Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Box Style Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-31-2012, 05:26 PM
Elder User

F250racer is starting off with a positive reputation.
Easy, High-Amp Alternator Conversion- Pics!

When I first setup my truck I used an alternator from an 80s IDI F250, it worked fine but didn't have a whole lot of power(75a I think) and I was never very happy with the mount I made for it.
So when that one went out I decided to try to do a little better job.

The one I found is a 90-01-4109, that's the Wilson number but also the same one NAPA uses. It will probably cost around $210 for just a regular cash sale(not through an account). It's 160amp, single wire.

Upper mounts bolt almost perfectly to the stock generator mount. I probably could have added some washers between the alt and mounts but decided to just tighten the bolts for now and call it good

Click the image to open in full size.
NOTE: the alternator does not come with a pulley, this is one I had laying around the shop.

The lower mount/tensioner required a little engineering but not bad at all. There was already a hole in my motor mount so I simply used a 7/16th bolt with a 1/2 connector nut as a spacer sleeve(you could use pipe, stack of washers or find an entire different spot to anchor the turn buckle).

NOTE: it might seems tempting to anchor the turn buckle to the frame rail but remember the engine is mounted on rubber bushings and can move independently of the frame, that and the frame flexes so the turn buckle must be mounted to the engine or engine mount.

Then just tighten the turn buckle until the belt is tight, connect the positive wire and you're done, no need for a regulator as this alternator has an internal one.
I ran a peice of welding wire directly to my battery, yes there should be a fuse in there but that can be added at a later date when I got back and clean up all the wiring on the truck.
The smaller red wire is the one that goes to the fuse box of my aftermarket wiring kit.
The thick gray wire that goes to the mount is just a ground cable for my jumper cable connector.

There will be 2 small studs on the back of the alternator, just ignore these(wrap in electric tape to be safe).

The one I used is a 90-01-4109, this is a re-manufactured alternator so you will have to turn in a core, chances are you could probably get away with turning in any alternator as a core, but a simple trip to pull-a-part could probably produce an alternator that looks almost identical(check GM vehicles). If not, the core price is like $35.

90-01-4109N is the part number for the same alternator but brand new, this won't have a core charge and is not re-manufactured. I'm not sure how much these cost or what the availability is.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:10 PM
Postmaster

willowbilly3 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
What kind of alternator is it? Looks good.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:47 PM
Gone But Not Forgotten

ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.
Colin, there is a much easier-on-the-wallet alternative, that uses the (gulp) GM 1-wire alternator, which is very inexpensive, and the stock generator mount with a few additional parts from your local hardware store. I would not want to spend that kind of money on an alternator.

If you do a search in our archives, you can likely find the link to the article that has great photos, it was by someone like "57 ranch wagon", I think. Now that I think about it, the link was from the Y Blocks Forever sight, but it was on the FTE site.

It really pains me to admit that I have anything G.M. on my truck, but there it is.
Anthony...Hey Kevin....Silly Boy...Hey John...Hey Dan... WOW! OYE!...OH
CRAP...just for giggles...GREAT JOB...Nice Work Tard!...takes a "womans
touch"...TeeHee...you jerks."
Old 12-31-2012, 09:28 PM
Posting Guru

hiball3985 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I used the GM 1 wire on my ranchero, but I like your idea of using a turn buckle , I'll have to try that.

1966 F250 390 4 spd

1957 Ranchero 292 3 spd
Old 12-31-2012, 09:54 PM
Postmaster

spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibuzzard View Post
Colin, there is a much easier-on-the-wallet alternative, that uses the (gulp) GM 1-wire alternator, which is very inexpensive, and the stock generator mount with a few additional parts from your local hardware store. I would not want to spend that kind of money on an alternator.

If you do a search in our archives, you can likely find the link to the article that has great photos, it was by someone like "57 ranch wagon", I think. Now that I think about it, the link was from the Y Blocks Forever sight, but it was on the FTE site.

It really pains me to admit that I have anything G.M. on my truck, but there it is.
Now dosen't it just make you feel free to admit that?
Old 12-31-2012, 09:55 PM
Gone But Not Forgotten

ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spurredon View Post
Now dosen't it just make you feel free to admit that?
I feel so dirty......
Anthony...Hey Kevin....Silly Boy...Hey John...Hey Dan... WOW! OYE!...OH
CRAP...just for giggles...GREAT JOB...Nice Work Tard!...takes a "womans
touch"...TeeHee...you jerks."
Old 12-31-2012, 10:04 PM
Elder User

This is a GM 1 wire. It's a Delco 21si. Reason for using this one is I wanted more power since I have a winch and two 4D batteries. This is 160amp and the standard GM 1-wire that most people use are 60-90amp. I paid $130 for the alt since I work at a NAPA store.

