6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Edge Insight and Torque App

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 07:05 AM
egregg57
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edge Insight and Torque App

I downloaded Torque App and bought also the Bluetooth adapter. Got it all set up and ran it.

I found, for those with Edge Insight Juice W / Attitude, that the signal to the EDGE for the PID being monitored by Torque App is intercepted and will not read on the Edge Display.

I normally monitor EGT, EOT, EGT, and Boost. There is a problem with the EOT reading, and I have seen a thread or two on fixing that equation. Boost, ECT, and EGT showed Zero on the Edge Display, but were correctly displayed on the Torque App.

The Torque App with the Powerstroke Profile provides several points to monitor that the Edge does not. Specifically three seperate FICM voltage points.

The FICM was the last unknown for me. Having reflowed components in it as a preventative measure and taking/finding acceptable voltages at the time, beyond that I did not know the status of my FICM. I loaded those PIDs including battery voltage and was happy to see 12.5-13.0 being supplied and 48 VDC from the FICM.

I did this on my Driod Bionic / Android Op Sys and all worked well except the EOT. I would be happy to leave the Dongle and App running all of the time but the display provided by the phone is too small and I will be looking into a tablet or something close to that to make reading multiple gauges at the same time possible.

If you are on the fence about getting this handy tool, I believe it well worth the investment. I spent about $30.00 total. And the tool allows me to check any vehicle, which I tested on a freinds Dakota. He had an engine light that turned out to be caused by a small emissions leak.

The included software for the dongle allows you to upload software to a Laptop or CPU to perform diagnostic checks on vehicles 1996 and newer and is easy to use.

Eric

Last edited by egregg57; 01-07-2013 at 07:06 AM. Reason: Wording
Old 01-07-2013, 02:30 PM
JESTERxHEAD
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The Oil temp should work if you follow the instructions to the "T" here on this site. The equation from the torque app does not work correctly.

I use a 7" tablet, good for nav and for the torque app.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:19 PM
jmaskew
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
This is how I have the Oil Temp setup on mine and it works just fine. Under "Manage Custom OBD2 PIDs" find the one that reads "Engine Oil Temp"... (I spelled this one out because when you add the gauge make sure to choose "Engine Oil Temp" and not "Engine Oil Temperature" .. I did this...lol and it doesn't work). These are the settings I use (some of them are the default so don't bother changing them if you have the same settings):
OBD2 Mode and PID = 221310
Short name=EOT --- you can call this one anything you want.
Min Value = 0.0
Max Value= 300.0
Scale Factor=x1
Unit Type=°F

Equation=((((A*256)+B)/100)-40)*(9/5)+32
OBD Header to use= ---I leave this one Blank.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:47 AM
tazaxx
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by egregg57
I downloaded Torque App and bought also the Bluetooth adapter. Got it all set up and ran it.

I found, for those with Edge Insight Juice W / Attitude, that the signal to the EDGE for the PID being monitored by Torque App is intercepted and will not read on the Edge Display.

I normally monitor EGT, EOT, EGT, and Boost. There is a problem with the EOT reading, and I have seen a thread or two on fixing that equation. Boost, ECT, and EGT showed Zero on the Edge Display, but were correctly displayed on the Torque App.

The Torque App with the Powerstroke Profile provides several points to monitor that the Edge does not. Specifically three seperate FICM voltage points.

The FICM was the last unknown for me. Having reflowed components in it as a preventative measure and taking/finding acceptable voltages at the time, beyond that I did not know the status of my FICM. I loaded those PIDs including battery voltage and was happy to see 12.5-13.0 being supplied and 48 VDC from the FICM.

I did this on my Driod Bionic / Android Op Sys and all worked well except the EOT. I would be happy to leave the Dongle and App running all of the time but the display provided by the phone is too small and I will be looking into a tablet or something close to that to make reading multiple gauges at the same time possible.

If you are on the fence about getting this handy tool, I believe it well worth the investment. I spent about $30.00 total. And the tool allows me to check any vehicle, which I tested on a freinds Dakota. He had an engine light that turned out to be caused by a small emissions leak.

The included software for the dongle allows you to upload software to a Laptop or CPU to perform diagnostic checks on vehicles 1996 and newer and is easy to use.

Eric
So which dongle did you get? I'm going to get the android setup and use a 7" android tablet.

