Sponsored by:

Excursion vs Suburban

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 10:35 PM
ccllud
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excursion vs Suburban

Hey guys im looking at getting either an excursion or suburban in the 2000-2004 range with 160-200k miles. both are about the same price so its a matter of preference. I know yall are biased obviously, but what are some pros and cons of both compared to the other?
I would be getting gas for sure, ideally the V10 if i got an ex.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:44 PM
jayjjcc
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Biggest Suburban con is that it's a GM product.

The following 2 users liked this post by jayjjcc:
Old 12-30-2012, 10:48 PM
$$$=SPEED
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i looked at both a few months back. the biggest thing i can tell you is a suburban is a car and the excurion is a truck. alot more room in the Ex, tow power and manliness. Also the Excusions seem to be made better.

The following users liked this post:
Old 12-30-2012, 10:56 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
two totally different trucks..for different applications.

excursion has more room, better laid out interior IMO, more HD parts such as a solid front axle and diesel as options.

suburban much more car like, less space, IFS, drives like a lay-z-boy..everything is mushy!

the suburban is much like any chevy truck...very car like.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:59 PM
$$$=SPEED
Senior User
agree

Originally Posted by AlaskanEx
two totally different trucks..for different applications.

excursion has more room, better laid out interior IMO, more HD parts such as a solid front axle and diesel as options.

suburban much more car like, less space, IFS, drives like a lay-z-boy..everything is mushy!

the suburban is much like any chevy truck...very car like.
+1 agree 100%

Old 12-30-2012, 11:02 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
the thing that gets me is they are like driving a couch. the steering is vauge and overly easy to turn. ride and brake pedal are as mushy as jello out in the sun all day. i dont get how people like that. other then soccer moms.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:08 PM
garryk6
Laughing Gas
I have owned a 1994 454 2500 burb, and my brother owns a 2001 8.1 2500 burb. I own 2 2000 V10 excursions and a 2005 PSD Excursion.
The weakness of the Burb is also why many like the Burb better. Stock Burbs ride much smoother than Stock Excursions. But the independent suspension is a weak point. The 2000 and up burbs also suffer from fuel pump failures at this age. the 8.1 suffers from oil consumption, and can have longevity issues.
The Excursions suffer from weak springs and require a spring swap to correct. The 6.8 V 10 is strong and long lived, but does occasionally suffer from the spark plug issue. As well as cracked exhaust manifolds, and or broken exhaust studs. But the 6.8 has been known to go 200,000 miles and then some with normal maintenance. The Ex wil definitely "feel"bigger, and drive Bigger. But that is why many of us prefer the Ex over burbs.

Hope that this helps you make a decision.

Garry

Old 12-30-2012, 11:52 PM
ROBBINthaHOOD
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a 97 burb 1500 2wd with the 5.7 in it. Like everyone said it rides like a car, very soft and plush for an SUV. It was my wife's daily driver til she got excursion fever. And we just thought the burb had room. All the seating feels cramped now, even the drivers seat. The storage in the back is just a tad smaller but if you lay down the 3rd row seat there's is no comparison. I ask my wife if she misses driving it and I get a firm no. We all feel safer in the ex.

Old 12-31-2012, 06:39 AM
ufvj217
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm with the others. Deff get an excursion.

Ive never owned or really driven a burb, but ive been in friends. The only thing I do like about the older ones is for some reason the seats do look comfy to relax in lol. It does look like more of a lazyboy type of interior.

Old 12-31-2012, 06:41 AM
tadhg
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For me it was no coin toss. I've had all the major brand of vehicles. GM vehicles have let me down, and they just aren't as reliable as I have had the good luck with Fords, going back to a 61 Econoline with a 144 six and 3 on the tree. They seem to run for ever.

It's the room on the Excursion that sold me. Did I need it? NO, I have a Jeep Commander, which my wife drives, room for 7, if they are svelt and short of stature for the back seat, right now the two grand daughters fit there well. The Excursion will fit 8 adults... But I did need something to drive in the rain, because I was getting tired of getting soaked on my Harley.

Towing capacity, the Excursion is built on a heavy duty chassis, the 'burb may have a frame, but it's like a current half ton. Even the ones listed as a 3/4 ton aren't as strongly built as the Ford! GM did offer a 502 back then on the 3/4 ton, but it didn't have the horses or torque of the V10, nor was it as smooth an engine. PLUS, that engine weighs 150 to 200 lbs more than the V10.

I may be biased, but my nearly 50 years behind the wheel have left me with some very vivid memories of what has worked for me and what has not. It's your call! Don't say we didn't warn you!

Last edited by tadhg; 12-31-2012 at 06:44 AM. Reason: To add last phrase
Old 12-31-2012, 07:56 AM
sammie0126
Postmaster
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Own a 2000 Ex V10 and drove a 2010 Burb to Canada with my brother two months ago, yes it drives smoother than mine, but IMO very uncomfortable, lacking power and generally cheap feeling interior. Biggest issue with the Burb was power, it couldn't get out of it's own way and could almost hear it screaming for mercy trying to get our boats up a fairly steep ramp.

If you want a car and the space of maybe a "big car" and don't care about power and towing get a burb.

If you want a truck and space that can not be beat and the ability to get out of your own way and well anyone else's, then get an Ex.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:39 AM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Think back to the old station wagon days.
Suburban is a bigger station wagon, still a car.
Excursion is a truck with enclosed rear bed.
I drove a tahoe for 14 years, the ex is my first truck.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:04 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by AlaskanEx
the thing that gets me is they are like driving a couch. the steering is vauge and overly easy to turn. ride and brake pedal are as mushy as jello out in the sun all day. i dont get how people like that. other then soccer moms.

I agree, even their trucks are the same, slushy slop boxes floating down the road.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:10 AM
az_r2d1
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't go government motors.
There is a reason why GM needed BIG handouts and Ford did not.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:37 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by az_r2d1
There is a reason why GM needed BIG handouts and Ford did not.
Likewise there is a reason why the Suburban is still being made to this day and the Excursion is not. Might have something to do with the fact that they only sold something like 16,000 Excursions in the last model year.

The Excursion is much more of a niche vehicle that is only the best choice for people who want an 8-passenger vehicle with the capabilities of an HD truck. There's nothing else like it on the road, and that's because most people who want an 8-passenger SUV don't want to make the fuel economy or ride and handling sacrifices to own one this capable.

I don't own any of my vehicles to impress anyone else, and if I needed the interior space and the towing capability of a half ton truck I would likely own a Suburban. My Excursion rides as bad as my last F350 and doesn't handle any better, and I've never seen over 14 MPGs on the highway. No regrets whatsoever, it's the correct tool for my situation. But I sacrifice much for the capability.

Quick Reply: Excursion vs Suburban