Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2009+ F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2009+ F150 Discuss the 2009 through 2014 Ford F150 SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-05-2013, 07:26 AM
New User

4570 is starting off with a positive reputation.
2013 ecoboost and 1st oil change

I will be recieving a new f 150 with the ecoboost in march sometime.
I plan to do some travel trailer pulling this spring and summer.

So I was thinking of changing all the lubes to amsoil at around 1000 miles, and before using the trailer.
I am new here.
But I have read a few times to stick to ford oil filters, so I will.

I have discussed this with the service manager.
They even offered to do it.

I know I do not need to.
That the factory lubes are good.

Anybody see a problem with this idea?
Old 01-05-2013, 09:38 AM
Posting Guru

screwy is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.screwy is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Whatever oil you use is up to you, so I wont get into that, but I changed mine at 1000 miles. Makes me feel better with the high wear rates at first and not knowing what might have gotten left in there during assembly.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:16 PM
New User

aparise72 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Good choice to stick with motorcraft filters. Its up to you on fluids. I use motorcraft fluids, but i have a couple buddies that swear by amsoil.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:25 PM
Posting Guru

PrinceValium has a great reputation on FTE.PrinceValium has a great reputation on FTE.PrinceValium has a great reputation on FTE.PrinceValium has a great reputation on FTE.
Amsoil, Mobile 1, whatever you choose will work well. Synthetics are better than conventional but not everyone agrees with that.

My Mod Thread 2013 F150 Platinum, Ego-Boost, 3.73, max tow, skid plates, and bed liner, 32% ceramic tinting.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:15 PM

tseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4570 View Post
I will be recieving a new f 150 with the ecoboost in march sometime.
I plan to do some travel trailer pulling this spring and summer.

So I was thinking of changing all the lubes to amsoil at around 1000 miles, and before using the trailer.
I am new here.
But I have read a few times to stick to ford oil filters, so I will.

I have discussed this with the service manager.
They even offered to do it.

I know I do not need to.
That the factory lubes are good.

Anybody see a problem with this idea?
When you say ALL the lubes, I'm assuming that you intend to change differential oil, transmission / transfer case fluids as well as engine oil.
2010 Ford Focus
2004 Expedition XLT 4x2

FTE Guidelines
Old 01-06-2013, 05:25 AM
New User

Yes, thanks for the clairification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tseekins View Post
When you say ALL the lubes, I'm assuming that you intend to change differential oil, transmission / transfer case fluids as well as engine oil.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:09 AM

Tom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputation
TomB985
There's really no need in my opinion. Modern engines and fluids are capable of going a much longer time than most of us are comfortable without being changed. After 1,000 miles you may have high wear metal content in your oil, but that doesn't mean the oil isn't fully capable of doing its job.

It's not an Ecoboost engine, but I waited to 9,953 miles before I changed the factory fill in my 2011 Mustang. I did a UOA to see how the oil was doing, see below:

Click the image to open in full size.

As you can see, even after almost ten thousand miles the oil was still perfectly capable of lubricating the engine. Remember that the manufacturer is placing a HUGE wager on the fact that their maintenance recommendations are adequate, as having to replace a blown up engine under warranty would obliterate any profit they made on your truck as well as several others. They own the risk in this situation, and they develop their maintenance intervals with this in mind. You will NOT hurt this thing by following the factory recommended oil changes.

And even more so, replacing your transmission and axle lubricants is even more of a waste, as these fluids will go far longer than engine oil due to a much milder operating environment for them. Many folks never change their differential oil and never have any trouble.

It's your truck and do as you please, but you might as well put your money in a shredder and use it as lawn fertilizer...your truck won't know the difference.

Currently truckless.
Most recently: 2013 F150 XLT 4x4 EcoBoost
Moderators, Guidelines, and How They are Enforced
Old 01-06-2013, 10:22 AM

tseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputation
If one were to run a 25K mile Amsoil product or a 15K mile Mobil1 product through their engine and actually extended the drain cycles out to 25K and 15K respectively and an internal engine failure were to occur, Ford would turn their back on you in a minute for not following the OLM, Oil Life Monitor at a minimum.

Ford will back your engine using the prescribed MC oil and filter for the duration of the OLM or 10K, which ever occurs first. If the OLM were to fail, then you default back to a 5K dump cycle.

Following these drain cycles with such an expensive oil is very interesting. Peace of mind is priceless.
2010 Ford Focus
2004 Expedition XLT 4x2

FTE Guidelines
Old 01-06-2013, 04:45 PM
New User

My intention would be to use ford filters.
And to follow ford spec's re drain intervals.
I live in northern canada and have cold winters.

I had to google OLM to see what this is.
I have not recieved the truck yet.

Will my 2013 F 150 ecoboost have OLM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tseekins View Post
If one were to run a 25K mile Amsoil product or a 15K mile Mobil1 product through their engine and actually extended the drain cycles out to 25K and 15K respectively and an internal engine failure were to occur, Ford would turn their back on you in a minute for not following the OLM, Oil Life Monitor at a minimum.

Ford will back your engine using the prescribed MC oil and filter for the duration of the OLM or 10K, which ever occurs first. If the OLM were to fail, then you default back to a 5K dump cycle.

Following these drain cycles with such an expensive oil is very interesting. Peace of mind is priceless.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:48 PM
Posting Guru

tvsjr has a great reputation on FTE.tvsjr has a great reputation on FTE.tvsjr has a great reputation on FTE.tvsjr has a great reputation on FTE.
Amsoil is second-rate snake oil in my book. Make sure you look at whatever fluids you choose and ensure that are *certified* to the appropriate standard (API, etc.) as required in the owner's manual. Some Amsoil products "meet XYZ standards" but don't bear the official certification mark and aren't really certified. This is Amsoil's way of saying that they think the fluid should be certified, but they haven't spent the money to actually have the certification process performed.

In my opinion, you're trashing a bunch of perfectly good fluids. Dump the oil at 1K... swap over to a full-syn like Mobil 1 if you want, and you'll be just fine. What do you hope to get out of changing all the fluids to Amsoil?
Old 01-06-2013, 09:48 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2009+ F150