Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tool kit recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 11:29 PM
ChefJeff1
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tool kit recommendation

Hey, I bought a 1994 F250 to use as a work/play truck. What tool kit would you recommend? And what spare parts would you recommend I keep in the truck?
I'm often off the beaten path.

It seems most tools are not American made, I prefer an American made set.
Thanks, Jeff

Old 01-04-2013, 02:14 AM
GNR22
Fabri-cobbler
Received 515 Likes on 340 Posts
I always use Craftsman tools. They're guaranteed for life. If one breaks, take it back and you get a brand new one. Hard to beat a guarantee like that. But no matter what tools you have on your truck, you always need something you don't have.

I have some big 100 and some piece ratchet set I keep in my truck, plus some relays, fuses, an a wiring kit. I also have a screw driver set and a few sets of pliers and some zip ties. Of course, that isn't enough tools to fix everything, but I can fix a lot of stuff on the go. A toolbox in the bed is also very handy so you have room to keep your things.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:08 AM
fdude64
Posting Guru
i keep a standard/metric socket set 3/8 and 1/4 drive also a standard set of wrenches 3/8 to 1 inch and a set of standard/metric wrenches 5mm to 17mm 1/4 to 7/8 5lb hammer and various screwdrivers various pliers ratchet straps and tow chains in my bed tool box

Old 01-04-2013, 06:27 AM
bdelmar2
Senior User
My truck is kind of a rolling toolbox so I have most everything I need in it, but for my car I have the Craftsman 154 piece kit, costs around $89 and has most of the basic hand tools you would need in a pinch.

Its a little short on wrenches, the largest is 5/8's I think, probably about as big as you are likely to use on the side of the road, but you could always pick up a few more, say up to 18mm. I think a set of wrenches up to that are like $20, same for comparable SAE.

There is a little extra space in the case and I put a knife or two in there, some black electric tape, a bit of wire, and a pair of needle nose and a pair of regular pliers and some other odds and ends, small chisel, punch, etc....

As a side note, make sure the case is the right way up before you open it. I don't use that set very often and have on ocassion opened it wrong way up, not pretty.

I also have a 2 1/2 pd short handled driving hammer, a couple pair of good vice grips, a cheater bar, and some decent jumper cables, and a can of PB Blaster.

And in a small bag that used to be a lunch cooler I have a multimeter and a test light, some connectors, zip ties, some electrical wire, etc.

Finally (I think) I have one of those large plastic jars that cheese ***** or pretzels come in - a little over gallon size I would say - full of various fuses, relays, bulbs and various items like that I have collected from junking cars/trucks and or trips to the upullit.

I keep all this inside a spare kitchen sink wedged in on the passenger side of the trunk, lol. Actually I have an olds 88 and it doesn't take up that much trunk space. Also have a quart of oil, and a quart of trans fluid, and a small bottle of brake fluid in there too, probably a antifreeze jug with water as well.

I seldom use this stuff for myself anymore, but I have helped several people on the side of the road, and when I used to sell parts on CL from a lot with 100 or so vehicles it was much handier than having to get my truck everytime.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:05 AM
Yaga1973
Elder User - What???

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not usually into universal tool sets, but my wife got the following kit for me that I take to salvage yards and the like:

Craftsman 58PC UNIVERSAL MAX AXESS MECHANICS TOOL SET - Tools - Tool Sets - Mechanics Tool Sets

I will say this set was put together well. The only things I take in addition to this set is a set of screwdrivers, a pry bar, a break over, and your standard pliers such a vice grips and large adjustable end wrench. I would say that you should be able to take care of just about anything you would want to tackle on the side of the road with this set up. Of course, having things like jumper cables with a case, a cheater bar, a good jack, and the other things bdelmar2 mentioned above are also a must. I also like to carry a 20ft logging chain or ******/winch strap for helping others or doing truck stuff like moving trees. A good locking toolbox in your bed can be a good thing to have with all of these things, especially if you like to keep things like speakers behind your seat. However, all of the things you need should be able to be kept behind your seat if organized nicely. That is one of the reasons I like the set above so much.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:27 AM
bashby
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
+1 on craftsman for home use. Catch them on sale. They aren't as good as the older craftsman stuff, but they are a fraction of the cost of Snap-On, Mac, etc. If money isn't a concern, treat yourself to the big name stuff.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:48 AM
Yaga1973
Elder User - What???

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bashby
+1 on craftsman for home use. Catch them on sale. They aren't as good as the older craftsman stuff, but they are a fraction of the cost of Snap-On, Mac, etc. If money isn't a concern, treat yourself to the big name stuff.
I've used my Craftsman sockets, combination end wrenches, screwdrivers, and other common hand tools professionally as well. I have an odd collection of tools as I started with a 180 piece set and a standard 3 drawer Craftsman tool box my parents purchased for me when I first started working on things when I was about 14. My tools are mostly Craftsman, but I do have a few ratchets that Craftsman doesn't make, a Bluepoint set of polished ratchets, Snap-On locking extensions, and a lot of specialized tools that most don't have. I've always preferred to use 6 point sockets and the correct tools for the job and I've avoided breaking tools and knuckles because of this. (I've never been one to use cheater bars unless absolutely necessary.) Mac, Snap-On, and Matco have some nice tools, but most of them are made in the same factories that make Craftsman tools as well.

I was told a long time ago that if I need to borrow a tool more than twice from a coworker or friend, I needed to purchase it for myself. That was probably the best advice I was given regarding tools as it's easy to get wrapped up in "I might need that someday" and buy things you don't really need. Most big sets of tools have a lot of things and sizes you really don't need.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:49 PM
ChefJeff1
Junior User
Thanks guys, I'm thinking a craftsman socket and wrench set, some screw drivers, jumper cables, extra fluids, fuses, a tow strap, light, 44 magnum revolver and a knife should do it.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:46 PM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
A engine belt is a must, easy to store and can save you if yours happen to fail. What you mentioned should be enough, and if you live in a place that gets hit hard by the winter I would add tire chains and a very warm blanket.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:58 PM
ChefJeff1
Junior User
Actually, tire chains came with the truck. It's going to be around zero tonight so yea, it's a cold. Sleeping bag, extra clothes, food, and water go in the vehicle if I'm going anywhere besides work or in to town.

Good tip on an extra belt!