1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Is there a cruise control light in instrument cluster??

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 11:56 PM
cutlass
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there a cruise control light in instrument cluster??

I have just completed my wiring transplant in my early 99. The donor was a late 99 truck. My truck started out a manual lock, window, and mirror truck and no cruise control. Now, it has all the amenities that were available in a 1999.5 Lariat. I've changed out my clock spring to accommodate cruise control function as well.

My question is, was there ever an indicator light in the dash instrument cluster for cruise control when it was turned on or activated?

If so, does that mean there's a different part number for the instrument cluster on the models with cruise control? Or is there just a light bulb that i need to add behind the cluster to get it to work.

Thanks,
Drake

Old 01-05-2013, 12:13 AM
jeffreyt
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cutlass
I have just completed my wiring transplant in my early 99. It started out a manual lock window and mirror truck and no cruise control. Now, it has all the amenities that were available in 1999 for the Lariat. I've changed out my clock spring to accommodate cruise control function as well.

My question is, was there ever an indicator light in the dash instrument cluster for cruise control when it was turned on or activated?

If so, does that mean there's a different part number for the instrument cluster on the models with cruise control? Or is there just a light bulb that i need to add behind the cluster to get it to work.

Thanks,
Drake
Yes, there is a light, Atleast in both trucks I've had (2002 and 2003), and my dads 2000. No clue about how to go about getting yours set up though.

Old 01-05-2013, 12:39 AM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Which pcm do you in? E99 pcm didn't turn on the light iirc.

Old 01-05-2013, 12:45 AM
cutlass
Elder User
Originally Posted by BigAlsPSD
Which pcm do you in? E99 pcm didn't turn on the light iirc.

I believe my PCM was from either a late 99 or 2000 truck. I swapped so that I could read PERDELS in AE.

Drake

Old 01-05-2013, 02:32 AM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Well if you have the later PCM, then you may want to look to see if the bulb is even in the cluster behind the cruise, your first guess. For instance, the "theft" light on my 2000 was not illuminated.

Old 01-05-2013, 02:45 AM
cutlass
Elder User
Well if you have the later PCM, then you may want to look to see if the bulb is even in the cluster behind the cruise, your first guess. For instance, the "theft" light on my 2000 was not illuminated.
Could you tell me where on the cluster the cruise light is located? I've looked for it but cannot see it. That is why I ask if the cluster for early 99 came with it or not.

Thanks,
Drake

Old 01-05-2013, 02:51 AM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
As far as I know some E99 had provisions, just not the programming, and some did not.

Should be about half way up on the right side edge, green light(viewed from driver's seat).

Old 01-05-2013, 02:59 AM
cutlass
Elder User
As far as I know some E99 had provisions, just not the programming, and some did not.

Should be about half way up on the right side edge, green light(viewed from driver's seat).

Ok. I'll let you know when I have the opportunity to check that out and see if there's a bulb in that position. I'll have to pull the cluster to see.

Thanks,
Drake

Old 01-05-2013, 06:12 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
When I took my dash out for service, I pulled every bulb out and installed all new ones. Shining a flashlight behind an open bulb hole will reveal everything. I read an article where somebody converted their whole dash to LEDs.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:48 AM
1fixitman
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My E99 build date nov 16 1998 does not have a light for cruise. There may be a light on the switches on the steering wheel but I never noticed them. My cruise does work.

Old 01-05-2013, 12:38 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Tugly
[SIZE=3...I read an article where somebody converted their whole dash to LEDs. [/SIZE]
I'm running LED's replacement bulbs in mine.

Originally Posted by 1fixitman
My E99 build date nov 16 1998 does not have a light for cruise. There may be a light on the switches on the steering wheel but I never noticed them. My cruise does work.
It wasn't that they didn't have cruise control they just didn't turn on a light on the dash, some people who swapped PCM's to run chips, noticed after they swapped PCM's the light on the dash would then illuminate.

Old 01-05-2013, 11:16 PM
cutlass
Elder User
I'll have to wait to check and see if my cruise control works after I get my turbo installed so I can run my truck. My cruise wasn't working before I took it out, but now that I have repaired a lot of my wiring harness, I'm hoping that I also was able to take care of the cruise control.

Right now when I turn my ignition on and all of the lamps in the cluster self test, the cruise control light is not illuminating. When I have time to pull it out and check the wiring leading to the bulb, I'll let you all know what I find. Maybe the cruise lamp does not illuminate during the self test when the ignition is first turned on.

Maybe someone could confirm this?

Thanks,
Drake

Old 01-05-2013, 11:44 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
fwiw cutlass, mine doesnt light up either, when powering up. Only when activated, run'n down the road.

Old 01-05-2013, 11:51 PM
cutlass
Elder User
Originally Posted by timmyboy76
fwiw cutlass, mine doesnt light up either, when powering up. Only when activated, run'n down the road.

Thanks Tim. Maybe this means there have been issues with my wiring for the cruise control switch or elsewhere in the system. But that bit of info. helps.

Thanks,
Drake

P.S. I feel like I've been banned from giving anyone reps on this forum. I've tried to rep a few people in the last 2 days and each time I'm being told to spread some reps around before giving them to _______ again! Can someone tell me the logic behind who and when I can rep here? I don't feel any of those I've tried to rep recently and been denied are anyone I've repped. for quite a while. What gives here?

Old 01-05-2013, 11:56 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Correct, it is not one of the lamp test lights during KOEO.

Quick Reply: Is there a cruise control light in instrument cluster??