Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-2015 Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-04-2013, 08:40 AM
Senior User

bsfarmer is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thinking about a 2013

Been shopping around for a new F250 or F350. Going from a '12 Chevy 3500HD 6.0 gasser regular cab work truck to a 4-door diesel Lariat fully loaded. I plow snow and pull a 16K lb equipment trailer around, and put around 20K miles on a truck each year. Plan on trading trucks every 5-7 years.

Questions is---how many guys on here have had ZERO problems with their new 6.7's? I know people don't usually post about how trouble free their truck has been and you always hear horror stories from all three trucks, whether its problems with DEF, EGR, or hubs not locking in or balljoints wearing out or something.

IMO you pay 50-60K for a pickup truck you should not have to take it back to the dealer for anything....at all. You should only have to do oil changes, tire rotations, and scheduled maintenance for at least 100,000 miles. That's the reason I bought a GM 6.0 gasser, proven to be a reliable truck and motor, but just a little lackluster in the power and MPG department. Its done everything I've asked it too, but 8mpg gets a little old and a little more pulling power would be nice.

I guess what I need is just a little convincing to switch back over to a Ford instead of getting another GM product or changing over to a '13 Ram Laramie.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:06 AM
Senior User

CascadeF250 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
40,000 miles and one faulty water pump at 22,000 , also computer update for DEF fault. Truck pulls something about half of the time. I guess I can't say 0 issues but Dealers response to problems was excellent. I would purchase the same truck again.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:11 AM
Elder User

jim48 has a good reputation on FTE.jim48 has a good reputation on FTE.jim48 has a good reputation on FTE.
NO problems with my truck. As you can see my truck is a chassis cab, hence a puny 300 hp instead of 400 hp. My dealer sells a lot of chassis cabs as we live in the middle of wheat/cattle country. I've know this dealer all my 65 years, and they have been family owned for more years than that. They've had very few 6.7 owner's issues of any kind. They have a VERY sharp diesel mechanic, and he says so far the engine has been a winner. He has seen two for fuel/water issues, and it looks like both were drivers mistakes.

We only use our truck to pull 5th wheel, and it does the job effortlessly. We had a 04 FX4 F250 6.0 before. This truck pulls the same 5th wheel so much easier, and gets better fuel mileage to boot. Quiet, comfortable and a joy to drive, what's not to like???? We get 19-21 mpg empty and 10.5-13.5 mpg pulling the fiver. I have a 4.11 rearend and drive 60 mph regardless of empty or loaded. 90% of our towing mileage is 12.5 mpg and it only changes with the prevailing wind or lack of.

Good luck with your choice...........

Jim
RDS Aux Tank, Pullrite 16K Super 5th, Raptor SS
Retired BNSF RR ENGINEER & USN/USAF
Holiday Rambler 33SKT
Old 01-04-2013, 09:19 AM
Senior User

los341 is starting off with a positive reputation.
9K miles and zero problems here so far... Our first big trip was pulling a fifth-wheel out to Maine and back. Had a blast!

Regarding the comment of there should be no problems before 100k miles... personally I think that's an un-realistic expectation for a truck as big and complicated as these. Heck, that's a lot to expect even from a plain-jane car base-model car that only grandma drives! I think you can expect a few problems. That comes with the territory and is also why it comes with a warranty. These trucks are designed to work hard while keeping the occupants safe and comfortable, but they're not perfect. Treat it well and it will treat you well!

Carl
Attached Images

2012 F350 6.7L PS KR+Chrome Dually Crew Cab Platinum White FX4 3.73LS PTO Dual-Alt Block Htr Tailgate step 5th Whl/GN package BU-Alarm Nav Upfitter switches Moonroof Mud flaps Toughbed Cable lock Dual headrest DVD Pop-n-Lock tailgate lock Amp sidestep EZ Down Tailgate Assist Tonneau
Old 01-04-2013, 09:24 AM
Posting Guru

Troy Buenger is a splendid one to beholdTroy Buenger is a splendid one to beholdTroy Buenger is a splendid one to beholdTroy Buenger is a splendid one to beholdTroy Buenger is a splendid one to beholdTroy Buenger is a splendid one to beholdTroy Buenger is a splendid one to behold
~14k miles on my '12 and not a single problem.

