Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1947 and Older Ford Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-04-2013, 07:13 PM
Freshman User

69highboy69 is starting off with a positive reputation.
1942 ****** ford jeep found in barn

hello, my name is jack today I was helping a friend from school with some hay and saw I jeep way in the back of the barn and started asking some questions and said he would sell it to me for 300$ Its green, hard top and has a flat head in-line 4. Very little rust, everything's solid even the doors and ran when it was parked a few years ago. Any info would be greatly appreciated also wondering about its value?
Old 01-04-2013, 07:29 PM
Posting Guru

GB SISSON has a great reputation on FTE.GB SISSON has a great reputation on FTE.GB SISSON has a great reputation on FTE.GB SISSON has a great reputation on FTE.GB SISSON has a great reputation on FTE.
Don't s'pose we could get a photo or two.......
'92 F350 4x4 dual wheel service truck. 7.3 with headers and glass packs. 5 sp man tran. 255 85 16 Toyos. 110,000 miles. '59 F350 9' flareside new project, cummins 6at turbo diesel, sm 465 4 spd. 255 85 16s again, 37 ford 1 1/2 ton stake with 53 flathead V8. 65 toyota landcruiser fj 45 longbed pickup. 54 GMC 3/4 ton flatbed w/ cummins 6at, '68 BSA 441 Victor Special, bone stock, Antique tractors and one lung flywheel engines .....
Old 01-04-2013, 07:31 PM
Freshman User

I bought it, but its still at the guys house
Old 01-04-2013, 07:33 PM
Freshman User

just needs a paint job and a carb rebuild no body damage and no cancer
Old 01-04-2013, 08:10 PM
Posting Guru

critterf1 has a good reputation on FTE.critterf1 has a good reputation on FTE.critterf1 has a good reputation on FTE.
It's either a FORD GPW or a WILLYS MB, not both.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:20 PM
Posting Guru

GB SISSON has a great reputation on FTE.GB SISSON has a great reputation on FTE.GB SISSON has a great reputation on FTE.GB SISSON has a great reputation on FTE.GB SISSON has a great reputation on FTE.
Does it have a full floating rear axle? Like a 3/4 ton truck? If it does it should be a Ford. If semi-floating like a half ton, should be a ******.......
'92 F350 4x4 dual wheel service truck. 7.3 with headers and glass packs. 5 sp man tran. 255 85 16 Toyos. 110,000 miles. '59 F350 9' flareside new project, cummins 6at turbo diesel, sm 465 4 spd. 255 85 16s again, 37 ford 1 1/2 ton stake with 53 flathead V8. 65 toyota landcruiser fj 45 longbed pickup. 54 GMC 3/4 ton flatbed w/ cummins 6at, '68 BSA 441 Victor Special, bone stock, Antique tractors and one lung flywheel engines .....
Old 01-05-2013, 06:27 AM
Elder User

1952henry is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
Does it have a full floating rear axle? Like a 3/4 ton truck? If it does it should be a Ford. If semi-floating like a half ton, should be a ******.......
All standard production WW2 Jeeps, and even the first prototype civilian Jeeps, had the full-floating axle. Ford built the jeeps under the Willys pattern, hence the W in GPW. Granted, there were some minor difference in brackets and other items, but all drivetrain components were identical so as to not have differing parts for items on the same basic chassis.

Gorebal warming, climate change, gorebal climate disruption. Repackaged crap is, well, still crap!
Old 01-05-2013, 09:38 AM
Senior User

1960fordf350 is starting off with a positive reputation.
A jeep with doors? We definetly need pics. And I believe the ford gpw's used the ford tractor engine, so not all parts will interchange with the *****'s. We need a military person who knows the difference to throw in here.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:01 PM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1960fordf350 View Post
A jeep with doors? We definetly need pics. And I believe the ford gpw's used the ford tractor engine, so not all parts will interchange with the *****'s. We need a military person who knows the difference to throw in here.
You are almost right. The GPW used the Willys designed "Go-Devil" engine. Some of the prototypes and early GPs used the tractor engine, but not the "GPW", which means G-government, P-80" wb, W-Willys pattern. Willys won the contract, Ford was the second supplier, but had to make everything interchange with the Willys. I read somewhere that Ford manufactured at least some of the Willys engines for the MB and GPW; the heads and engine bolts destined for GPWs had Ford script markings on them.

