Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-01-2013, 11:55 AM
Freshman User

The Eddie is starting off with a positive reputation.
Old B100 Smells Like Paint Thinner...Usable?

I burn store-bought (small indivdual business) B100 in my mechanical BTA-5.9 (when possible); I have since 2000.

Straight B100 sometimes, blended with petroldiesel at others, straight ULSD when I can't avoid it. I have nothing but praises for the stuff (overspills're kinda rough on the paint, tho...)

I was cleaning out my garage, and came across 3 five-gallon jerry cans full of B-?, probably B-100, that I fergot about; bought probably in 2006. It smells exactly like paint thinner; what happened chemically?

I haven't poured any into a clear glass yet to look at it, but what's your feeling--is this stuff usable? My gut tells me HECK NO STOOPID!...but 15 gallons is 15 gallons...

Eddie

Last edited by The Eddie; 01-01-2013 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Missspeld Werds
Old 01-02-2013, 01:49 AM
Postmaster

joshofalltrades has a good reputation on FTE.joshofalltrades has a good reputation on FTE.
i probably wouldn't run it by itself, but if you run it through a filter to catch anything funny that may have settled out, then pour one jerry can of it into a mostly full tank of fuel, i would expect it to blend in and be totally harmless.
i burn a mix of waste motor oil (WMO) in my 6.9, and the engine doesn't respond any differently no matter what i pour in it. some days the WMO smells of gasoline, other days of 90wt. but i don't run more than about 25% WMO, so being 75%+ pump fuel with a little of whatever else mixed in, its totally happy.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:18 PM
Freshman User

The Eddie is starting off with a positive reputation.
Well, That's What I Wanted to Hear...

...now that you got me thinkin' 'bout it, kerosine/heating oil/real old Scotch (kidding) smells just like this "well-aged" B100, too.

Kerosine/heating oil is winter-time Diesel No. 1, right?
We're in the very coldest depths of "Winter" here in South Texas right now; it's a bitterly cold Arctic-like 56-degrees right now)--So I better get after it before "winter" ends tomorrow.

eddiE

Last edited by The Eddie; 01-02-2013 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Needed to add emphasis on how cold it...isn't
Old 01-02-2013, 11:48 PM
Postmaster

joshofalltrades has a good reputation on FTE.joshofalltrades has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Eddie View Post
Kerosine/heating oil is winter-time Diesel No. 1, right?
not exactly i don't think, but close counts on these things. you can burn darn near anything in an IDI.

and your 56 degrees of "cold" sounds like a mediocre day of SUMMER around here - i have a little snow on the ground and i'm guessing windchill puts us below 20, while actual temp is probably upper 20s at night and somewhere in the 30s for a high.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:52 PM
Elder User

speedwrench72 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Jet fuel/ and JetA1 (winter Jet), clear evaporates,no resadue..is not kerosene,,/ stove oil,same as #1 diesel, same as kerosene, dyed when used as stove oil, for heating (no road tax),,..#2 diesel, dyed when used as furnace oil,or of road or farm use,
Wanted 93 crew cab f350 idi... Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voteing on what to have for lunch, Liberty is a well-Armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin... My Boy is a MARINE.... 72 F250 390 HI BOY 4speed.... 91 E350 7.3 idi..KF7POL
Old 01-24-2013, 11:03 PM
Elder User

speedwrench72 is starting off with a positive reputation.
More power,,(BTU) in B100 than #2 ,, but it thickins when cold..more BTU in WMO than #2,, same problem...First three rule's with WVO or WMO,.#1..Fillter,#2 Heat and Fillter,#3 Fillter more..Blend and repeat...
Wanted 93 crew cab f350 idi... Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voteing on what to have for lunch, Liberty is a well-Armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin... My Boy is a MARINE.... 72 F250 390 HI BOY 4speed.... 91 E350 7.3 idi..KF7POL
Old 01-24-2013, 11:03 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels