1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

My build thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 02:46 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Originally Posted by johnny2stroke
Nice truck! I have a couple questions: in the picture of the backside front fenders did you use the weather strip to fill a gap? If so good idea, I have a set of 51 glass fenders for mine from bebop and I have some gaps on either side. ?
Do a search, about a month ago this was discussed (might even be firther forward in this thread). There is supposed to be almost a 3/8 - 1/2 gap at the edge of the front fender where it hits the cowl and is filled by a rubber molding. The molding is sold by a bunch of vendors.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:25 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The hood got two coats of blue today, decent weather and only one bug. Good enough to rub out later.

Attached Images  
Old 01-10-2013, 08:29 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Do a search, about a month ago this was discussed (might even be firther forward in this thread). There is supposed to be almost a 3/8 - 1/2 gap at the edge of the front fender where it hits the cowl and is filled by a rubber molding. The molding is sold by a bunch of vendors.
Ross, see #11 in this thread, and thanks again.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:32 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
Looking good, and I am more than a little jealous that you can paint in January. I got the new snowblower mounted on the Deere today. Wanna see PICs of that? Didn't think so.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:34 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
I like that blue! Looks good from Illinois!
What are you spraying? Base/Clear ??? or ???

Old 01-10-2013, 09:47 PM
Project-55
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the hood looks great and a bit of color sanding will erase the bug strike.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:16 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Topper,
That hood looks great! You've got skills.
How did your test fitting of the hood go? I bet it took
5 tries on our's to get it on there without issues - it's surprisingly hard to
get lined up.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 01-11-2013, 07:23 AM
topmoo
Postmaster
Originally Posted by ben73058
Hey Topper,
That hood looks great! You've got skills.
How did your test fitting of the hood go? I bet it took
5 tries on our's to get it on there without issues - it's surprisingly hard to
get lined up.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1
I haven't tried it yet, I am scared now after reading about yours and project55's. It fit when I took it all apart, but that was with the original fenders and a year ago. I am still considering doing a reverse tilt hood opening.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:25 AM
topmoo
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Jeff and Nicolle
I like that blue! Looks good from Illinois!
What are you spraying? Base/Clear ??? or ???
Jeff, it is single stage urethane from eastwood. I haven't rubbed anything out yet, but it doesn't look bad (looks better from 10 feet). If you want they have a clear coat that can be shot over it.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:31 AM
qmanconfused
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey topper..
i, too, am a career carpenter. i built houses, apartment bldgs,restaurants and u name it right down to kitchens and bathrooms. then i finished up installing fire place replacements. i designed most of the things i built. AND never regreted a single day going to work. that being said ...my 54 f-100 now has my passion. i bought a new welder and am looking for a plasma cutter that isn't toooooo much $$$. i've been in this crazy car thing for about 15 years and just love it. its great to see a guy that thinks in "2x4's and plywood" switch to "1/4 inch plate and mig welding" thought. i can really relate! your ride looks great and you give me renewed inspiration. keep it up!!
q in 'cuse

Old 01-11-2013, 08:26 AM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by topmoo
Jeff, it is single stage urethane from eastwood. I haven't rubbed anything out yet, but it doesn't look bad (looks better from 10 feet). If you want they have a clear coat that can be shot over it.
It's a bit of a risky affair if you haven't done it before, but you will be amazed at the depth and gloss if you color sand and compound it out.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:29 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
That is looking good. I do like that color.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:36 AM
SVT-F100
Tuned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice work there Ross. Looks like you are plugging along fairly quickly. Congrats and keep us posted.

Edit: For Topmoo not Ross my mistake

Old 01-11-2013, 02:55 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Originally Posted by qmanconfused
hey topper..
i, too, am a career carpenter. i built houses, apartment bldgs,restaurants and u name it right down to kitchens and bathrooms. then i finished up installing fire place replacements. i designed most of the things i built. AND never regreted a single day going to work. that being said ...my 54 f-100 now has my passion. i bought a new welder and am looking for a plasma cutter that isn't toooooo much $$$. i've been in this crazy car thing for about 15 years and just love it. its great to see a guy that thinks in "2x4's and plywood" switch to "1/4 inch plate and mig welding" thought. i can really relate! your ride looks great and you give me renewed inspiration. keep it up!!
q in 'cuse
Thanks qmanconfused! I build cabinets and furniture and have for about 35 years now. I began teaching but quickly found out that wasn't for me. And you are right, it is quite a switch from wood to metal. I have a welder (learned years ago, just haven't done that much) and can get by with it. I did build myself a 5 x 9 trailer a few years ago with it. I am loving the car thing, it is fun to get something done right (or semi right). My truck will be a driver so I am not trying to, or have the skills to, make it show quality. I got started doing cars about ten years ago when a client/friend hired me to make him a woodie out of a 1940 Chevy 4 door sedan. I did it (you can see it in my gallery) and decided that I would do my own. So cheers to another woodworker turned car/truck nut.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:59 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Originally Posted by fatfenders
It's a bit of a risky affair if you haven't done it before, but you will be amazed at the depth and gloss if you color sand and compound it out.
I am going to try it, if I go through I will just have to start again. I will have to just look at it as good practice. Although I hope that I will be able to do it without ruining the paint job completely.
I have been reading all I can about the process and watching videos on you tube. But there is nothing like doing it yourself to learn. And I have always been pretty stubborn, and sometimes a little stupid - but I always go for it.

Quick Reply: My build thread