West Virginia Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: 5_labsownus

Moving from SE Ga to Wellsburg, WV

Old 12-31-2012, 04:57 AM
siloketh
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moving from SE Ga to Wellsburg, WV

Hey ya'll my name is Daniel but ya can call me Dan if ya want. I live here in the Golden Isles region of Georgia and am moving to the Wellsburg area come March or April. I had a few questions concerning vehicle emissions because why I'm from there is no emissions testing.
My truck is a 1981 F100 Custom 4.9 2wd (seen in the sig), all stock with no mods except the dash pad which I reupholstered with Mossy Oak camo fabric & mechanical temp guage.

Here is my question: due to the trucks age would it be exempt from emissions testing?
What do I need to pass an emissions test at bare minimum?
How strict is the emissions laws there?

Any help or advice you can give me on this matter is greatly appreciated, thank you for your time

Old 01-01-2013, 06:58 AM
5_labsownus
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 1,486 Likes on 1,390 Posts
Welcome Dan and may your move be safe and uneventful.
As for state laws:
You like all states must register your vehicle, have proof of insurance and an annual inspection.
As for emissions we do not test the system here. Pretty much the law says what ever he vehicle was equipped with must be in ace and working.
It depends on the inspection station as to how strict they are. Meaning all of them are to inspect to the letter of the code but some do not.
P.s. they will get cought and there license pulled sooner than later.

Hope that helps

Old 01-01-2013, 08:23 AM
msgtg
Post Fiend
Yeah...what Rod said Dude! Welcome to Wild & Wonderful!

Joe

Old 01-01-2013, 10:45 AM
1975StroppeBaja
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yup, what they said.

One thing I'd like to add is that the only thing even close to an emissions inspection I've ever had is a visual inspection to see if the catalytic converter is still there. Some places will fail you if the cat has been removed. Not even sure if yours would have them though, but my '84 Ranger did.

It had the shells of the cats anyway LOL.

Welcome to WV!

Old 01-01-2013, 07:51 PM
siloketh
Senior User
Thanks for the info ya'll
They dont test down here whatsoever, you can run headers with no cat duals and not think twice, did that with my 90' 5.0 crown vic.

As for all the emissions equipment, it all appears to be there but disconnected/inop, including the pump & charcoal canister.

Since I've never driven in snow, and these 81's feel a touch light in the rear, how well do they handle the snowy/icey road conditions and especially at a regular incline? Do I need to weigh it down some for a little extra traction? Its only a 2wd and never seen snow, only frost on the windshield.

Thanks for all the help and Im looking forward to my big move in a few months!

Old 01-01-2013, 09:19 PM
crazyredneckanyhow
Post Fiend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you goto a shadetree shop in the middle of nowhere they usually just check the lights and make sure theres no holes in the body.

On your way up you might want to stock up on rust free body parts for your truck. You can sell some to offset the cost of the trip and keep some because your truck will rust out in notime.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:14 PM
1975StroppeBaja
Postmaster
Hey Cheeto, how ya been? Your sig might be enough to get Dave S to show up around these parts again lol.

As for the 2wd pickup on snow/ice I'd say you'll definitely run into trouble from time to time. You'll want some weight in the back and you'll want some good snow tires, maybe even studs. Also buy a set of tire chains and keep 'em in the truck in case you get buried up somewhere. If you have a limited slip or locking rear end you'll really have your hands full at times on snow/ice.

It might be a good idea to pick up an old/cheap 4x4 of some sort for winters up here.

It is worth noting that I'm speaking for the winters we have on the eastern side of WV in the mountains. Not sure how bad they get in the upper panhandle.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:25 PM
siloketh
Senior User
My fiance has already secured a place there and says the snow is up pretty good the other day.

The rear is a stock 9" so I dont really know what its packing in terms. I've been looking for a 4door 4x4 dor that reason and also because we have kids, I prefer a diesel 6.9 IDI or early powerstroke. The snow chains and studs is a good idea, where should I go to get me a set?

