Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-02-2013, 08:07 PM
Certified Thread Hijacker

Bullitt390 has much to be proud ofBullitt390 has much to be proud ofBullitt390 has much to be proud ofBullitt390 has much to be proud ofBullitt390 has much to be proud ofBullitt390 has much to be proud ofBullitt390 has much to be proud ofBullitt390 has much to be proud ofBullitt390 has much to be proud of
joshjones.thewelder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahiko View Post
Well Anthony ( run6.0run ) is changing his oil about that often. Well maybe every week.

Sean
I was changing the oil in my 2005 every 3-5 weeks.

Josh

2006 F250 XLT 6.0 PowerStroke Diesel 4X4: SRL Custom Tune Atlas 40 FICM Rotella 0W40 DASHBOSS Ford VCM II IDS Custom Y-Pipe Fabrication
Old 01-03-2013, 12:05 AM
Postmaster

olfordsnstone is a splendid one to beholdolfordsnstone is a splendid one to beholdolfordsnstone is a splendid one to beholdolfordsnstone is a splendid one to beholdolfordsnstone is a splendid one to beholdolfordsnstone is a splendid one to beholdolfordsnstone is a splendid one to behold
I remember several years back that fumoto valve was the hot item on this site. Didn't realize that it turned out to be a turd. Glad I didn't jump in with the rest of the gang on that one.

To the poster asking if anyone had forgotten to put in the drain plug when changing the oil, yup, when I was a youngsta with my first truck. I just installed the rebuilt short block and remanned heads in my old Dodge pickup and put the first 1K miles on the engine. I was doing the first oil change on it. Installed the filter, poured the oil in and started the engine. It was knocking so I gave it a little gas to try and get the oil pressure up... Ooops!!! It got louder. Then looked under the truck and saw 5.5 quarts of oil on the ground. In a panic, I smacked my forehead on the top of the door jam rushing into the driver's seat to turn that sucka off. Ouch!

Something I'll always reflect back on when changing the oil in my vehicles these days. Don't think I'll EVER do that one again. Gotta learn by our mistakes.

05 F350 4x4 CC SB Tow Com 6.0 Auto (camper puller)
74 F250 4x4 w/ C8-460 4sp (restore project and wood truck)
07 Everest 295TS Fifth Wheel (rolling beer drinkin' den)
56 Sweetheart (wife)
These are my ladies
Old 01-03-2013, 04:40 AM
Post Fiend

bismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputation
LMAO - it is not a turd at all. It certainly is not a necessary mod, it is simply a convenience thing. If you don't need the convenience, then don't do the mod - pretty simple.

Also, the drain plug magnet is not absolutely essential IMO. If you need a magnet, then it is low odds that the little one on the drain plug will help you much. Numerous examples of needle bearing damage to folks that had the OEM drain plug. Also, I doubt that many of us are going to be getting 500k+ miles out of the trucks - BUT - if you are afraid of lifter needle bearings going through the LPOP, etc., - then put some real magnets on the pan.
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower250A;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD BilletWaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
Old 01-03-2013, 05:24 AM
Post Fiend

Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.
I was thinking more along the lines of if you do find them on the magnet
then you can plan for a $$$$$$$ coming up
and not so much as them getting sucked bak up into the LPOP.

Mark are you up early or up late? I guess I should ask if you MT or CT
3:25 AM here
Sean
6.0l Forum Map : Ask me About It
Old 01-03-2013, 05:54 AM
Post Fiend

bismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputation
Oh - OK. Still think it is a risk much lower than a dozen other possibilities though.

Central Time - getting ready to go sit in a blind ...............
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower250A;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD BilletWaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
Old 01-03-2013, 09:18 AM
Post Fiend

69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of
I placed some earth magnets on the pan next to the Fumoto valve. When draining the oil I remove them. When finished I replace them. No problems.
2007 Thor Jazz 5er, 11k dry weight, 31'
173rd Abn. RVN.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:40 AM
Postmaster

olfordsnstone is a splendid one to beholdolfordsnstone is a splendid one to beholdolfordsnstone is a splendid one to beholdolfordsnstone is a splendid one to beholdolfordsnstone is a splendid one to beholdolfordsnstone is a splendid one to beholdolfordsnstone is a splendid one to behold
Oh, okay Mark. Guess I misunderstood the posts. I do see the value in ease for an oil change but just hadn't prioritized the need... Yet.

CJ, What are earth magnets?

56 Sweetheart (wife)
These are my ladies
Old 01-03-2013, 11:15 AM
Elder User

davbeisner is starting off with a positive reputation.
To the poster about not putting the oil plug back in... reminds me of the first time I bought a superduty... it was an '03 F-250. Bought it at a Ford dealer and had him do a full fluid change for me as part of their deal before I bought it. Drove it home, went to back it into my driveway (rather steep) and it started to slide. Didn't make sense, but I turned my 4x4 on, and it kept sliding... Then I saw a pool of black start to run out from the front of the truck, down the hill... Put it in park with the e-brake on, jumped out to look, and sure enough, the plug was sitting in the middle of the driveway with oil pouring out. I quickly repositioned the truck to get the wheels over the grass for traction, backed it out of the street, and shut it off. Called the fire department to come clean up the hazmat mess (I was on the department at the time) and while they were at my house I called the dealer back and talked to the service manager... told him what had happened and he about puked! Said in the hundreds of thousands of cars he had serviced, I was only the second time that had happened. He immediately sent a flatbed wrecker out to pick up the truck, put a new oil change in it, and offered to do anything else I wanted to the truck!

David -- Ask me about ADVOCARE
'06 F-250 CC 4x4 SRW 8' box, blue spring, SGII, high-idle, DieselSite Coolant Filter, Final Charge EC-1 Coolant, Rotella T6 5W-40 Synth
Old 01-03-2013, 12:03 PM
Post Fiend

69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by olfordsnstone View Post
Oh, okay Mark. Guess I misunderstood the posts. I do see the value in ease for an oil change but just hadn't prioritized the need... Yet.

CJ, What are earth magnets?
I don't know their composition but they are extremely powerful magnets for their size. The ones I used are app. 3/8" in dia. You can get them at Harbor Freight. On my 69 Mustang I also put them on the 3rd member and oil filter housing.
173rd Abn. RVN.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:06 PM
Postmaster

Okay thanks... Oh, and one more question for ya. Can I drive your Mach 1?
Yes, that smile you see is green from envy.

56 Sweetheart (wife)
These are my ladies
Old 01-03-2013, 04:39 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by olfordsnstone View Post
Okay thanks... Oh, and one more question for ya. Can I drive your Mach 1?
Yes, that smile you see is green from envy.
And I'm registered as the original owner.
173rd Abn. RVN.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:58 PM
Posting Guru

Dr. Dirt is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
as the lowest on the totem pole at a dealership with only 5 techs I get about every oil change since I'm not on flag time. no, I've never left the drain plug out.....knock on wood....but one time I thought I blew the oil filter out when I started the car. I started it and oil started blowing out everywhere, I thought frantically and ran to cut the car off. I told one of the other techs. he said oh you probably just left the old oil filter gasket on the car. I've never paid attention to stuff like that because my dad always taught me to oil the o-ring before you put the filter on. now I definitely always look to see if the old gasket is still on there. it was definitely fun to clean that mess up.....

2002 F-150 Lariat Supercrew FX4, 5.4L 2v, 3.55 LS, BFG All-Terrains, MagnaFlow muffler with duals, all LED lights, Pioneer headunit, Kicker sub and amp

"You got to drive that Ford like it's a stallion."-Jack Ingram
Old 01-03-2013, 07:58 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel