Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

Flashing Theft light on 2005 Ford Escape Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 08:33 PM
David Vox Mullen
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flashing Theft light on 2005 Ford Escape Won't Start

My "Theft" light on my 2005 Ford Escape is flashing and I cannot start the Escape.

1. I tried the key that I had been using successfully for the last 7 years. , car did not start, Theft light blinked. ,

2. Tried wife's dealer key, Car won't start, theft light blinks.

3. Tried various things, such as manual locking & unlocking, turning alarm beeping on/off, disconnecting battery, etc. Nothing works.

Called the dealer, they say they know nothing. Must bring car in, they say. Basically I am screwed and now must spend big bucks to take it the dealer because of Ford's software bug.

Help?

Old 01-07-2013, 10:15 PM
wptski
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have heard of anti-theft problems due to a bad battery. Can you get another car or jump pack to try?

Old 01-08-2013, 06:51 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 872 Likes on 724 Posts
Tow it in. Troubleshooting a PATS system remotely is one thing the dealer was smart enough to avoid.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:37 PM
garman
Junior User
Try using your key fob, my friend locked his keys in his subaru and we slim jimmed it. His theft light was brinking and car wouldn't start, but we cycled his key fob all was good.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:22 AM
tomw
Logistics Pro
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
The most likely suspect is the sensor in the steering column. Unless the computer has taken a hit, it keeps the key codes that are 'legal' in memory, and compares your key(s) to the list. If the sensor dies, the computer will get no codes, and all keys will be 'illegal'.
I have no idea of the cost of the part.
The only alternative to the dealer, and it may be less costly, is a good locksmith that has the tools to cut the keys, and can also re-program the computer. Most locksmiths have a mobile unit, and thus it would save the cost of a tow into the dealer. YMMV
tom

Old 01-24-2013, 12:55 PM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
The "sensor" around the ignition switch is simply a type of antenna. If it fails, the whole PATS system fails due to a "no input" condition.

The OP never returned to check on his question after the 7th. That means he's either dead in a snowdrift (car wouldn't start) or he simply got it fixed and moved on. In any event, there's no need to further continue the thread unless he comes back with new information.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:58 PM
tomw
Logistics Pro
Yeah, SHO, that's what he's seeing. It doesn't start. I find it hard to believe that if the 'antenna', which is not totally passive as is a radio antenna, doesn't work, that the system will allow the vehicle to be started. The vehicle is not even seeing his key. The light continues to flash... and the starter is disabled. The PATS system is working as an Anti Theft System. Just more Passive than normal.
If the other parts are not enabling the antenna to radiate, that is a different story. Which is it?
tom

Old 03-09-2013, 07:32 AM
scf100
Mountain Pass
Do you have a bunch of stuff on both key rings?
Sometimes all that metal will interfere with the signal and you can just grab all that stuff and cover your hand over it when cranking

Old 06-16-2016, 01:04 PM
Jensiltrim
New User
I had the same exact problem

I had the exact same problem recently. The motor would crank sometimes after sitting awhile and then finally stopped cranking at all. We had it towed to the mechanics where it cranked right up (anti theft device light flashing) and then after he cut it off to work on it, it would not crank again. This is what the mechanic has done so far...

The computer is sending a code that there is a problem with the anti-theft device.

- Tried swapping the keys and reprogramming them in case there was a problem with the chip in the key. That didn't work.

-Ordered and installed the new sensor that goes in the ignition switch that reads the chip in the key and allows it to communicate with computer.

- Reset the entire system and programmed and tried the keys again.

Still nothing, computer still shows code for anti theft device problems. He said the next thing he is going to do is reprogram the computer. Other than that he has no idea how to fix it. So best of luck to the OP, I'm up the same creek and will update if I have any new info. But maybe this will save someone else the time and money of replacing 170$ sensor and/or 75$ key.

Old 06-17-2016, 07:24 AM
tomw
Logistics Pro
Jensiltrim, You may want to change mechanics. If there is no experience with the Ford system, and he has none of the special 'tools' that allow him to access the internal buses that transfer all the information of the PATS, then he's just shotgunning the problem.
So far, he's thrown a few slugs, the sensor and the key, with no success. Stop digging.

Bite the bullet, and call a locksmith, or have it towed to someone that knows what they are doing. The key is 'inert' in that it responds to an RF signal by radiating, much as sunlight will reflect off a surface, and the reflection does NOT CHANGE with age or being whacked by a mule. It just IS unless hit with a hammer, more or less.
The 'sensor' is a radiating antenna, and a receiving antenna. Also pretty much 'inert', unless damaged, mechanically, or by getting fed a lot of volts it is not prepared to eat.
Take a look at the part you paid to replace. Bet it looks perfect. Check on the schematic, if you have access, and it will likely just be represented by aa length of wire, or a coil.
tom

Old 11-12-2017, 08:34 AM
Nabeel Al Samaraai
New User
I have the same problem
the anti theft flashing and the car won't start
and after 3 hours start one time and back the same thing flashing and no crank, it is crazy car

please help me if anyone had the same problem

Old 11-12-2017, 02:13 PM
simonsi
Senior User
If you have read this thread in full (even though it is old), you'll see that it is the anti-theft system acting as designed and stopping the car from starting as it isn't seeing a valid key. Apart from trying your spare key then your only route is a dealer or possibly a mobile vehicle locksmith with the ability to reprogram/troubleshoot the PATS system.

Old 11-12-2017, 02:28 PM
Nabeel Al Samaraai
New User
Thanks, actually I take off the plug for odometer and connected then the car is crank now, I tried many times and it is good
I am afraid will be stop with my wife like this problem
I will try with dealer, my be find something

Old 03-08-2024, 07:08 AM
sskidd
2nd Gear
2005 Escape

Originally Posted by David Vox Mullen
My "Theft" light on my 2005 Ford Escape is flashing and I cannot start the Escape.

1. I tried the key that I had been using successfully for the last 7 years. , car did not start, Theft light blinked. ,

2. Tried wife's dealer key, Car won't start, theft light blinks.

3. Tried various things, such as manual locking & unlocking, turning alarm beeping on/off, disconnecting battery, etc. Nothing works.

Called the dealer, they say they know nothing. Must bring car in, they say. Basically I am screwed and now must spend big bucks to take it the dealer because of Ford's software bug.

Help?
thank you for this post and whom ever left it up. My wifes 2005 Ford Escape did this exact same thing to me at 5.30 am this morning in a restaurant parking lot. I tried explaining to everyone what its doing they all thought I was crazy. This post and some of the replies put me on the right track to start correcting the problem. Its not fixed yet but I'm working on it. Any new suggestions please holler all the help is much appreciated.
thank you
Vince
HEY FOLKS JUST A QUICK BITE OF INFO NO ONE ANSWERED : It was not the "pats" system. When you turn the ignition on even in lockdown mode the dash and cluster wake up they do not stop working. Only the starter is disabled nothing else. The number 4 "ignition" fuse was blown out. Thank you everyone.
Vince

Last edited by sskidd; 03-10-2024 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Repair complete.
Old 03-08-2024, 07:45 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
One important update since this thread started in 2013: DIY PATS programming has been available for a few years now using Forscan on Windows with extended license with a recommended OBDII adapter.

The attachment from Ford covers some important tips and details.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
pats_job_aid 2009.pdf (1.44 MB, 17 views)