Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! I need battery advice for my 94 F350 diesel

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 08:19 PM
Cowgirl Caddilac
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help! I need battery advice for my 94 F350 diesel

Please help? I need to buy new batteries for my big truck, it looks big and bad but is a total sissy in cold weather! Hopefully new batteries is all it will need! My husband was a diesel mechanic and took care of my truck for me, but then he passed away 4 years ago, and it has been soooooo hard to find a decent diesel mechanic in my neck of the woods Is there anything else I should be checking and taking care of? It has been extremely cold here lately, anywhere from 0 to 10 in the mornings, so if I leave it plugged in overnight and start it every other day or so, it will usually start. 2 nights ago I drove it to work, where it couldn't be plugged in, and in the morning it fired up once, died, then didn't want to start again. Advice please??? Thank you!!!!!

Old 01-05-2013, 09:48 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Sounds like glow plug issues.

Check your relay 1st. One big lug will be constantly hot.

The other big lug will come on with the key. You should have at least 10volts on each big lug.

The 2 little lugs. One will be hot with the key one, the other is grounded by the PCM when it wants the glow plugs to come on

If the relay does not click and the second big lug does not become energized, chances are the relay is BAD.

Here is the BEST relay to replace the crapy overpriced ford one. It is 5 times cheaper the the Ford one and it is better quality
Deprecated Browser Error

Old 01-05-2013, 10:10 PM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Definatly check the glow plug relay is working.
But being as though the batteries were probably in there when your husband last worked on the truck, you probably need them. They may test fine, but these trucks have a lot of electronics and need a lot of power.

I have had great luck with advance Autoparts gold series batteries.
I also have two silver series batteries in another diesel and can't really tell a difference in starting either of them.
If you don't have anything that requires a decent used battery (the ones in the truck are plenty fine for a car or small tractor if you have one that needs a battery) then most every parts store will swap the batteries for you at no charge. It's a simple job so I would let them do it. Just make sure they unhook both battery grounds before taking either battery out.

Also with the age of the truck it may finally need a starter. With new batteries it should spin quite fast. Even at 32*.

Last, being that its very cold where you are, get the oil changed to a synthetic oil, and if you're frequently below freezing, use a 5w40 synthetic. Someone will chime in and give you the brand that is compatible with our trucks (not all oil should be used in this engine because of the way it runs)

Let us know which route you choose. We love to help.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:27 PM
Cowgirl Caddilac
New User
Thank you both for all the advice tonight! Are you sure you don't want to move to Nevada??? I have to leave for work right now but will review all of this in the morning and let you know what I find out ok? Thank you so much!! Your help is so appreciated

Old 01-05-2013, 10:41 PM
DRRXR
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am leaning toward a weak or bad battery and the glow plugs

Also corrosion can get down inside the battery cables insulation too and make them not carry current as well as they should. Look that over and the cable connections to the battery terminals need to be tight. as well.

Oil change may be helpful in addition to the other items listed

Old 01-05-2013, 11:25 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
cowgirl,when you get a chance.post up the 8th digit in the VIN of your truck if you would please.
you can find the vin on the drivers side door jam sticker,on your registration,or probably easiest via your insurance info online.

i ask because in '94 you had a couple diesel options,and the issue your describing in the end here:
"in the morning it fired up once, died, then didn't want to start again."

matches the most common symptoms of the the older diesel and this wouldn't indicate an issue with the batteries nor the glow plug system but with air intrusion in the fuel lines.just as long as what your saying at the first part of that comment "it fired up once" was a fairly easy first start just before it died.

sorry to hear about your loss.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:26 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Cowgirl Caddilac
Thank you both for all the advice tonight! Are you sure you don't want to move to Nevada??? I have to leave for work right now but will review all of this in the morning and let you know what I find out ok? Thank you so much!! Your help is so appreciated
No salt out there, right?!?!? I could use to get out of this state. LOL

FORDF250HDXLT is right, we need to know if you have an IDI, or powerstroke. The 8th digit of the vin is the easiest way

F is powerstroke
K is IDI w turbo
M is N/A IDI

Old 01-06-2013, 07:13 PM
Cowgirl Caddilac
New User
Good news! My daughter just called and apparently my boss's husband took pity on my situation and took the 2 batteries out to be charged and tested, they failed so he bought new ones ($350 total) don't know what brand yet, but she said it fired right up, died, then fired right up again and is purring like a kitten....but she did take down the VIN number and the 8th digit is an "M". But, this truck is not normal or stock, it has some big after market turbo that makes it sound like a jet plane starting up, and a semi with Jake brakes downshifting - all the guys I've ever met, young and old, love my truck. I love it, too, but it's frustrating not knowing how to take care of it properly. It hasn't had an oil change in quite a while, but then I don't put many miles on it, either. Maybe 3,000 in the past 3 years. And, I've been putting 5/20 oil in it all this time, should it be something else? Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I tell all my Ford friends about what a wonderful group of guys you all are I'm still going to check out that relay advice too, I'll have the next 3 days off to figure it out. Have a great evening gentlemen!!!

