1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Has anyone installed a Vintage Auto Garage conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 06:52 PM
SeattleF3
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone installed a Vintage Auto Garage conversion?

I started the conversion install today on my '52 F3. In spite of the very general/vague "directions", I was confident going into this. I installed the alternator (after figuring out how their bracket fit) but now it looks like the stock generator belt will not fit., and it doesn't look like there is any provision for belt tension adjustment. I am a little concerned that I might have made a poor choice with this purchase.

Any intelligent input would be welcome!

Old 01-03-2013, 07:11 PM
South of BC
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SeattleF3
I guess that rules me out!! I had to Google Vintage Auto Garage to figure out what you were talking about.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:44 PM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 859 Likes on 458 Posts
Originally Posted by SeattleF3
I started the conversion install today on my '52 F3. In spite of the very general/vague "directions", I was confident going into this. I installed the alternator (after figuring out how their bracket fit) but now it looks like the stock generator belt will not fit., and it doesn't look like there is any provision for belt tension adjustment. I am a little concerned that I might have made a poor choice with this purchase.

I take it you are installing their 12v or 6v alternator. the bracket should slide up and down, just like the original. Do you have some pictures to give us an idea?

Old 01-04-2013, 01:14 AM
SeattleF3
Freshman User
Yeah, I am converting to 12 from 6v (the coil was going, so it was a good time to do it). I can see how the alternator bracket should slide, but it is as low as the bracket can go and it is still maybe 1/4" high for the belt to fit. If I need to run a slightly larger belt it isn't the end of the world, just wasn't expecting it and with the lack of information (directions) from the vendor it is tough to know if I am mounting things correctly.

I will take pics in the next few days - wrapped up just as the weather was rolling in today.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:19 AM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Is the pulley on the new alternator wide enough for the belt? If the pulley is for a car, they used a narrow belt. If the belt doesn't seat down in the pulley it will seem to short.

You probably know all of this, I'm just bouncing around ideas from past experience. A friend of mine put a generator with a narrow pulley (from a car) on his '53 F100, and the belt road up on the pulley making it too short. He put on a longer belt but it wore quickly because it wasn't getting enough contact.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:49 PM
SeattleF3
Freshman User
Thanks ET. I follow the philosophy that I know nothing, that way I am either smarter than I thought or at least just right! It is ideas and experience that I seek here, so my thanks to you for your time and thoughts.

I will compare the pulley from the generator with the one on the new alternator - I think they are the same, but didn't do a side by side comparison. The alternator is supposed to be made for this application, but that doesn't mean I got the one promised/intended. I'll get a peek at it today, and I am planning on calling Vintage Auto Garage and ask them as well. Thanks again.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:33 AM
38 coupe
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 57 Posts
Is this the kit? 6-12V conversion kit

Old 01-05-2013, 01:45 PM
SeattleF3
Freshman User
38 -Yeah, 6 to 12v conversion kit. Have you used it? I am beginning to feel like I may be one of the first.

Old 01-05-2013, 03:41 PM
38 coupe
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 57 Posts
No I have not used it. On the 12V conversions I have done I use a 12V generator. The 56 and later Ford generators are the same size as the stock 6V unit. Disassemble both the 12V and 6V generators. Use the armature and case from the 12V unit and the front cover, back cover, and pulley from the 6V unit. Swap to a 12V regulator and instant 12V charging system with stock wiring.

I have had to do this twice to fix botched alternator installs and am doing it for the first time to one of my cars only because I am adding A/C. I have always gotten the stock 6V system to do everything I needed (except air conditioning).

Old 01-05-2013, 07:20 PM
SeattleF3
Freshman User
Well, I understand what you are saying, but going with an alternator is best for me. I am wondering if ANYONE has used one of these systems?

Old 02-17-2013, 07:28 AM
DADx2
New User
Hey Seattle, I too am using the same conversion kit. I found this thread while searching to see what belt length to use.

My alternator came with the correct width pulley that matches the original ones. I am having a hard time finding a local parts house with these "larger" width belts.

If I score belts that work, I will post back here. Otherwise, I will be checking here to see if you beat me to it.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:26 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Lots of past threads on this, an advanced search will turn them up. Try hooking the belt in the pulley before putting the slingshot on the intake manifold. Also loosening the big nut to allow the slingshot to tip forward. But you may still need to goto a longer belt.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:35 AM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Originally Posted by DADx2
My alternator came with the correct width pulley that matches the original ones. I am having a hard time finding a local parts house with these "larger" width belts.

If I score belts that work, I will post back here. Otherwise, I will be checking here to see if you beat me to it.
Try a farm supply store, or a tractor dealer. A lot of equipment uses the wide belt.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:03 AM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by South of BC
I guess that rules me out!! I had to Google Vintage Auto Garage to figure out what you were talking about.
Ha ha, me too. I thought he was going to build a vintage auto garage. Maybe an old service station.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:28 PM
SeattleF3
Freshman User
@ Dadx2 - you also bought the kit from VAG? I was beginning to think I was alone on this one! I have been in pretty regular contact with "Len" the vendor (though he uses a couple names?) since getting the kit, and while I am still hoping he will make things right, I am not very happy so far.

The first step is to read the instructions - something most men (including me) aren't fond of. These directions seemed to expect you to already have a fairly high level of ability with the particular engine - something I don't have. I am not completely green, on the contrary, but it took me a while to realize that the instructions are vague for a reason - they are very general because they are the same one used for many applications! So be prepared to use a manual along with these "instructions".

The first thing I did was install the slingshot bracket that was said to be specific for my application. The pulley is the correct size, as it should be, but it is about an inch too tall. I figured I did something wrong, and moved on to installing the coil. As I was hand tightening the nut on the negative post the post itself snapped in two! Seems it is hollow and was drilled off center so it snapped. I contacted the vendor, some back and forth emails and pictures and he promised to "stand behind the product" and sent me a replacement.

I went back to the bracket installation but after checking, it was evident that I hadn't done anything wrong, the bracket was too tall. I took pictures, eventually even made a diagram, but so far I was told to find a belt that fit (and let the vendor know so he can provide them to future purchasers) or give precise measurements of what is wrong with the bracket and how to fix it - sorry, but I remember PAYING for this, so how is the R&D my responsibility?

So, I have attempted step one, and both components have failed. The new coil has soldered tops on the posts, so I wonder whether this one will be any better. The last communication from the vendor admitted that the bracket is one he uses "on many flatheads" and so if it doesn't fit...

As I said, I haven't given up yet, and its obvious this guy is new to this, but I am trying hard to have hope that this will end up well. If you are thinking about doing a 12v conversion and are interested in Vintage Auto Garage's kit, you may want to hold off for a bit to see how it ends up. At almost $400, it isn't a bargain.

I had an accident that required hand surgery, so I won't be under the hood real soon (which is killing me) but I won't let this one go. So stayed tuned.

Btw, VAG offers the bracket specifically for my engine for $60. Really?

Quick Reply: Has anyone installed a Vintage Auto Garage conversion?