Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Bronco > 1978 - 1996 Big Bronco
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1978 - 1996 Big Bronco SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-31-2012, 10:16 PM
Freshman User

mrduke41 is starting off with a positive reputation.
throttle body injection vs. carburetor?????

Hello all, I am restoring a 78 bronco with a 400 in it. I am going to do a lot of off roading with this beast. it currently has a holly 4 barrel but i'm thinking of getting a throttle body injection system. my holley would give me problems on steep grades at low speeds. i would love everyones opinion on this subject. whats better, carb or throttle body injection? thanks in advance. duke
Old 12-31-2012, 11:54 PM
Elder User

Raleigh1 has a great reputation on FTE.Raleigh1 has a great reputation on FTE.Raleigh1 has a great reputation on FTE.Raleigh1 has a great reputation on FTE.Raleigh1 has a great reputation on FTE.
I have a Holley Pro-jection TBI on my '79, what a huge difference! There is no comparison, response is much better and for off roading it is a must to have fuel injection.

1979 Bronco 400-NP435-Sterling 10.5-Dana 60 New 408 about to go in, it is so close I can taste it!!
Dave
Old 01-01-2013, 01:29 AM
Post Fiend

greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.
There is no comparison between carburation and fuel injection in my humble opinion.

There is no float, no fluid level to be maintained (and by "level" I mean gravitational level) which translates to not having starvation issues on inclines or off-camber situations which will happen with almost any carburetor and more so with the rather ungainly fuel reservoir(s) in the typical Holley unit.

Fuel injection is more precise metering which maintains better MPG overall. It is also very easy to troubleshoot and maintain given that there are no major adjustments to be made nor are there nearly as many seals and gaskets to fail. Fuel pressure needs to be higher but you can lose the leak-prone (fuel and oil) mechanical pump in the side of the block. If the problem is fuel delivery, its either a clogged filter the injector or the pump... end of story, barring any severe damage to the vehicle itself. No float to adjust, no choke to adjust, no idle settings to maintain, and best of all... no metering adjustments (i.e. jets, plungers, metering rods or whatever mechanical idiosyncrasies may be employed by any one of the hundreds of different carburetor makers out there).

I suppose that is my vote. In case it isn't clear, go with the fuel injection.

Big Bronco FAQ's

Old 01-01-2013, 10:17 AM
Freshman User

thanks a lot, looks pretty one sided. now i got to dig deep and make it happen. thnx duke
Old 01-01-2013, 05:43 PM
WAFTE Chapter LDR

GruesomeJeans has a brilliant futureGruesomeJeans has a brilliant futureGruesomeJeans has a brilliant futureGruesomeJeans has a brilliant futureGruesomeJeans has a brilliant futureGruesomeJeans has a brilliant futureGruesomeJeans has a brilliant futureGruesomeJeans has a brilliant futureGruesomeJeans has a brilliant futureGruesomeJeans has a brilliant futureGruesomeJeans has a brilliant future
pages/Bronco-Nation/333812929968547 GruesomeJeans
I do think fuel injection would be better for steep inclines and such, but I prefer carbs myself. Though mine is in terrible shape and doesn't run good, I am slowly learning how to tweak it for the better. I am kind of a novice with carbs, I had a 1 barrel on my 82 mustang and currently have a 4bbl carter AFB on my bronco. I think in terms of nor having to deal with adjustments, FI is the way to go. If you like to tinker with stuff and tweak it to run better, then carbs are the way to go.
Visit Washington Chapter HERE!

Washington Member Map
Old 01-01-2013, 05:49 PM
Freshman User

thankd for the reply, thats a nice looking ride you got there.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:55 PM
WAFTE Chapter LDR

GruesomeJeans has a brilliant futureGruesomeJeans has a brilliant futureGruesomeJeans has a brilliant futureGruesomeJeans has a brilliant futureGruesomeJeans has a brilliant futureGruesomeJeans has a brilliant futureGruesomeJeans has a brilliant futureGruesomeJeans has a brilliant futureGruesomeJeans has a brilliant futureGruesomeJeans has a brilliant futureGruesomeJeans has a brilliant future
pages/Bronco-Nation/333812929968547 GruesomeJeans
Thanks It's my pride and joy. My first V8 vehicle and my first big truck with 4wd. Well somewhat. It's far from beautiful but far from junk
Visit Washington Chapter HERE!

Washington Member Map
Old 01-01-2013, 06:55 PM