Old 01-02-2013, 06:49 PM
choptop49ford
More Turbo

No emissions other than cats (if originally equipped) as everyone else said. They will check lights, signals, horn, holes in body, cracks in windshield, tires, ball joints, e-brake, tires can't stick out past fenders, ect. If you run a lift you need a modified sticker. Having said that, if you run classic tags you don't need a sticker at all. My '48 has no seat belts, no turn signals, no back up lights, 1 tail light, and no cats. Never had them new, doesn't need them now. Never mind the electric cut outs behind the headers ( that are always open unless the wife is with me, she doesn't like smelling like race fuel) or the beer keg fuel cell mounted in the bed. Good luck with the move and welcome to the land of the REAL hillbillys!

Old 01-02-2013, 07:38 PM
siloketh
Senior User
E-brake is almost as useful as a nipple on a beer bottle. The floor of the bed has seen better days but its not going anywhere soon, driver cab corner you can see thru it from the inside and some other minor rot on a fender corner but the frame is rust free.

I wont lift this truck, its 2wd and it would be pointless IMO. As for emissions, looks lije the smog pump and all is still there including the charcoal canister, should I be worried that they have me reinstall said parts because none of it was hooked up when I bought the truck one year ago today.

Other than that, everything is there except the dashboard (was recovering it but thats backburner now). I'll apply for classic tags when I get there. And speaking of tags, do I need just a rear tag or do I need a front one also? Be a shame to rid myself of the "Caution Stunt Driver" tag lol.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:17 PM
choptop49ford
More Turbo

Originally Posted by siloketh
E-brake is almost as useful as a nipple on a beer bottle. The floor of the bed has seen better days but its not going anywhere soon, driver cab corner you can see thru it from the inside and some other minor rot on a fender corner but the frame is rust free.

I wont lift this truck, its 2wd and it would be pointless IMO. As for emissions, looks lije the smog pump and all is still there including the charcoal canister, should I be worried that they have me reinstall said parts because none of it was hooked up when I bought the truck one year ago today.

Other than that, everything is there except the dashboard (was recovering it but thats backburner now). I'll apply for classic tags when I get there. And speaking of tags, do I need just a rear tag or do I need a front one also? Be a shame to rid myself of the "Caution Stunt Driver" tag lol.
They won't look under the hood, rear tag only, don't THINK they care about the bed floor but don't quote me on that. No holes in the body (if properly inspected), however if its off the beaten path a station is more likely to overlook things but the state has been shutting down inspectors and handing out fines so they are getting a little more cautious. I have seen guys pop rivet scrap metal and even beer cans over holes, cover holes with duct tape, and even fill full of spray foam, trim, then paint or prime the foam ( or not). Anything to not have an actual hole in the body. They rarely check the e brake but they have checked mine the last couple of times, they even pulled the rear drums to check the shoes, normally they just look at the front pads but as I said, they are getting more strict.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:40 PM
siloketh
Senior User
Entire rear brake system is new, I just dont trust the e-brake is all. The body rust isn't noticeable unless you are really looking for it. I have a youtube video walk around of the truck I did a while back for the Bullnose forums, I'll post it here so you guys can see it yourselves. Sorry ahead of time, I repeat myself alot when speaking haha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlS1...e_gdata_player

Old 01-03-2013, 08:57 PM
choptop49ford
More Turbo

You should be good as long as nothing is to extreme and you don't get someone to picky

Old 01-05-2013, 05:10 PM
1975StroppeBaja
Postmaster
Depending on your tire size, chances are you can pick up a set of chains almost anywhere. I got the ones for my F250 from NAPA.

As for studded tires, you can just hit up any tire shop around here and they can get them for you.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:28 AM
siloketh
Senior User
Thank you everyone for your time and responses, I'm looking forward to my move and maybe I might bump into one of ya'll while I'm there

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Moving from SE Ga to Wellsburg, WV