Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Battery Lug Upgrade...opinions??

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 10:14 PM
dpslusser
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Battery Lug Upgrade...opinions??

Hey guys, I int he process of ordering some parts for replacing my battery lugs. The previous owner either killed his batteries alot, jumped alot of friends, or poured salt water on his battery lugs once a week. Seriously though, the lugs are all pitted and cracked. I'll have to post pictures. You can't even tighten them down really good.

So, I wanted to post what I was going and the products I was going to use.

Here are the lugs I was going to change to.
EPOXE COATED WING NUT MARINE TERMINALS : Amazon.com : Automotive EPOXE COATED WING NUT MARINE TERMINALS : Amazon.com : Automotive

I decided to change to a post design for a few reasons:

1. Ease of adding items (Stereo, battery minder, inverter, etc)
2. Easier to take battery out

I would then cut the old clamp style connectors off the current cables and inspect the cables. Looking for corrosion, breaks, etc. I would also check the ground points also.

I will only use solder on style lugs, its so simple to do, looks better, lasts longer and works better.

If the cables look bad, I will probably do an upgrade to a 2/0-3/0 combination.

(Sizes of the lugs are depending if I replace the cables)

Here are the lugs im going to use.
Fusion Solder Connector

This one for the starter cable. The passenger side battery that has two wires coming off of it.
MagnaLug Fusion Solder

So let me know what you guys think.

I found this on custombatterycables.com

"Stock negative cables are 1/0 with #10 gauge chassis grounds. The stock positive cable uses 1/0 for the crossover, 2/0 for the starter and #6 for the fuse block."

Old 12-30-2012, 10:50 PM
Fat Diesel
Logistics Pro

Received 98 Likes on 54 Posts
I'm not a huge fan of those clamps. At the very least strip the paint off the contact areas.

If mine were really bad I'd just throw a new cable set on there.

New Positive Battery Cable 99 01 Ford F250 F350 F450 F550 Excursion 7 3L V8 | eBay

Old 12-30-2012, 11:09 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Another option is, instead of using the Marine style clamp (there are heavier duty ones out there than what you linked), you can get the old fashioned replacement battery terminals in a heavy duty option, but instead of using the compression fitting to hold you cable in place, install the lugs like you're talking about and use the 2 bolts to clamp the lugs to the terminal (and any additional accessories). I've found that adding those star washers helps keep the bolts tight.

You can see what I'm talking about here.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:13 PM
bakerbuilttracks
Elder User
Originally Posted by dpslusser
Hey guys, I int he process of ordering some parts for replacing my battery lugs. The previous owner either killed his batteries alot, jumped alot of friends, or poured salt water on his battery lugs once a week. Seriously though, the lugs are all pitted and cracked. I'll have to post pictures. You can't even tighten them down really good.

So, I wanted to post what I was going and the products I was going to use.

Here are the lugs I was going to change to.
EPOXE COATED WING NUT MARINE TERMINALS : Amazon.com : Automotive

I decided to change to a post design for a few reasons:

1. Ease of adding items (Stereo, battery minder, inverter, etc)
2. Easier to take battery out

I would then cut the old clamp style connectors off the current cables and inspect the cables. Looking for corrosion, breaks, etc. I would also check the ground points also.

I will only use solder on style lugs, its so simple to do, looks better, lasts longer and works better.

If the cables look bad, I will probably do an upgrade to a 2/0-3/0 combination.

(Sizes of the lugs are depending if I replace the cables)

Here are the lugs im going to use.
Fusion Solder Connector

This one for the starter cable. The passenger side battery that has two wires coming off of it.
MagnaLug Fusion Solder

So let me know what you guys think.
Im in the same boat...... all the connectors on mine are maxed out. Ive cut about 3/16 out of the gap to get them to tighten "tighter". My negative cables are bad too.

I like the idea of making your own ...... wayyyy cheaper but contact on batteries in these truck is so critical i don't know if id risk it.

Originally Posted by Fat Diesel
I'm not a huge fan of those clamps. At the very least strip the paint off the contact areas.

