1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire PSI sensor shows low preasure

Old 01-07-2013, 12:33 PM
itry2fly
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire PSI sensor shows low preasure

This is my first post on FTEF but not my first F350. I glad to be back in a Ford.

Okay so I picked up my new 2013 F350 SRW Friday 1-4-2013 and went straight to the wheel & tire shop. I ordered the truck and had the tires waiting for it. I have put 325/60R-20 BFG All-Terrain on 20 X 9 Moto-Metal wheels without any lift or leveling kit. We only needed to trimmed the factory plastic on the back side at the bottom following the stock lines and just cut a small tit that stuck out by bottom fender flair attachment screw. We took the Factory sensors and mounted them in the new wheels and balanced accordingly. The tire monitor displayed on dash shows a low pressure warning now at start-up and the idiot light stays on after acknowledging the warning. The stock tires PSI recommended on the door jam is 80 psi. The new BFG tires recommended 65 PSI on sidewall. I have re-calibrated the sensors per the manual but that just updated location of sensor. My Question is:

Does Ford have a re-flash for the trucks computer that monitors tire pressure?

I had intended on putting 35/12.50 X 20 on which were only 34.8" tall vs stock 34.1" in height the 325/60-20's tire are 35.1 tall and has made a 3 mph difference in the odometer at 70 mph dash speed GPS says 73 mph.

Does Ford have a re-flash for the trucks computer to correct this tire roll out difference.

(Edit added 1-7-2013) I have looked at other post and see this is an on going issue. I assume it is the computer that needs to be rest to the new tire pressure? Could it be as simple as replacing the sensors with units rated for the correct pressure range?

Any help or contacts info would be appreciated. Thanks

( 1-8-2013 2nd Edit to Original post above)

I went to one of the local Ford dealer but not the one I bought the truck through -- They have 2 dealerships in the same county with different names. A friends son works there in the quick lube side. He took me to the shop manager and we asked him about the TPMS issue and if it could be reset? He was not sure but said go get the truck and lets see what comes up. He plugged my brand new F350 with 200 miles into the computer and the menu came up with Tire pressure sensor, he went into that menu and a list of PSI's came up in one PSI increments. He had a front wheel menu and rear wheel menu, after he selected BFG AT radials recommended max load sidewall tire pressure of 65 PSI for the rear and several warning later he clicked OK and re-flashed the Computer. My trucks front tires pressure on the door post was already 65 PSI so we only reset the rear sensors. He exited all menus and unplugged the programer. I had to drive the truck over 20 mpd before the dash light went out but the low pressure warning light and warning screen on start up is gone. Life is good.

So a big YES! it can be done! Don't let them tell you it can't they just won't do it or don't want to be bothered with doing it. My truck is proof.

I made the comment to the manager that I thought that it was dangerous to leave the 80 psi rating in the rear TPMS sensors with the BFG tires because what if the next guy reads the door and put 80 PSI in the 65 PSI BFG tire and has a blow out because they were not paying attention to the equipment / tire sizes.

The manager did asked me to make a note in my trucks maintenance log that the rear tire pressure sensors had been changed to the lower 65 PSI for the BFG AT tires and to keep it with the truck at all times. I made a 3 X 5 card with the BFG tire size, my trucks VIN#, the front and rear tire pressure sensor old and new updated PSI settings, date the change was made and millage and stuffed it in with the manual in the glove box.

Last edited by itry2fly; 01-08-2013 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Answer to my question
Old 01-07-2013, 02:50 PM
rjfetz1
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So help me understand your question......your truck recommended tire pressure is 80 psi...... your aftermarket tires call for 65psi.......your looking for a flash or new sensors rated for 65psi??? Good luck with that. Either get tires that call for 80psi or get used to the low pressure warning.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:50 PM
redford
Received 1,549 Likes on 904 Posts
What did the shop that sold you the tires say?

Old 01-07-2013, 06:45 PM
Benny76
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are these load E tires that max out at 65?

Old 01-07-2013, 06:56 PM
dualwheels66
Posting Guru
I wanted those same tires too but when I saw they had a max pressure of 65psi, I had to pass on them. It's hard to find a "E" rated 20" tire larger than stock that has a max pressure of 80psi. I don't believe Ford dealers are allowed to lower the 65psi threshold.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:29 PM
Chad149
Lead Driver
Received 488 Likes on 164 Posts
I've been having this debate as well. BFG tires are the only tires I've run in the last fifteen years or so. But they don't have much if anything over the stock size rated to 80psi. Goodyear's respectable replacement tires are the same way. Hopefully that will change before next year when I will need some.