Old 01-08-2013, 01:39 AM
jmaskew
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by tazaxx
So which dongle did you get? I'm going to get the android setup and use a 7" android tablet.
I purchased this one and it works great. Click Here

Old 01-08-2013, 06:39 AM
tazaxx
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jmaskew
I purchased this one and it works great. Click Here
Awesome, thanks!

Old 01-08-2013, 07:46 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Egt should not work on the torque app as there is no factorysensor or pid for it .

Old 01-08-2013, 07:46 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Oops, double post.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:17 AM
JESTERxHEAD
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This is how I have the Oil Temp setup on mine and it works just fine. Under "Manage Custom OBD2 PIDs" find the one that reads "Engine Oil Temp"... (I spelled this one out because when you add the gauge make sure to choose "Engine Oil Temp" and not "Engine Oil Temperature" .. I did this...lol and it doesn't work). These are the settings I use (some of them are the default so don't bother changing them if you have the same settings):
OBD2 Mode and PID = 221310
Short name=EOT --- you can call this one anything you want.
Min Value = 0.0
Max Value= 300.0
Scale Factor=x1
Unit Type=*F

Equation=((((A*256)+B)/100)-40)*(9/5)+32
OBD Header to use= ---I leave this one Blank.
Plug in exactly that, torque is trying to convert a already converted formula of the temperature.

do not leave in the degree symbol....

Give it a shot...

Old 01-08-2013, 05:42 PM
jmaskew
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by JESTERxHEAD
do not leave in the degree symbol....
The degree symbol hasn't given me any issues *crossing fingers...lol. Great app though, I have a few Isspro gauges and I prefer the Torque App over the Isspro's.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:20 AM
dieselshield
New User
Can someone in here help me? Whenever I try to change the equation on my phone it it says equation invalid. Can SOMEONE PLEASE tell me why this keeps happening? I am extremely frustrated here. My eot only reads 32 degrees. I have added the ford / powerstroke preset PID's. Please help!
Thanks in advance

05 F250 6.0 powerstroke, just in case it makes a difference.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:40 AM
jmaskew
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by dieselshield
Can someone in here help me? Whenever I try to change the equation on my phone it it says equation invalid. Can SOMEONE PLEASE tell me why this keeps happening? I am extremely frustrated here. My eot only reads 32 degrees. I have added the ford / powerstroke preset PID's. Please help!
Thanks in advance

05 F250 6.0 powerstroke, just in case it makes a difference.
Enter the equation for EOT exactly as I have it a few posts up. If you are getting the "equation invalid" error you need to carefully check the equation... something is entered wrong... the usual culprit is the parenthesis (((()))). No worries though I think we all have received that error...lol.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:49 AM
dieselshield
New User
Enter the equation for EOT exactly as I have it a few posts up. If you are getting the "equatio n invalid" error you need to carefully check the equation... something is entered wrong... the usual culprit is the parenthesis (((()))). No worries though I think we all have received that error...lol.
I have entered the equation at least a dozen times with the same response of invalid. I know I'm not entering it wrong (thoroughly checked). Does the app have to be paired up before you can change equations? That's the only thing I can think of that might be causing issues.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:27 AM
skidooman1990
Senior User
No you can edit PID's while not connected to the truck. i know the problem with my equation that was downloaded was that there was an extra "open" parenthesis in the beginning of the equation. That fixed it.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:23 AM
amdriven2liv
I'm hitting easy street

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Turn on Torque APP

Go to "settings"

Go to 'manage extra IDs/Sensors'

find 'engine oil temp'

touch it.

touch 'edit'

this is what you will see:

short name: EOT

MIN- 0.0

MAX- 300.0

SCALE- x1

Unit type- C yes, C

Equation: enter this one, it's easier and works: (((A*256)+B)/100)-40

OBD header- Auto

Now exit and go set up a gauge.

when it gives you the list to choose your gauge scroll down to "engine oil temp"

Do not use "Engine oil Temperature"

Now you should be able to read EOT.

And now that you are in this, need to fix trans temp.

Follow the same steps, but when you get down to the OBD Header, make sure it is changed to TCM.

Then when you go to select the gauge you want make sure you select "Transmission Fluid Temp" NOT THE OTHER ONES!!!

Quick Reply: Edge Insight and Torque App