Sponsored by: Moser

oil change ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 11:25 PM
smokersteve
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
oil change ideas?

I changed my 2011 f-150 5.0l oil today. nothing new. Pulled the drain plug and removed the filter. Should I do more? I let it sit for 2 hours draining.

And I hate how there is oil residual from the filter. I spray purple power(water base degreaser) to clean the oil filter plastic spill guard.

EDIT "UPDATE"

1. Pressing the gas pedal all the way to the floor while starting the engine will only turn over the engine. There is no fuel being injected.
This will prime the engine with oil that was losed when the oil filter was removed.

Old 01-03-2013, 05:11 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,219 Likes on 802 Posts
What sort of ideas are you looking for?

Old 01-03-2013, 09:54 AM
smokersteve
Posting Guru
Im wondering if there are any extra tips/tricks to get more oil out, or even get more oil primed in the system to prevent the dry start after the oil change.

I do fill the oil filter with oil.
The first time I changed my oil on this truck the oil went everywhere.
The second time/this time, I filled it half way and I had no oil spill.

Both times I changed the oil, I had to add 8.2-8.5 quarts to reach the top oil level mark.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:17 AM
jyarosz
Mountain Pass
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
When I do my oil changes on the first start I hold the gas pedal to the floor and crank the engine for 10 to 15 seconds to prime the oiling system.The engine won't start if you floor the gas pedal.You don't have to trust me go try it now.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:20 AM
smokersteve
Posting Guru
I like that idea. I will try it soon and see if it starts or does not start.

if it works, great idea, thanks!

Old 01-03-2013, 10:43 AM
gDMJoe
Laughing Gas
Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
In addtion to priming the oil filter ... Smear and few drops of oil on the oil filter gasket.

And as long as you're under there ... Use silicone spray to lube/protect -ALL- of the rubber bushings (shocks, control arms, ball joints, sway bar, end-links, etc.), boots (axle shafts, driveshaft, etc.), body mounts, etc., etc., etc..

------------------------------

-click- the pic'
Goth 150
< This space intentionally -blank- >

Old 01-03-2013, 12:11 PM
smokersteve
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by gDMJoe
In addtion to priming the oil filter ... Smear and few drops of oil on the oil filter gasket.

I take the rubber ring off and wipe it with new oil.

And as long as you're under there ... Use silicone spray to lube/protect -ALL- of the rubber bushings (shocks, control arms, ball joints, sway bar, end-links, etc.), boots (axle shafts, driveshaft, etc.), body mounts, etc., etc., etc..

------------------------------

-click- the pic'
Goth 150
< This space intentionally -blank- >
comments ^^^^^^

Old 01-03-2013, 12:20 PM
ratrace2
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's a fast oil change

Originally Posted by smokersteve
I changed my 2011 f-150 5.0l oil today. nothing new. Pulled the drain plug and removed the filter. Should I do more? I let it sit for 2 hours draining.

And I hate how there is oil residual from the filter. I spray purple power(water base degreaser) to clean the oil filter plastic spill guard.
Remove the filler cap.
Remove the filter.
THEN: I like to empty the oil in my truck when it is warm, then I jack/tilt it so the drain is the low side of the pan and let it drain. It is really fast that way.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:48 PM
Beechkid
Received 209 Likes on 160 Posts
Originally Posted by jyarosz
When I do my oil changes on the first start I hold the gas pedal to the floor and crank the engine for 10 to 15 seconds to prime the oiling system.The engine won't start if you floor the gas pedal.You don't have to trust me go try it now.
While it is true that it will not start, you also have risk of fuel puddling in the cylinders, by passing the rings going into the oil and washing out your crankshaft bearings or at minimum, excessively thinning the oil at the bearings for only a fraction of a second....the conept is good, the method not a good idea.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:13 PM
smokersteve
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ratrace2
Remove the filler cap.
Remove the filter.
THEN: I like to empty the oil in my truck when it is warm, then I jack/tilt it so the drain is the low side of the pan and let it drain. It is really fast that way.

When the truck is warm you will not get all of the oil drained. The oil that is in the pan does drain faster but not all of the oil in the engine had drained to the pan.

Changing the oil when it is cold, generally means that the truck has been sitting for a while and the oil has drained to the pan.

I prefer to drain the oil then let it sit over night draining. Then fill it up the following morning. This gets the most oil out.

the times that I dont let it sit over night, I change it when it is cold, --never warm--. I do this because the truck has been sitting for a long time, so a large majority of the oil is already drained to the pan, and not still on all of the parts from previously running, compared to when it is warm from previously running...

Old 01-03-2013, 01:24 PM
smokersteve
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Beechkid
While it is true that it will not start, you also have risk of fuel puddling in the cylinders, by passing the rings going into the oil and washing out your crankshaft bearings or at minimum, excessively thinning the oil at the bearings for only a fraction of a second....the conept is good, the method not a good idea.

I highly doubt that ford programed to fuel the truck with out a spark.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:09 PM
Beechkid
Received 209 Likes on 160 Posts
Originally Posted by smokersteve
I highly doubt that ford programed to fuel the truck with out a spark.
True, but ECM's & fuel injectors on lines pressurized to 300 psi do funny things

Old 01-03-2013, 02:56 PM
04XLTRUNNER
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Beechkid

when you hold the pedal down and start it shuts off the fuel and ignition. This is a way technicians use to diagnose certian things in the system. so no worry about fuel puddling up.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:21 AM
smokersteve
Posting Guru
I will be trying this out tomorrow.

Old 01-04-2013, 05:13 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,219 Likes on 802 Posts
Not intending to disrespect anyone's maintenance procedures but these all seem to be taking a simple oil change to the extreme. Perhaps I don't take it seriously enough, IDK.

Truth be told, I'm slowly getting out of the oil change business. I take my 2011 to the dealer every time.

As for my '04 Expy and 2010 Focus, I do them myself. I do pull up on the ramps and allow it to sit over night. In the morning, I remove the drain plug. While draining, I remove the old filter and prep the new one.

I completely wipe the entire underside where oil may have touched something, double check to ensure that there is no oil filter gasket remaining, inspect the under body and front end, replace the drain plug, install the new filter and add oil.

After the oil has been added, I start the vehicle and allow it to idle while I clean up my mess. While still on the ramps, I shut it down after I'm cleaned up and check for leaks. No leaks, I'm done.

30 minutes max.

Quick Reply: oil change ideas?