Excellent fuel economy and tows/runs like a beast...

My best truck to date.

BTW... If you keep trucks every 5-7 years I'm surprised you are ready to dump your '12 GM 6.0. To take a major hit on trade in/or sell can buy alot of gasoline for that gasoline guzzling truck.

2012 F250 Lariat CC FX4 3.55EL 6.7 PSD (Pulling Beast and all Stock)

2011 Edge Limited (Wifes)
Old 01-04-2013, 11:05 AM
Post Fiend

2ndStroke has a superb reputation2ndStroke has a superb reputation2ndStroke has a superb reputation2ndStroke has a superb reputation2ndStroke has a superb reputation2ndStroke has a superb reputation2ndStroke has a superb reputation2ndStroke has a superb reputation2ndStroke has a superb reputation2ndStroke has a superb reputation2ndStroke has a superb reputation
Owned my 6.7 for a year and a half now. Had 2 check engine lights for bad sensors in the first 6 months, the last year has been flawless, no issues. The last flash has helped a lot with the shifting, which was the only thing that annoyed me with this truck.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:43 PM
Senior User

Jefff H is starting off with a positive reputation.
My 2012 F350 has 20k and no problems.

My last 5 new gas trucks have all went over 100K without problems. Four Fords and one GM.

Being new to diesel I'm getting the impression that Power Stroke owners seem to expect problems and consider them normal. I mean no offense, but I have never seen problems like I've been seeing here with the gas motors.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:54 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefff H View Post
My 2012 F350 has 20k and no problems.

My last 5 new gas trucks have all went over 100K without problems. Four Fords and one GM.

Being new to diesel I'm getting the impression that Power Stroke owners seem to expect problems and consider them normal. I mean no offense, but I have never seen problems like I've been seeing here with the gas motors.
Uh yeah, machines break, hence the problem occurs. Fords, Chevys, and Dodges all do it.

Maybe the "problem" here is how we define a problem. Any time something breaks or no longer works correctly, that to me is a failure, and hence a problem. If a power window stops going up, I would consider that a problem. If there is a small oil leak, that's a problem too. CEL is a problem. Funny squeak or rattle is... you guessed it, a problem.

So by my definition, if you have had 5 gas trucks, and every one of them went over 100k miles without a single problem, then that to me is beyond phenomenal. That is galactically amazing, and statistically virtually impossible! So either one of two things are going on here... either 1: You are the luckiest living organism ever to live, or 2: You definition of "problem" is a little more relaxed than mine.

Carl
2012 F350 6.7L PS KR+Chrome Dually Crew Cab Platinum White FX4 3.73LS PTO Dual-Alt Block Htr Tailgate step 5th Whl/GN package BU-Alarm Nav Upfitter switches Moonroof Mud flaps Toughbed Cable lock Dual headrest DVD Pop-n-Lock tailgate lock Amp sidestep EZ Down Tailgate Assist Tonneau
Old 01-04-2013, 03:48 PM
Senior User

Jefff H is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by los341 View Post
Uh yeah, machines break, hence the problem occurs. Fords, Chevys, and Dodges all do it.

Maybe the "problem" here is how we define a problem. Any time something breaks or no longer works correctly, that to me is a failure, and hence a problem. If a power window stops going up, I would consider that a problem. If there is a small oil leak, that's a problem too. CEL is a problem. Funny squeak or rattle is... you guessed it, a problem.

So by my definition, if you have had 5 gas trucks, and every one of them went over 100k miles without a single problem, then that to me is beyond phenomenal. That is galactically amazing, and statistically virtually impossible! So either one of two things are going on here... either 1: You are the luckiest living organism ever to live, or 2: You definition of "problem" is a little more relaxed than mine.

Carl
No need to attack.

Like I said please don't take offense, but you are proving my point. The Power Stroke engine line has more problems than any engine in the history of engines. Having said that I have taken a chance on my '12 and hope to break the cycle, but I will not bury my head in the sand! Oh and I did have a radiator hose pop off one of those trucks. Please forgive me.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:10 PM
Senior User

Joe_planet is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
No need to attack.