New Positive Battery Cable 99 01 Ford F250 F350 F450 F550 Excursion 7 3L V8 | eBay
I probably end up going with new ford oem cables like Fat mentioned.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:21 PM
bakerbuilttracks
Elder User
Originally Posted by F350-6
Another option is, instead of using the Marine style clamp (there are heavier duty ones out there than what you linked), you can get the old fashioned replacement battery terminals in a heavy duty option, but instead of using the compression fitting to hold you cable in place, install the lugs like you're talking about and use the 2 bolts to clamp the lugs to the terminal (and any additional accessories). I've found that adding those star washers helps keep the bolts tight.

You can see what I'm talking about here.
Thats a good solution Chris now that you mention it. Where would one find the HD clamps? Also on the Passenger side batt do they make a clamp with a dual connector to inline the cable from the driver side to the passenger to the starter ?

I just don't care for too many connections that can come loose. I kinda perfer the factory oem stuff but i don't like the cost

Old 12-30-2012, 11:26 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by bakerbuilttracks
Thats a good solution Chris now that you mention it. Where would one find the HD clamps? Also on the Passenger side batt do they make a clamp with a dual connector to inline the cable from the driver side to the passenger to the starter ?

I just don't care for too many connections that can come loose. I kinda perfer the factory oem stuff but i don't like the cost
You can find the HD terminals at your local hardware store, or local farm supply or tractor store. The marine style terminal would do the same thing, but as I mentioned, they make heavy duty and light duty ones.

For the passenger side, you just do the same thing. Put a lug on each cable (crossover and to starter) and clamp one on each post, or clamp them together on the marine style terminal. Quite a bit cheaper than replacing all the wiring. Grounds can be done the same way, but it seems to be easier to just use a marine style terminal for the grounds.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:47 PM
bakerbuilttracks
Elder User
Haven't looked into it much. I will be doing some browsing and see what i can get. I do agree a lot cheaper than oem.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:20 AM
microdevil45
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have never had any good luck with the HD ones from my local hardware store or tractor supply. After a while they tend to corrode and bend when tightened. So I used the following for mine.

Wingnut - Brass Battery Terminals

Then used some brass lugs and some soldier slugs when I did the install. I haven't had a problem yet and they have been in for over a year.

Also just a side note as a test I put Noalox between the terminals and the lugs. So far so good.

Old 12-31-2012, 10:56 AM
caverjoe
Posting Guru
I know at one time I saw a thread that had a link to a place that sold better battery cables than oem but I can not find it. Does anyone know what I am talking about?

Nevermind I found it http://www.custombatterycables.com/index.htm

Old 12-31-2012, 11:37 AM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Fat Diesel

Nice link!

Here is the link for the '02-'03 cables. Looks like they are about $25 cheaper....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-BATT...item53f28e836a
The later style will work on the '99-'01 models but you'll have to salvage the fender solenoid cable. It's not really that hard to do. I posted a thread a while back when I did this to my F-450 truck..

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-01-truck.html

Old 12-31-2012, 02:39 PM
rustydailey
Senior User
I did the same thing with mine. I just cut the ends off the stock cables and replaced them then used the same type of terminals. Works like a champ.

Old 12-31-2012, 06:55 PM
caverjoe
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Shake-N-Bake
Nice link!

Here is the link for the '02-'03 cables. Looks like they are about $25 cheaper....
New Battery Positive Cable 2002 2003 Ford F Series Excursion 2C3Z 14300 CA | eBay
The later style will work on the '99-'01 models but you'll have to salvage the fender solenoid cable. It's not really that hard to do. I posted a thread a while back when I did this to my F-450 truck..

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-01-truck.html

That dont look bad at all. Does anyone know what the diffrence in the cables would be between the 02 and E99.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:05 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by caverjoe
That dont look bad at all. Does anyone know what the diffrence in the cables would be between the 02 and E99.
Did you check out the thread that I posted the link for earlier? It explains the differences and what you have to do to make it work.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:09 PM
caverjoe
Posting Guru
Damn my bad, I clicked on the link before I read the whole thing.
thanks man.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:21 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by caverjoe
Damn my bad, I clicked on the link before I read the whole thing.
thanks man.
No biggie, I found the cable lug at Home Depot in their electrical section. I used some Loctite on the set screw to help keep it from coming loose.

Quick Reply: Battery Lug Upgrade...opinions??