn't fully working, as long as you have a nice, new 3-way cat in the system. Dunno.
Me and my dad took a trip to Lake Tahoe one year and when we arrived back at the top of Sac valley... It was disappointing to see what i grew up breathing in. But knowing that the strict emissions standards are improving it. I can't complain too much.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:55 PM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
If you want to get more technical, the "air pump" is called Thermactor, I learned this over the forum some time ago.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:06 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
I have heard the term Thermactor before but i don't remember how long ago it was.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:14 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by AbandonedBronco

That's a good point, as they only test as to if the stuff works--for the most part--is the sniffer test. The evap has a separate test, and ignition timing is checked as well.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:51 PM
Torky2
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Encho
If you want to get more technical, the "air pump" is called Thermactor, I learned this over the forum some time ago.
Encho, "Thermactor" was Ford's name for the secondary air injection system, not one specific component of it. The complete and proper name was "Thermactor Exhaust Emission Control System". Ford references to the air pump itself were "Air Pump" (pretty catchy, huh? ) or "Air Supply Pump".

My 1970 460's (5 years before catalytic converters) used an air pump driven by a little 1/4" wide V-belt, and had an intake manifold vacuum-controlled Air Bypass Valve to dump the compressed air out into the atmosphere instead of into the exhaust system on coast-down, to avoid backfire in the exhaust system when the throttle was closed but engine RPM was up. The 1970 Ford/Lincoln/Mercury car shop manual set devotes about 1 1/2 pages to it. It was a lot simpler back then!!!

Here is a reasonably good explanation of secondary air injection:
Secondary air injection - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quick Reply: 1979 CA smog stuff