Old 01-06-2013, 07:35 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
350 for batteries??!?!!? Were they made of gold?

As for your engine. It was originally a naturally aspirated IDI. Someone added a turbo kit to it, which one I dont know. COuld be a Banks, ATS, Hypermax, etc.

oil should be changed at least once a year, no matter how little it is driven. The block will sweat and get condensation in the oil. As for what oil. 5/20 is WAY to thin. You want 15w-40. Either dino or synthetic

Old 01-06-2013, 10:10 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Cowgirl Caddilac
Good news! My daughter just called and apparently my boss's husband took pity on my situation and took the 2 batteries out to be charged and tested, they failed so he bought new ones ($350 total) don't know what brand yet, but she said it fired right up, died, then fired right up again and is purring like a kitten....but she did take down the VIN number and the 8th digit is an "M". But, this truck is not normal or stock, it has some big after market turbo that makes it sound like a jet plane starting up, and a semi with Jake brakes downshifting - all the guys I've ever met, young and old, love my truck. I love it, too, but it's frustrating not knowing how to take care of it properly. It hasn't had an oil change in quite a while, but then I don't put many miles on it, either. Maybe 3,000 in the past 3 years. And, I've been putting 5/20 oil in it all this time, should it be something else? Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I tell all my Ford friends about what a wonderful group of guys you all are I'm still going to check out that relay advice too, I'll have the next 3 days off to figure it out. Have a great evening gentlemen!!!
you have a 7.3l IDI that came factory without a turbo.
the turbo your describing sounds like a banks sidewinder.
you have a fuel drain back issue.this is why it starts,then stalls.then becomes hard to start again.because the fuel then needs to prime.
most often the place to look is on top of the engine.see all those black fuel lines connecting to black plastic caps? do you see any of them that look wet or just damp right after you've been running the engine for a bit?

and yes.you need to stop using that oil ASAP.
in fact don't even start the engine with it again.
drain it and use a diesel 15w 40 oil like Brad stated ok?

Old 01-07-2013, 12:03 PM
Cowgirl Caddilac
New User
I went back out to take a look at all those fuel lines like you said, and it looks like there is a dampness at one of the connections, but where I see a lot of fuel is on the fuel/water separator and dripping out the bottom. I couldn't see very well under the huge air flow stuff, it hides that side of the engine without taking it apart. And being as it is only 12 degrees outside and spitting snow, and I just got off a 12 hour shift, I thought I'd wait until tomorrow to take a closer look It started right up again this morning, died, and then took a bit to get it started the 2nd time, so it is definitely what you say. I would dearly love to find and fix this problem! The new batteries are Durafast Gold 850/1000 and cost $300 for both, the previous total had included antifreeze, fuel additive and oil. Yes, I will have someone come over and change out the oil this week to a diesel 15/40 like you both recommend. Should the fuel/water separator be changed out again since it seems to be leaking everywhere? It was replaced about 6 months ago. I don't know if this matters in the great scheme of things or not, but it is also straight piped to twin stacks in the bed of the truck. Again, thank you so much, all of you, for your help!!

Old 01-07-2013, 06:21 PM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ok, I'll say it.... We need pictures.
This thing sounds like a sweet truck and your husband had a great vision for it.
Pics of the engine bay and added extra things will also help us, help you.

The water separator shouldn't be leaking. It may have come loose.

The oil that's in the truck is not recommended. The big diesels need a more heavy duty oil that has specific properties. Find a synthetic 15w40 and use that. The synthetic will help with the cold starting.

Hopefully someone will help with the fuel drain back. I thought that the truck come with a mechanical lift pump. You may just need to replace that (not sure) if the check valve is in it.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:02 PM
Cowgirl Caddilac
New User
I've tried posting pictures and could only get as far as adding an album, there was no way to add photos....so I will check it out again and if not, I will add a link to one of my online albums. I'll get some pictures of the engine tomorrow, also. Of course, it figures that my macro lens is busted and I only have my telephoto lens operable right now.....but I will do my best

Old 01-07-2013, 09:17 PM
2002 F350V10
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Costco batteries $75 each , high cca , free replacement for 36 months, pro rated after the 36, best deal on the market.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:18 PM
Cowgirl Caddilac
New User
Yay! I just posted 2 pictures of the beast I'll look for more later tonight or tomorrow, and will try and get some shots of the engine as well.

Quick Reply: Help! I need battery advice for my 94 F350 diesel