Like I said please don't take offense, but you are proving my point. The Power Stroke engine line has more problems than any engine in the history of engines. Having said that I have taken a chance on my '12 and hope to break the cycle, but I will not bury my head in the sand! Oh and I did have a radiator hose pop off one of those trucks. Please forgive me.
If you made an internet forum for every make and model and asked people what problems they've had I'm sure you'd fill every forum.

The truck comes with a warranty. Nothing is perfect.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:11 PM
Senior User

Quote:
No need to attack.
I fail to see how what I said could be interpreted as an attack.

Quote:
Like I said please don't take offense
I never felt offended, nor did I indicate such.

Quote:
but you are proving my point
I don't see how anything I said goes toward proving your point sir.

Quote:
The Power Stroke engine line has more problems than any engine in the history of engines. Having said that I have taken a chance on my '12 and hope to break the cycle, but I will not bury my head in the sand! Oh and I did have a radiator hose pop off one of those trucks. Please forgive me.
Well that seems like a broad statement to me. We are talking about the 6.7L engine, not the entire Powerstroke engine line, are we not? Regardless, I've owned Fords, Chevys, and Dodges all my life and have no affinity towards any particular brand. However, as I'm sure you can tell, I am VERY fond of my current truck! It has served its purpose well.

I wish you the best of luck on the risky chance you took by purchasing a Powerstroke sir. I hope the odds pay off for you. However, I am curious as to why you bought it if you consider the Powerstroke to be the most problematic engine in the history of engines!

Carl
Old 01-04-2013, 04:30 PM
Posting Guru

RM2738 has a very good reputation on FTE.RM2738 has a very good reputation on FTE.RM2738 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsfarmer View Post

I guess what I need is just a little convincing to switch back over to a Ford instead of getting another GM product or changing over to a '13 Ram Laramie.
Here's the problem with this statement... This is Ford Truck ENTHUSIASTS. Most of us are enthusiastic about our trucks. If you really want to poll truck owners, it's probably in your best interest to be on a GM, Chrysler and Toyota Forum and ask them how may problems they've had as well. You will find lots of people that have problems. My inlaws have a Tundra that has given them problems. My buddy is in Finance at one of the largest Dodge dealers in Texas and Ram's come in all the time with problems. I'm sure GM has the same. Realistically, you need to buy what YOU want and suits your needs. We live in an imperfect world.

The reality is, many of the members on sites such as this most likely became members because they were searching for solutions to a PROBLEM. I see it almost daily. A newbie shows up with 1-5 posts and asks what a CEL means or why they're getting a knocking sound or why their AC isn't working.

Just my $.02.
2010 F250 FX4 King Ranch 6.4L, SWB, 3.55 H&S Mini Maxx, S&B CAI, 4" Powerstroker67 downpipe, 4" aFe Exhaust, 2.5" Leveling Kit, Bilstein 5100's, Rancho Steering Stabikizer, DieselSite Coolant Filter, Fumoto Oil Drain Valve
Old 01-04-2013, 04:37 PM
Postmaster

Chad149 has a spectacular reputation.Chad149 has a spectacular reputation.Chad149 has a spectacular reputation.Chad149 has a spectacular reputation.Chad149 has a spectacular reputation.Chad149 has a spectacular reputation.Chad149 has a spectacular reputation.Chad149 has a spectacular reputation.Chad149 has a spectacular reputation.Chad149 has a spectacular reputation.Chad149 has a spectacular reputation.
17k on my 2012 6.7. No problems what so ever. P.S.-in my friendship circle Dodge Cummins has had the most trucks bought back under lemon law! But we beat the heck out of them:-)
Old 01-04-2013, 06:58 PM
Freshman User

Dagmandt is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had seat belt clasps on my '12 that creaked and popped like crazy. Dealer replaced both without so much as a whimper and the replacements are great. 2,000 miles and no other problems as one would expect with such low mileage. Only had it a short while.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:16 PM
Postmaster

kper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant future
No issues with the 6.7L engine.
I did have solenoids replaced in the transmission and the front diff began leaking so it was resealed.
Truck runs better at 40,000 than it did at 4 when I got it.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:16 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel