6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

Thinking I Want a 6.2

Old 12-30-2012, 08:59 PM
judithgap
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking I Want a 6.2

I currently have a 2008 6.4 KR F250 4x4 and really struggling with trading for a new 2013 6.2 KR F350 4x4. I have been following your guys thread for sometime now and you guys have got me thinking hard on the trade. I do like my current truck and it has only 46,000 miles along with two years left on an extended warranty. Fortunately I have not had any major trouble out of pocket expenses on the truck as yet. I am like many who have already gone back to the gas engine tired of the fuel costs, REGEN!!! and high maintenance costs. If I do trade I plan to include the camper package with the 4.30 gears because I plan to puchase a new popup truck camper. I believe the 6.2 will be more than enough to handle the camper as my buddy has a 2011 with the same engine and pulls a large 5th wheel with no problems.
I also am considering waiting until the 2014's come out as I have heard rumors of a major change to the body but again just rumors. I believe I could get a good tade in value on the truck because of the low milage and it still looks brand new.
I do have one question though. Other than the suspension, is there any difference in the 350 from the 250?
Really enjoy your thread and the fact that all of you seem to really like your truck.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:50 PM
dezertfreak
New User
I have had my 2012 F250 6.2l 3.73 4x4 Lariat CC for about 2 mo now. I havent towed with it yet but love it. The engine screams and the tranny is a flawless match. I had been kickin around the diesel, but i asked myself:

1. Do I need a diesel bad enough to pay the extra fuel costs on a weekly basis.
NO

2. Do I need a diesel bad enough to pay the extra cost of the engine itself?
NO

3. Do I need a diesel bad enough to warrant the extra cost of owning a diesel when it comes to maint and repair? Warranties dont last forever.
NO

4. If I had a diesel how many days in one year would I actually benefit from a diesel?
About 4 to 5.

The trailer I have now is about 6K loaded that i pulled with my 150 that was traded in for the 250. I plan on going up to a trailer that is about 10-11k loaded and see no problems with this truck and its capability.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:01 AM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by judithgap
I do have one question though. Other than the suspension, is there any difference in the 350 from the 250?

Nope...rear suspension and higher GVWR with the F350. That's about it.

I've enjoyed my '12 SD! Good luck either way...

biz

Old 12-31-2012, 08:48 AM
Amelio
Senior User
I did the same thing Dezertfreak did with the list of things that would warrant a diesel. I really like the diesels but just do not need one in any shape or form plus the 6.2 is very capable. I also wanted to get something that later down the road when its out of warranty I could work on. IMO the 6.7 or any diesel from the big 3 are 10 pounds of sh8t in a 5 pound bag.

If I was towing real heavy (10k plus) everyday then I would say yes to a diesel all day long. I to plan on stepping up to a 28' enclosed trailer for my cars but even loaded that should still be at or under 10k and it will not be towing it everyday or even every month. The gas engine just made more sense for me. I struggled with it for years gas, diesel,gas ,diesel....but when it came time to buy one I decided on the 6.2 and I am extremely happy with my decision.

I know there are lots of guys out there that have diesels and use them but there is a ton of people that own them just to have one. I read the posts on the maintenance and the issues and from real world people I know and it just turns me away especially since the 6.2 will do what I need.

Keep reading on this board and really ask yourself how heavy do you tow and not only the weight but how often and that will help your decision.

Best of luck to you

oh by the way I have been a die hard chevy\GMC guy my whole life.....this is my first Ford truck and I love this thing

Old 12-31-2012, 08:01 PM
Longliner
Freshman User
Love mine

I just came out of a 2012 F-350 diesel and into a 2012 F-250 6.2L. I am not beating up on the diesel but I did have major issues with limiting speed and even to complete idle only mode. I think its because I just didn't work it hard enough. Also, the shifting was for sh!!.

I reached my limit and was also scared of future costs so I test drove a 6.2L and never looked back.

The difference is indescribable. The shifting is smooth and the engine hums.

It cost me to do this but I have to say I am OK with it because now I have a truck that my 8 year old will drive to high school one day.

I recommend to any and all drivers who either want an HD because they love them or someone who isn't trying to haul more than 15K on a daily basis. The diesel delivers better gas mileage under large loads...without a doubt.

Old 01-13-2013, 05:23 PM
ironhorse446
New User
Hey Amelio I just read your post and was curious what made you switch from GM trucks to a Ford? I am in the same boat as I currently have a 2004 GMC and am contemplating going to a Ford with either the 6.2 or a V10.

Old 03-17-2013, 12:00 PM
Roberge
New User
Just ordered 2013 ford f 350 6.2 L lariat!

Just ordered 2013 ford f 350 6.2 L lariat! Just wondering if someone can tell me the kind of mileage I will be getting. Not gonna do much towing, general contracting work and snow plowing in the winter?

Old 03-17-2013, 12:36 PM
Longliner
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Roberge
Just ordered 2013 ford f 350 6.2 L lariat! Just wondering if someone can tell me the kind of mileage I will be getting. Not gonna do much towing, general contracting work and snow plowing in the winter?
I have about 2100 miles and Am looking at about 13 mpg combined driving. I have not towed yet. The mpg increased for me as it broke in. I expect to see a little better as I get to 5000.

Your question sets off a firestorm of answers that differ across the board by 3-4 mpgs per post. I think the long and short is that the gas won't get the mileage combined like the diesel. Probably a 2 mpg difference. I think that's just the nature of the beast. I have had a 6.7 350 and went to 6.2 250 (see post above) and that's what I see so far.

Each truck has its pros and cons but each is a good product when the truck meets the application. Neither truck is gonna win mpg awards...but we know this.

Thanks.

Old 03-17-2013, 05:29 PM
Roberge
New User
Thank you soo much for the input! Bottom line is no truck if fuel efficient and most of us use it to make money. If your looking for efficiency by an accord or Toyota corolla!

Old 03-17-2013, 08:25 PM
Snowman 8
Elder User
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Roberge
I have 45000 miles on my 12 F350 srw and 10.3 mpg over the life of the truck. 6-8 towing and 12-13 empty. Less than my old 6.0 but so far it hasn't been in the shop for anything other than a brake controller issue. I can buy a lot of gas for the THOUSANDS that I spent on repairs on the 6.0!!!!

Old 03-17-2013, 09:01 PM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry

I never was a diesel guy & I stayed with gas rigs. Now more & more guys are turning more to the thinking I have had for years. High maintenance costs + extra cost of the engine & as an old mechanic the saying use to go if your not putting at least 100,000/yr on a diesel it is hard to pencil out a big savings. Now higher fuel costs is even making it harder to pencil out.
If you guys keep thinking of going back to gas your going to screw up my chances of buying cheap big blocks.
Two years ago I bought (as my HD Truck for towing) 1999 Dodge SLT, Larimine 2500, QC, 4x4, V10, 5sp, with the 1 ton suspension options, Gemtop camper shell, with carpet kit, & 72,000 miles, from original owner for $5500. He couldn't get rid of it & gas prices were high & he wanted it gone.
Well if the trend continues to turn towards gas you guy are going to drive the retail of my V10 up & kill the chance to buy them cheap.
Craig

Old 03-17-2013, 10:40 PM
8iron
Senior User
Sooo what are the actual mpg increases Ford is claiming from the revamped (2013) 6.2?

Old 03-18-2013, 07:36 AM
JohnnyThunder
Senior User
Originally Posted by 8iron
Sooo what are the actual mpg increases Ford is claiming from the revamped (2013) 6.2?

The 6.2 was revamped?

Old 03-18-2013, 03:58 PM
Amelio
Senior User
Originally Posted by ironhorse446
Hey Amelio I just read your post and was curious what made you switch from GM trucks to a Ford? I am in the same boat as I currently have a 2004 GMC and am contemplating going to a Ford with either the 6.2 or a V10.
Sorry for seeing this so late I was out of town all last week for training.....

I have always owned GM trucks, 3 gassers and 1 D-max I loved them all great trucks no complaints. I have always liked the Super Duty and tried to buy one 6 years ago (6.0) but could not swing the payment and I ended up with my Denali.

When the '08 Super Duty came out I wanted it bad but again just to damn much money.....I really liked my Denali but it had 120k on it which was nothing but I still owed 2 years on it.......I was looking at new trucks and I like the new GMC but the interior just does nothing for me....still liking the Super Duty I researched the diesel for 2 years and came up to the conclusion that I just dont tow anything over 10k and only rally tow my cars to the race track a dozen times a year or my bike which none of them exceed 6k with the trailer.

I heard about the new 6.2 researched it and went to the dealer this past December to test drive one and ended up driving it home

Its a bigger payment but I got what I want and I love this truck....plus I dont drive it during the week because I have a company vehicle so the mpg's did not scare me.

I still love diesels and if I had really deep pockets I would probably have one only because if I had really deep pockets I could afford to buy a '50 enclosed trailer to haul both my cars and I would need a diesel for that

Old 03-18-2013, 04:24 PM
kerm7807
Freshman User
I also switched from GM's to a 2012 F350 crew cab lariat with the 6.2L and 3.73 last year. I'll never look back. I tow a 36' travel trailer with 3 huge slides. It weighs about 9000# and then there's all the other crap we load in. This truck is awesome.
The gas mileage is all over the board with what people are reporting. If you keep it under 60 on state roads I actually get around 16- 17 with it. Wind seems to have a lot to do with it. When I hit the interstate and hold 70 with it I drop down to 14-15mpgs. It isn't exactly aerodynamic, it's a massive truck. Towing my big trailer, I average 8-9 depending on conditions. I lock out 6th gear because the truck can't hold speed with that load. It tows great in 5th and sits at about 2100 rpms at 70. I go on big trips and it does great, but if I did have a bigger trailer I would go to the 4.30 and I hear you lose about 1mpg. Not bad. This truck feels solid though and I was having a lot of overheating issues as well as rearend and transmission problems with GM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thinking I Want a 6.2