1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Tender vs Battery Minder

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 07:38 PM
62cwil
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Battery Tender vs Battery Minder

I have a 2001 F250 SuperDuty 7.3 PowerStroke. I recently replaced my two batteries as they had died due to lack of use. Other than when I take off on RV 5th Wheel trips my F250 sits. I do go out and start but forgot to the last 4 weeks, thus them having to be re charged in order to get going.

Someone told me about either a Battery Minder or Tender but not sure.
1. By having two batteries on my truck do I need a Minder or Tender for each battery or will connecting to one be sufficient.
2. Can someone recommend one to me that they have had good experience with.
3. Can you leave it hooked up all the time or do you have to disconnect when you go to crank up.

I appreciate any guidance anyone can provide.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:34 PM
gfl
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can only offer that the battery tenders come with a set of connectors that you can hard wire to your battery and a set of clamps you can use also.

Both these options plug into the wiring from the battery tender unit via 2 wire connector.

I have a 2 battery unit connected to my boat now awaiting spring.Smaller versions on quads n motorcycle

Old 01-02-2013, 10:44 PM
SasquatchZilla
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 62cwil
1. By having two batteries on my truck do I need a Minder or Tender for each battery or will connecting to one be sufficient.
I assume it's 12v? You'll need to calculate the minimum amps required for storage charging. Check the makers or look on the labels.

I've used both with good luck. Just stay away from the Harbor freight garbage. LOL

3. Can you leave it hooked up all the time or do you have to disconnect when you go to crank up.
Yes, that's what they're designed for. Although, if they're flooded batteries you'll have to deal with sulfation. http://rollsbatteryne.com/docs/A%20S...%20Battery.pdf There's specific chargers that can deal with that. there's many types of automotive batteries. You can look at the manufacturers website to check to make sure you get the correct one. I work on industrial electric equipment that uses huge flooded batteries. A battery that isn't "exercised" and given a full charge will sulfate. The larger chargers have "equalize" functions and even use high frequencies to deal with the issue.

In fact that's what I always recommend. Check with both the battery's maker and the chargers to insure they're compatible.

If you get the style that mounts to the vehicle I recommend ensuring a safe location to make sure it will stay safe and operational. I'm a little ocd so I always put a meter on them time to time to make sure they're working.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:35 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,090 Likes on 2,154 Posts
i use the harbor freight solar battery charger in everything i own.. no problems in over 12 years.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:40 AM
Ginther
Laughing Gas
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by 62cwil
I have a 2001 F250 SuperDuty 7.3 PowerStroke. I recently replaced my two batteries as they had died due to lack of use. Other than when I take off on RV 5th Wheel trips my F250 sits. I do go out and start but forgot to the last 4 weeks, thus them having to be re charged in order to get going.

I appreciate any guidance anyone can provide.
I have a similar situation. My truck sits for days, sometimes weeks at a time without being started. I used to use a cheap little trickle charger from harbor freight - Automatic Battery Charger - 12V , but it started getting really hot like it was going to burst into flames, so I stopped using it.

After reading your post I started researching the two you mentioned -

The BatteryMINDer - 12v Battery Charger, Battery Desulfator, Battery Maintainer, Charger

and

The BatteryTENDER - Home page - Batterytender.com

Interesting read - http://batteryminders.com/forms/mast...aintainers.pdf

and - Batteryminders Specials | BatteryMinders.com

Since we have two batteries run in parallel I think I'm going to go with the BatteryMINDer 2012.

Use it initially to de-sulfate each battery individually, then hook it up normally to maintain them.

$90, free shipping, no tax, a free gift (multimeter or batt tester) and automatic warranty registration. Sounds good to me.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:14 PM
galaxie641
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
We use the small $20 battery tender Jr. on a lot of diesel equipment with dual batteries, only hook it to one and leave them plugged in all winter. They have all paid for themselves by saving the batteries, used to replace them every few years from running down each winter.

Can be found on sale at stores for $20 or less at times:
Battery Tender 021-0123 Battery Tender Junior 12V Battery Charger : Amazon.com : Automotive Battery Tender 021-0123 Battery Tender Junior 12V Battery Charger : Amazon.com : Automotive

Old 08-27-2018, 11:21 AM
bushpilot
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm a battery minder guy!
I've been using them since the 90s.....Northern too has 'em on-sale right now for $29 (normally retails for $49, but rarely priced at that).
I back into the driveway...as a habit but I also hate cords running all over the place....
I run the cord under the garage door or thru a gap...

I never have to worry about running over a cord this way.....and If I forget to unplug - the ends just pull apart (no harm no foul)...

Old 08-27-2018, 02:25 PM
moymurfs
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bushpilot
I'm a battery minder guy!
I've been using them since the 90s.....Northern too has 'em on-sale right now for $29 (normally retails for $49, but rarely priced at that).
I back into the driveway...as a habit but I also hate cords running all over the place....
I run the cord under the garage door or thru a gap...

I never have to worry about running over a cord this way.....and If I forget to unplug - the ends just pull apart (no harm no foul)...

HA! I love it !

Old 08-27-2018, 03:45 PM
D.Yaros
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have been maintaining the battery on my collector vehicle (a 1962 Oldsmobile Dynamic 88 Conv, which by the way is for sale - SEE online at 62Olds [index.html]) for well over 10 years without incident. Stays on whenever the car is in the garage.

My maintainer of choice is the Battery Tender Plus. Price is right, has a decent warranty and gets the job done!

Old 08-27-2018, 03:54 PM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
both are similar. tender or minder...... the "JR" is not for a large battery .. and NOT for 2 batteries..

I am a battery tender Brand.guy over 10 years now.. I own 4 of them... the JR is for the electric start generator....

by the way.. the smart chip inside both are NOT made by ether company..
I have a prototype breadboard of that design chip from 1995.....

Old 08-28-2018, 01:06 PM
Chuck-B
6.7 Weight Loss
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I keep a BatteryTender Plus on my 2003 Thunderbird, it still has the original battery in it.