1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Box Style Ford Trucks

NEW:'60 F100 Panel; need advice on engine swap & IFS

Old 01-04-2013, 02:27 PM
SgtSudds
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NEW:'60 F100 Panel; need advice on engine swap & IFS

Hi All,
New to this posting. Have 1960 F100 Panel that I brought to Canada from California. Is original and has original 223 engine with 3 speed. Whole system needs refurbishing, so I have thought to install Chev 350 with trans. (Before you threaten me with "ruining" a Ford, I have other vehicles that I have restored ORIGINAL - '93 Vette, '38 Buick, '68 Harley-Davidson Servi-car - and that is my preference!) But, in this case, I want to change. I want comfort and SAFETY when my family drives this great truck. (with any luck, there is a photo posted too). Big reason for the change is access to well-running 350.

Has anyone installed a 350 into this vehicle?

In Dennis Carpenter's catalog, page 30, there is a "Crossmember style Motor Mount Kit" #TD-4810. This is supposedly meant for this job. Anyone used this part?

Also looking at the threads here regarding IFS from a Crown Vic, years 2003>. Seems all have had good luck. Anyone which they had not tackled the job? Any major things to look out for?

Look forward to your constructive comments, thanks!
Sudds

http://sphotos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto...40093620_o.jpg

Last edited by SgtSudds; 01-04-2013 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Wording was "lost"; trying to add photo
Old 01-04-2013, 04:07 PM
THartman
Junior User
A few observations from a CV install and many observations of others:
-Make sure you are cool with the offset of wheels used. If you want to use 15" wheels or steel wheels like the OEM they won't work with the CV front
-New wheel bolt pattern is 5x4.5
-Getting the frame around the four bolt areas from the CV or using steel pipe for bolt mounts were the smoothest installs I have seen
-Make sure you get the rear control arm bushings that are a on the CV frame a little ways back from the area where the four bolts are located. Some people have missed these when they originally pull the IFS.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:19 PM
hiball3985
Logistics Pro
Received 74 Likes on 64 Posts
Nice truck
I'll reserve my comment on a Chevie motor.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:51 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

Received 585 Likes on 525 Posts
Originally Posted by SgtSudds
Hi All,
New to this posting. Have 1960 F100 Panel that I brought to Canada from California. Is original and has original 223 engine with 3 speed. Whole system needs refurbishing, so I have thought to install Chev 350 with trans. (Before you threaten me with "ruining" a Ford, I have other vehicles that I have restored ORIGINAL - '93 Vette, '38 Buick, '68 Harley-Davidson Servi-car - and that is my preference!) But, in this case, I want to change. I want comfort and SAFETY when my family drives this great truck. (with any luck, there is a photo posted too). Big reason for the change is access to well-running 350.

Has anyone installed a 350 into this vehicle?

In Dennis Carpenter's catalog, page 30, there is a "Crossmember style Motor Mount Kit" #TD-4810. This is supposedly meant for this job. Anyone used this part?

Also looking at the threads here regarding IFS from a Crown Vic, years 2003>. Seems all have had good luck. Anyone which they had not tackled the job? Any major things to look out for?

Look forward to your constructive comments, thanks!
Sudds

http://sphotos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto...40093620_o.jpg

So, a 223 is not a safe motor? Looking to exchange for a larger engine and putting in a vic front end for a more car-like expirience is one thing, but saying you want to discard the 223 and the original front end for safety reasons is another. No front end will be safe if it is worn out. It seems with your restoration background you would know that. Perhaps you do and just used a poor choice of words so I will give you the benefit of the doubt. At any rate, that's a nice looking panel you have there. Glad you are planning on taking care of it and making it "safe".

Old 01-05-2013, 10:15 PM
2losteve
Senior User
I'd hold off on the engine mount crossmember if you're going to do an IFS. Don't think they're compatible.
I acquired a Jag IFS for my '57 as they have narrower tread width - I like the older style wheels. Just sayin'.
Nice looking panel.

Steve

Old 01-06-2013, 12:36 AM
SgtSudds
New User
Hi Spurredon, "BRAKING" - Disc brake kit?? -further explanation for proposed changes to '60 panel

Thanks for your comments. Yes, my wording left a bit to be desired. In the interest of keeping the posting brief I wrote it thus.
However, what I am finding with this truck, that I have not found quite so "intense" in my other vehicles is best described this wayI have fixed/addressed each of these issues, on the truck, as best I can)
1. The steering "wanders'. I have installed new parts, and made it as 'tight' as possible.
2. Having serious problems with braking. With hard application, the truck will actually 'change lanes". I almost lost total control one day, and I was traveling at less than 30 mph. I have new bearing, hubs, drums, linings - the whole 9 yards. The only thing I have not done is to remove the automatic adjusters. I am wondering if that has any bearing on the problem. I have 'sanded' the linings to make sure of even wear. Frankly, I am at a loss.
3. The 223 engine is a great engine. However, it is leaking at the rear main seal. And, it is starting to show a bit of 'blue'. So, a rebuild would be in order.
4. The gear 'ratios' are a bit interesting. It seems the best gear to be in almost all the time is 2nd. Perhaps that is normal. I think this is geared for city. I believe it has the 3.89:1 rear end. Going anywhere on the highway is a bit of a chore.
5. Lastly, my wife has expressed a desire to be able to drive this vehicle and has authorized the expenditure. She would prefer a larger engine, and safer brakes.

I have thought about simply changing the front brakes to disc, and I am sure there must be a kit around, but I have not been able to find one. Perhaps you have an idea where I could get a kit? Frankly, the brakes are the issue that bothers me the most regarding safety.
Regards,

Sudds

I hope I have chosen better words to explain my issues. I'm not saying the 223 is 'not safe'.

Old 01-06-2013, 06:38 AM
hiball3985
Logistics Pro
Received 74 Likes on 64 Posts
I understand your concerns about the brake and steering issue. Here is some info that may help.
1. they didn't come with self adjusters, did you add those or did the PO do that?
2. I know the only time I've had a problem with the stock brakes pulling is when the toe adjustment wasn't correct, have you checked that?
3. I'm not sure what disc conversions are available but there are power/dual master kits.
4. I rebuilt my box twice over the years, still get a little wandering. Part of that is the oversize tires I think. I've just learned to live with it, it's not bad enough to be a safety concern
I'm not against the idea of a later front end for the brake and steering improvements it was just never in my budget.

Old 01-08-2013, 05:39 PM
economan
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S' far as changin over to a sbc, did mine in an easy weekend, used the "Transdapt" brand motor mount kit & the rear tranny crossmember outta the Parisinne Pontiac that the eng came outta & 700-R-4. Also used a rad out of a mid 70s dodge truck cuz where the rad hose comes out of the original rad would interfere with the fan. Also used a late 80s dodge pickup cable type gas pedal type asm. and a 88 dodge dual master cyl & booster which only requires elongating a couple of the original holes in order to make it fit.
my front end is feeling pretty loose & wandery currently. I'm likely gonna address that when i get it outta storage in the spring. but one thing i DID find last year upon reading an article in a early 60s popular mechanics is to change out the front wheel bearings is it makes a huge differance as i have done it to my 64 econoline and as a result i hardly drove the panel at all last summer as the econo drove sooo nice.
alllllso....as far as an auto steering column i pulled one out of a 57 ford car just had to lengthen the outer tube about 3/4 of an inch. I used the shift quadrant (PRNDL) outta a early 80s chevy van and bent a heavy piece of wire to make the pointer out of it.

Mikie
near ottawa canada
58 m-100 panel & 64 econo p/u