Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

got a turbo kit today. prototype???

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 04:09 PM
NintendoKD
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starts and runs. leaks oil still, seems to be quite a bit after stopping, then dies down as the truck idles. a small leak is the turbo feed line. I can't get more than 5psi out of this turbo. this is at 2500 rpm's to get 5psi. road draft tube seems to be working well, just turned the cdr around and stuck a hose on it to vent it torward the rear of the truck. plugged the hole in the intake mani with an expanding rubber plug from the hardware store, and some jb stick.

Old 01-14-2013, 04:53 PM
Phy
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The white wire from the controller is switched ground. The controller connects that to ground when it wants to close the relay. A standard GP relay has mounting ears that are electrically isolated from any of the terminals. The 2 small terminals on those relays are both ends of the coil circuit: with 12v from the red wire connected to one, and switched ground from the white wire connected to the other, the controller can operate the relay by switching ground on the white wire.
A starter relay has one end of the control coil connected to the small terminal (or "S" terminal if it has 2 small terminals), and the other end of the coil connected to the mounting ears for ground. When using a starter relay, it needs to mount to the controller (when mounted to the controller like the original, the mounting tabs are not grounded through the screws...), and the white wire connected to one of the mounting screws so that the controller can supply switched ground to it.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:18 PM
444dieselrod
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NintendoKD
I can't get more than 5psi out of this turbo. this is at 2500 rpm's to get 5psi. road draft tube seems to be working well, just turned the cdr around and stuck a hose on it to vent it torward the rear of the truck. plugged the hole in the intake mani with an expanding rubber plug from the hardware store, and some jb stick.
Is this driving it down the road or just revving in the yard? I wouldn't expect alot from that turbo, no one knows what it is or what its A/R is.

Have you turned up the fuel on your pump at all?

Not knowing what the turbo is and running it with stock N/A IDI fuel, I wouldn't expect more then 5-7 PSI

Diesel Rod

Old 01-15-2013, 01:35 AM
NintendoKD
Junior User
Actual driving, all terrain, hills, flats, multiple surfaces. I live in the desert. I bought a new controller. I pick up from autojunk tomorrow, as well as a new injector re-ring kit, and a new TPS, so it looks like I will be calibrating my tps tomorrow, need to look up the how-to on that. I am fixing the return lines as well. looks like the return fuel on a couple of injectors is getting a little wet. I have a wet-ish fuel pump, and a brand spankin new pump sitting in an airtex box in the truck so I'll install that tomorrow too. I need to track this leak down lickety split, it's not gushing but a pretty consistent drip is going on. I suspect is was aggravated by my blowing boost into the crankcase "oops" seems to be only on the pass side of the engine, right around the starter area. my cross tube, tranny lines, and tranny pan are pretty seeped in oil, and have drops hanging from them. I didn't have this problem before. I know where a small, and I mean small leak is, on my turbo supply line which I plan to fix tomorrow as well. looks like I'm grounded till then. don't want o drive on an unreliable truck, that consumes oil. more boost would be nice, just 5 psi for 1k pricey, seems to use a bit too much fuel for what it is. I am only averaging about 15mpg, or so, right now even less. I have to admit, the pucker effect is getting to me.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:35 PM
NintendoKD
Junior User
Ok, cleaned the royal crap outta everything in the engine bay, with dollar store oven cleaner. I found my leaks. I have a leak at the hose, where boost is seeping out. I have a leak at both ends of my turbo oil supply line "just need to source a new one to replace it. I have a leak in the dipstick. the RDT seems to work well, save for the fact that there is a puddle on top of my tranny where it dumps out, is the cdr supposed to pass liquid oil??? I thought only vapor. I bough bolts to keep it in place, long, 3" bolts do the trick when it is turned around backwards. I can't see the back of the manifold but I can only assume my plug is doing it's job, It may be me, but I think that there is a boost leak, "BIG TIME" it seems like there is no power. I changed the controller and relay, and tomorrow will pull all of the injectors and clean/re-install them. I have leaky return lines, so I picked up a kit from oreiley that has the necessary o-rings, connectors, hose, clamps, and copper gaskets. I will remove, soak, clean, and re-install all of the injectors, then kick the starter till the air is bled out, right? I'll look up the bleed procedure real quick if I have any questions. I feel much more confident about my truck now. once I do this, it will be much more mechanically sound. lastly I am installing, re-calibrating the tps so my e40d won't die a horrible death. I tried the new glow relay out and all seems well, but that was with the engine warm, so I'll try it first thing tomorrow. anyone know where to get aftermarket suspension for an f-350? like poly bushings all around, or where to find the sizes on bushings so I can order them? I need to change ball joints too "yay" I might as well service the brakes and shocks, and steering stabilizer too. i need a tight ship to run with the big dogs.
I have a vid, but I think I'll make another one once it's all done.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:52 PM
ewalt98
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I used energy suspension for my 88 F350. Used their catalog and calipers to determine sway bar bush sizes. The rest are straight forward. Summit has decent prices for most parts, but I got mine from USAutoParts as they had the best price/shipping.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:57 PM
NintendoKD
Junior User
thanks, that is a big help. I may requisition energy to make a kit for 350's, if they are anything like k&n or ARP if you give them the measurements they will make a kit.
found the tps adjustment procedure here: and here: hope this helps someone
also found useful e40d info here: I have a def. trans issue which will be addressed tomorrow.

Last edited by NintendoKD; 01-15-2013 at 11:35 PM. Reason: additional information.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:51 PM
NintendoKD
Junior User
looks like I'm doing the rotors and bleeding the brakes tomorrow, keep hearing them scrape. tired of the abs light being on. I need to drain some tranny fluid and install the bigger tranny cooler, and some lucas tranny addative. busy day, stabbing the 450 horse v-belt sbc 350 into my other truck. installing the rad, e-fans and fluids, and a break in. busy day. may pick up a packard with a straight 8 runs and drives new upholstery.

Old 01-17-2013, 02:45 AM
NintendoKD
Junior User
still trying to source a good replacement feed hose for the turbo. soaking the injectors in clean diesel till morning. gonna clean out the injector holes and suck out the crap tomorrow. coming right along. new glow plug controller works like a charm. starts up first try now. I just need to figure out that pesky oil leak from the dipstick tube now.

Old 01-28-2013, 01:15 PM
444dieselrod
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Any updates? Did you drive it 2000 miles and have everything hold together?

Diesel Rod