Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

my 1977 F150 4x4 build... how we do it down under

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 04:54 PM
Aussie_F_trucker
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just ordered my what should be the last parts I'll be needing for a while, at this point in the build anyway.

From Broncograveyard.com I ordered;
Warn premium lockouts
4340 Cro-mo axle set
Heavy duty headlight harness
Flex-a-lite fan

Believe it or not, its worked out about 50% cheaper for me getting all these parts from the USA, even after you factor in freight costs than it is buying from retailers here in Australia. Go figure that one out!

Until all these new goodies arrive I'll be preparing my new cab for my cab swap which will be happening in the next six months also.

Old 02-28-2013, 05:57 PM
73 ford guy
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
for shackle flip i take off the front mounted hanger and relocate to the rear while replacing front with a late 70's or early 80's rear hanger.

I have some pics in my build thread on pirate here.. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/ford/...ld-thread.html

Old 02-28-2013, 07:13 PM
77460ford
Posting Guru
So how long do you normally wait for an overseas delivery? I can't help but let the parent out in me in that I hope you're using savings and not racking up debt. Not my business I know, just hate to see someone's passion dulled by a ridiculous intrest rate. I'll shut-up now.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:05 PM
Aussie_F_trucker
Elder User
Originally Posted by 77460ford
So how long do you normally wait for an overseas delivery? I can't help but let the parent out in me in that I hope you're using savings and not racking up debt. Not my business I know, just hate to see someone's passion dulled by a ridiculous intrest rate. I'll shut-up now.
Haha that's cool, I only ever use my own money for this, especially considering its just a hobby at the end of the day. I just plain don't believe I'm credit cards and spending money that isn't my own. The beauty of that is, its my own hard earned coin going into the truck so I guess I'll appreciate it a lot more

Old 02-28-2013, 09:08 PM
Aussie_F_trucker
Elder User
Oh, and I normally only wait 10-14 days between ordering the parts and receiving the parts. USPS and Broncograveyard.com provide awesome service IMO.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:18 PM
77460ford
Posting Guru
Thanks! Damn that's fast. I also appreciate you not taking it the wrong way. Love seeing where your truck is heading!

Old 03-01-2013, 06:19 AM
robertbruce
Senior User
Nice build AFT, good to see...
and that is a quick delivery time, i've waited 5+ weeks for stuff to bris, but wasnt stuff from bronco's...

Old 03-01-2013, 07:48 AM
Aussie_F_trucker
Elder User
Originally Posted by 73 ford guy
for shackle flip i take off the front mounted hanger and relocate to the rear while replacing front with a late 70's or early 80's rear hanger.

I have some pics in my build thread on pirate here.. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/ford/...ld-thread.html

Wow, your truck is a beast! Looks great!

Old 03-01-2013, 07:50 AM
Aussie_F_trucker
Elder User
Out of curiousity, I ran the tape measure over my tires, they're down to a 38.5-39" from a 42" due to age. I'm not fussed as I got them dirt cheap, and and smaller diameter gives less stress to my driveline components.

Old 03-03-2013, 06:53 AM
Aussie_F_trucker
Elder User
Got a few little things done on the old girl this weekend while I wait for my new parts to show up. Got the steering drag link cleaned up and painted. Surprisingly, the ball joints either end are moving pretty well, so i hit it with a couple of coats of RustGuard hammered finish grey. I've found that the RustGuard gives an awesome looking finish to any crappy old piece of truck undercarriage with not much more than some degreaser and some wire brushing.

Got the front brake lines installed and made up a new bracket for it that hangs off what is now the diff breather spigot. Again, hammer finish grey is your friend

While i had nothing to, I made a new battery hold down out of diamond plate aluminium (I literally have s**t tons of it) in two layers that i riveted together to give it some rigidity... the old plastic one broke when I trod on it the other week :/

Before anyone says anything, I KNOW the wiring looks like an abomination, but its still better than when I first bought the truck. I have been working on it slowly, and will fully see to it once and for all when i do the cab swap in the near future. My best friend is an electrician and had a good look at it all, and while its sure as hell not pretty, it is pretty safe.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:17 AM
73 ford guy
Postmaster
I was so fed up of dealing with junk factory and aftermarket parts store battery holders I made my own as well. I hated the plastic tops and little rods that broke so I made 2 of these if you Havnt seen..

I gotta be carefully to not over torque!!

Old 03-03-2013, 02:06 PM
NW 150
Fleet Mechanic
Truck's looking good! I can't believe how high it sits with just a 6" lift!

Old 03-03-2013, 07:51 PM
Aussie_F_trucker
Elder User
73, looks good. Needs more diamond plate though lol. As my fabricating skills improve I'll likely be making similar stuff.

NW 150, thanks! I'm pretty sure its a 6" but I bought it 2nd hand so you never know. I did do some measuring before I installed it all and the new components were all 6" greater in length. Having said that, the 42"s have shrunken 3" and the fender chop has opened the arches up a lot... and its worth pointing out that in the pic on the first page, I'm not a tall guy lol.

Old 03-03-2013, 07:57 PM
73 ford guy
Postmaster
You said your ordering chromoly axles?
Man I just got back from wheeling all day and I shattered a d60 front axle joint(basically new spicer) and a long side inner shaft.
I was hammering down hard on a gnarly rock face with air locker on and 44's smoking. Even d60 stuff breaks.
I'm upgrading inner axles to chromoly as well with better ujoints either Yukon super joints or ctm's

Old 03-03-2013, 08:46 PM
robertbruce
Senior User
i was going to go for CM's too...

but i liked the idea the axle would snap before anything else went...

Quick Reply: my 1977 F150 4x4 build... how we do it down under