Old 01-08-2013, 05:56 AM
Benny76
Tuned
Well, the BFG's are a 10 ply side, maybe that's the difference in air pressure. But if it's causing problems with sensors the tire seller should at least know about it and be warning people. That's sorta lame not to tell someone.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:01 AM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Ford dealers can lower the TPMS threshold, there's been a number of guys in the 6.7 forum that have had it done. New sensors wouldn't get you anything but a lighter wallet.

BTW, welcome to FTE!

Old 01-08-2013, 07:30 AM
rjfetz1
Elder User
Originally Posted by 2000silverbullet
Ford dealers can lower the TPMS threshold
Seriously? Can you say law suit?

I asked 2 dealers to lower mine because I heard it was done and mine is still not done. Id like to know where this was done and what state. Tire pressure regulations are not set by individual dealers, they have no right messing with that stuff. It would be like having a dealer delete emissions crap.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:34 AM
rjfetz1
Elder User
Originally Posted by redford
What did the shop that sold you the tires say?
Why should it be up to the shop to check tire pressure requirements listed on the op door jam?

Old 01-08-2013, 07:48 AM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by rjfetz1
Seriously? Can you say law suit?

I asked 2 dealers to lower mine because I heard it was done and mine is still not done. Id like to know where this was done and what state. Tire pressure regulations are not set by individual dealers, they have no right messing with that stuff. It would be like having a dealer delete emissions crap.
I have better things to do than your homework. Go search the 6.7 forum, its been done...

The TPMS mandate is for vehicles over 10k gvwr. The OP has a 1 ton so its probable his GVWR is over 10k. TPMS is even an option now on fleet vehicles...

Old 01-08-2013, 07:52 AM
rjfetz1
Elder User
Originally Posted by 2000silverbullet
I have better things to do than your homework. Go search the 6.7 forum, its been done...

The TPMS mandate is for vehicles over 10k gvwr. The OP has a 1 ton so its probable his GVWR is over 10k. TPMS is even an option now on fleet vehicles...
Not asking you to do my homework.... I did state I heard it was done. Dealers here in CT. will not do it.
This quoted from the 6.7 forum.....

"Two years worth of discussions here and it comes down to some dealers that will and some dealers that won't.
You just have to find one willing to do it, sometimes for a fee (which is fair). Many play the liability card"

Some have had better luck with tuners.

Last edited by rjfetz1; 01-08-2013 at 09:15 AM. Reason: because
Old 01-08-2013, 04:25 PM
itry2fly
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
( 1-8-2013 2nd Edit to Original post above)

I went to one of the local Ford dealer but not the one I bought the truck through -- They have 2 dealerships in the same county with different names. A friends son works there in the quick lube side. He took me to the shop manager and we asked him about the TPMS issue and if it could be reset? He was not sure but said go get the truck and lets see what comes up. He plugged my brand new F350 with 200 miles into the computer and the menu came up with Tire pressure sensor, he went into that menu and a list of PSI's came up in one PSI increments. He had a front wheel menu and rear wheel menu, after he selected BFG AT radials recommended max load sidewall tire pressure of 65 PSI for the rear and several warning later he clicked OK and re-flashed the Computer. My trucks front tires pressure on the door post was already 65 PSI so we only reset the rear sensors. He exited all menus and unplugged the programer. I had to drive the truck over 20 mph before the dash light went out but the low pressure warning light and warning screen on start up is gone. Life is good.

So a big YES! it can be done! Don't let them tell you it can't they just won't do it or don't want to be bothered with doing it. My truck is proof.

I made the comment to the manager that I thought that it was dangerous to leave the 80 psi rating in the rear TPMS sensors with the BFG tires because what if the next guy reads the door and put 80 PSI in the 65 PSI BFG tire and has a blow out because they were not paying attention to the equipment / tire sizes.

The manager did asked me to make a note in my trucks maintenance log that the rear tire pressure sensors had been changed to the lower 65 PSI for the BFG AT tires and to keep it with the truck at all times. I made a 3 X 5 card with the BFG tire size, my trucks VIN#, the front and rear tire pressure sensor old and new updated PSI settings, date the change was made and millage and stuffed it in with the manual in the glove box.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:34 PM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Nice!

Old 01-08-2013, 08:04 PM
Benny76
Tuned
That is cool as heck. I love this learning things like this.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tire PSI sensor shows low preasure