Gorebal warming, climate change, gorebal climate disruption. Repackaged crap is, well, still crap!
Old 02-21-2013, 11:19 AM
New User

garthr is starting off with a positive reputation.
****** mb

i have a 42 that i also found in a barn 30 years ago. im older now and the jeep is in my barn for the time being. having a sound body is rare. the 42 came equipped with a canvas top with hoops, no sides and no doors. it also had no heater, and hand operated wipers. the front and rear axles were; front-spicer, model 25, rear, model 25 full float. the frame and running gear are weak, more power WILL break parts. the engine is low comp. 140cu. fuel mileage was rated at 8mpg although it was capable of running kerosene, diesel, or gasoline with no more than a timing adjustment.
garthr
Old 02-21-2013, 01:08 PM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by garthr View Post
i have a 42 that i also found in a barn 30 years ago. im older now and the jeep is in my barn for the time being. having a sound body is rare. the 42 came equipped with a canvas top with hoops, no sides and no doors. it also had no heater, and hand operated wipers. the front and rear axles were; front-spicer, model 25, rear, model 25 full float. the frame and running gear are weak, more power WILL break parts. the engine is low comp. 140cu. fuel mileage was rated at 8mpg although it was capable of running kerosene, diesel, or gasoline with no more than a timing adjustment.
garthr
I think that is untrue. The later M-series 2.5 and 5 ton military trucks had a multi-fuel Continental engine that couldburn various petroleum products, but the pump had different orifices depending on the viscosity of the fuel.

Jeeps, or any carbureted engine, can burn a gasoline-favored mixture of the above mentioned fuels, but certainly not diesel straight. Think about it, if you could simply burn diesel in a gas-burner, everyone would have done it years ago when diesel was much cheaper than gas. WW2 Jeeps had the same carburetor (Carter WO) and fuel pump as civilian Jeeps.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:05 PM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952henry View Post
I think that is untrue. The later M-series 2.5 and 5 ton military trucks had a multi-fuel Continental engine that couldburn various petroleum products, but the pump had different orifices depending on the viscosity of the fuel.

Jeeps, or any carbureted engine, can burn a gasoline-favored mixture of the above mentioned fuels, but certainly not diesel straight. Think about it, if you could simply burn diesel in a gas-burner, everyone would have done it years ago when diesel was much cheaper than gas. WW2 Jeeps had the same carburetor (Carter WO) and fuel pump as civilian Jeeps.
i see your point. ive never personally done this , but have read about it. at forums.aaca.org and jalopnik.com are some examples listed of old military multi fuel engines. i also think that mixing an oil like diesel would be necessary to cut the viscosity for carbuetion. also, the 1st 1,555 jeeps produced by ****** were model ma. these would be from 1940 or 41 and extremely rare.
garthr
Old 02-23-2013, 03:00 AM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by garthr View Post
i see your point. ive never personally done this , but have read about it. at forums.aaca.org and jalopnik.com are some examples listed of old military multi fuel engines. i also think that mixing an oil like diesel would be necessary to cut the viscosity for carbuetion. also, the 1st 1,555 jeeps produced by ****** were model ma. these would be from 1940 or 41 and extremely rare.
garthr
When I mentioned the "M-series", I'm referring to the post WW2 vehicles. Examples: M38-military CJ3a, M38A1-military CJ5, Dodge M37-replacement for 3/4 ton WC Dodges, M135 & 211-military GMC 2.5 ton, M35-multi-make 2.5 ton, and so on. Sometime in the 60s, Continental developed a multi-fuel engine for the 6X6s.

My grandfather would mix gas to diesel 5:1 to burn in his new JD Model D in 1949. It wasn't unheard of. Any mixture beyond that caused smoke and power loss, as I was told.

Old 02-23-2013, 01:46 PM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952henry View Post
When I mentioned the "M-series", I'm referring to the post WW2 vehicles. Examples: M38-military CJ3a, M38A1-military CJ5, Dodge M37-replacement for 3/4 ton WC Dodges, M135 & 211-military GMC 2.5 ton, M35-multi-make 2.5 ton, and so on. Sometime in the 60s, Continental developed a multi-fuel engine for the 6X6s.

My grandfather would mix gas to diesel 5:1 to burn in his new JD Model D in 1949. It wasn't unheard of. Any mixture beyond that caused smoke and power loss, as I was told.
i see also where mixtures were used to alleviate vapor-lock problems and add additional lube to cylinder walls.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:54 AM
New User

scramboleer is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'd love to see a picture or two. Old Jeeps are great.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:54 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1947 and Older Ford Trucks