I didn't look through the application guide for it but it would normally be used for semis/large equipment.

If you go through the Wilson(NAPA's supplier for HD starters/alternators) alternator book this is the highest output one you can get before you start getting into VERY expensive/specialty stuff.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:10 PM
Posting Guru

When I go on a long trip the GM alternator is the only thing I worry about breaking

1966 F250 390 4 spd

1957 Ranchero 292 3 spd
Old 12-31-2012, 10:10 PM
Postmaster

spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by F250racer View Post
This is a GM 1 wire. It's a Delco 21si. Reason for using this one is I wanted more power since I have a winch and two 4D batteries. This is 160amp and the standard GM 1-wire that most people use are 60-90amp. I paid $130 for the alt since I work at a NAPA store.

I didn't look through the application guide for it but it would normally be used for semis/large equipment.

If you go through the Wilson(NAPA's supplier for HD starters/alternators) alternator book this is the highest output one you can get before you start getting into VERY expensive/specialty stuff.
I was kind of wondering what you needed 160 Amps for. That should do it!
Old 01-01-2013, 12:01 AM
Posting Guru

GB SISSON has a great reputation on FTE.GB SISSON has a great reputation on FTE.GB SISSON has a great reputation on FTE.GB SISSON has a great reputation on FTE.GB SISSON has a great reputation on FTE.
I'm a fan of the gm one wire. Nice job on the install....I put one on my 223 when I was having generator problems, but didn't fess up on the forum because Spurredon and a couple others were advising me to keep it stock. Now that I have a cummins engine and a gm transmission. I don't think it matters any more. I have always liked your truck. That picture from the front is nice. I didn't realize it had such nice paint. I will stop in at NAPA next time we visit my fiance's sister and her family and say hi. Happy New Years to any other geeks sitting at home, looking at the FTE site tonight
'92 F350 4x4 dual wheel service truck. 7.3 with headers and glass packs. 5 sp man tran. 255 85 16 Toyos. 110,000 miles. '59 F350 9' flareside new project, cummins 6at turbo diesel, sm 465 4 spd. 255 85 16s again, 37 ford 1 1/2 ton stake with 53 flathead V8. 65 toyota landcruiser fj 45 longbed pickup. 54 GMC 3/4 ton flatbed w/ cummins 6at, '68 BSA 441 Victor Special, bone stock, Antique tractors and one lung flywheel engines .....
Old 01-01-2013, 08:04 AM
Posting Guru

Walston has a good reputation on FTE.Walston has a good reputation on FTE.Walston has a good reputation on FTE.
Nice looking install. 160 amps is a lot of juice. How does it behave if you are using a lot less? I could use some more power but I was worried about too much power and over charging the battery. Is my concern justified?

http://bigjohnstractor.com/
Old 01-01-2013, 09:34 AM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walston View Post
Nice looking install. 160 amps is a lot of juice. How does it behave if you are using a lot less? I could use some more power but I was worried about too much power and over charging the battery. Is my concern justified?
It shouldn't be a problem, they have a built in regulator, it will only send what is required.

1966 F250 390 4 spd

1957 Ranchero 292 3 spd
Old 01-02-2013, 01:55 AM
Postmaster

I use the 3G Ford alternator on everything I build now. It is superior to a Delco in every way. I get them from mid to late 90s V6 cars. They do require an extra wire with key on power but how hard is that? Advantages are that even the smallest version is 95 amps and it makes most of that at an idle plus the voltage regulator/brush holder is accessible from the rear without splitting the case. I pay $10 for them at the junk yard.
Here's the large frame version I have on my roadster pickup. Sorry the picture is crappy, it's the only one I have showing the alternator.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:28 PM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
I'm a fan of the gm one wire. Nice job on the install....I put one on my 223 when I was having generator problems, but didn't fess up on the forum because Spurredon and a couple others were advising me to keep it stock. Now that I have a cummins engine and a gm transmission. I don't think it matters any more. I have always liked your truck. That picture from the front is nice. I didn't realize it had such nice paint. I will stop in at NAPA next time we visit my fiance's sister and her family and say hi.
Thanks! The whole truck's still a work in progress but it's getting there. The paint looks alot better in the pictures too...

Yea if you're ever on the island I'd deffinetly show you the truck, I actually work at the NAPA in Havre, MT(I goto school there) but am back home here every so often.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:37 PM
Postmaster

Here's the simple wiring for the Ford 3G.

http://www.bcbroncos.com/3ginstall.pdf
Old 01-02-2013, 06:37 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks