1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Expedition Engine Tick

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 07:14 PM
homoldak
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Expedition Engine Tick

I have a 1997 Expedition, that started ticking today. It ticks on the passenger side, top end of the motor. The tick gets worse as the motor revs up. Any Ideas would be appreciated. I do have a spark plug that tends to work itself loose that I haven't checked yet. I didn't know if the common theme of the timing belt would be playing here to. The tick goes away when the motor gets warm. PLEASE HELP

Old 12-29-2012, 10:05 AM
Troy97Expedition
New User
Hello have u have it looked or fixed yet if so plz post im having the same issue

Old 12-29-2012, 12:06 PM
homoldak
New User
It'snot the spark plug. From what I can hear it almost sounds like a knocking valve or something, but that wouldn't go away when it was hot so I'm not sure.

Old 12-29-2012, 03:00 PM
r2millers
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With hydraulic lifters, they will start to chatter if the oil level is low or a heavy wt oil is used in really cold temps.
Is the engine missing too? If you have a bad coil boot, you may have a spark grounding out and making a clicking noise.
If it now doesn't stop, possible bad lifter.
Won't be tied to timing belt/chain.

Old 12-29-2012, 05:18 PM
homoldak
New User
Click

It's a constant click. (click click click click)in time with the RPM's. As the rpm's increase the speed of the clicking increases. I don't think its the spark plug because the engine doesn't sputter

Old 12-29-2012, 10:36 PM
97ExpGuy
Senior User
From what you described, it's the cold weather. My engine ticks until it's warmed up. No worries. As long as you torqued the plugs to the right spec, it's just mechanical clatter.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:37 PM
r2millers
Postmaster

Originally Posted by 97ExpGuy
From what you described, it's the cold weather. My engine ticks until it's warmed up. No worries. As long as you torqued the plugs to the right spec, it's just mechanical clatter.
Now that's a new term. I can see your mechanic diagnosing this as "mechanical clatter"

Old 12-31-2012, 09:59 PM
thecardoc
Senior User
Well I am going to suggest a different route here . Try looking at the exhaust manifold where it bolts to the head. Maybe broken studs or warped exhaust manifold. Both are very common . When it heats up the manifold expands to seal up the leak and it quiets down.

Old 01-01-2013, 07:38 PM
tykateexcursion
Senior User
living in WI when it cold outside my Excursion had the same problem until it warmed up. when i investigated it i found 3 bolts missing on the manifold when the truck heaed upit went away! socheck your manifold for missingbolts or a carbon black area around the manifold.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:36 PM
97ExpGuy
Senior User
Originally Posted by r2millers
Now that's a new term. I can see your mechanic diagnosing this as "mechanical clatter"
And what am I to take away from your response?

Old 01-02-2013, 11:24 AM
r2millers
Postmaster

And what am I to take away from your response?
That if you are adding value, be specific and use something more than "clatter" as a remedy or recommendation. I don't think that's the right thing to do, trying to create confidence to ignore the noise.
I can see this guy broke down on the side of the road and his comment to the tow truck drive is "but they told me not to worry about the noise... it was just mechanical clatter."

I don't think being ambiguous is what any of us out here, are looking for.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:11 AM
expyenthusiast
New User
well guys i hate to make this as a recommendation so i won't. but i will tell u how i got rid of my tick. had the same symptoms under the same conditions. 3 different people including 2 long time mechanics recommended to me to substitute a quart of oil for marvel mystery oil and run it out for a couple thousand miles. I didn't have the guts to run it that long but i did it for 500mi and did another oil change. but that was plenty as the tick was gone at about the 200mi point. my guess is that the lifter hydraulic adjuster was a little gummed up and therefore couldn't pump up. do this with caution and of course at your own risk. just wanted to put in my 2 cents. good luck on your project !!

Old 01-03-2013, 08:15 PM
97ExpGuy
Senior User
Originally Posted by expyenthusiast
well guys i hate to make this as a recommendation so i won't. but i will tell u how i got rid of my tick. had the same symptoms under the same conditions. 3 different people including 2 long time mechanics recommended to me to substitute a quart of oil for marvel mystery oil and run it out for a couple thousand miles. I didn't have the guts to run it that long but i did it for 500mi and did another oil change. but that was plenty as the tick was gone at about the 200mi point. my guess is that the lifter hydraulic adjuster was a little gummed up and therefore couldn't pump up. do this with caution and of course at your own risk. just wanted to put in my 2 cents. good luck on your project !!
Good to know that you found a remedy. As I mentioned in my previous post, I always hear a ticking noise when my engine starts in cold weather. Cold being below 40 degrees. If, for example, I start my engine and immediately start to drive down the road, the ticking will increase as you mentioned - until the engine is warm. My gut feeling was that nothing was too serious when you mentioned that it goes away when at operating temperature.

While I don't always reply in great detail, I believe we always tend to fear the worse for our vehicles when we get on a forum and start reading posts on topics sounding close similar to problems experienced with our own vehicles. A prime example is ejecting spark plugs. It doesn't take much to find a thread asking if one's plugs are going to shoot out of the head (figuratively speaking). Now, had you mentioned that the ticking never went away, I would be a lot more concerned.

In summary, good for you on this issue. Glad it's resolved. Question: is your geographic location a place that experiences cold weather?

Originally Posted by r2millers
That if you are adding value, be specific and use something more than "clatter" as a remedy or recommendation. I don't think that's the right thing to do, trying to create confidence to ignore the noise.
I can see this guy broke down on the side of the road and his comment to the tow truck drive is "but they told me not to worry about the noise... it was just mechanical clatter."

I don't think being ambiguous is what any of us out here, are looking for.
Granted, you make a valid point - and your original response to the OP's question was informative. I'll give you that. However, I resent your first response to me. I took it as an insulting remark when I, like you, was offering an opinion on a question. After all, most solutions to automotive problems start as opinions. "I think...x, y, z, etc. is it" or "I experienced ______ similar to you, so try _______." A forum, such as this one, is automotive diagnostics sight unseen. We, as members of this free forum (unless a paid subscriber), are offering advice to help one another help in a friendly and informative manner. I might have come up seemingly short on the informative part, but, nonetheless, I offered my opinion in attempt to help. As anything one reads on the internet, the result is the same: take it or leave it.

In conclusion, constructive criticism is a highly effective method and positive way of communicating alternative viewpoints than your own. Until this forum places the word "moderator" next to your screen name or informs me that all responses must be highly detailed, informative, and full of automotive jargon, I will continue offering advice in my usual fashion.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:16 PM
expyenthusiast
New User
Good to know that you found a remedy. As I mentioned in my previous post, I always hear a ticking noise when my engine starts in cold weather. Cold being below 40 degrees. If, for example, I start my engine and immediately start to drive down the road, the ticking will increase as you mentioned - until the engine is warm. My gut feeling was that nothing was too serious when you mentioned that it goes away when at operating temperature.

While I don't always reply in great detail, I believe we always tend to fear the worse for our vehicles when we get on a forum and start reading posts on topics sounding close similar to problems experienced with our own vehicles. A prime example is ejecting spark plugs. It doesn't take much to find a thread asking if one's plugs are going to shoot out of the head (figuratively speaking). Now, had you mentioned that the ticking never went away, I would be a lot more concerned.

In summary, good for you on this issue. Glad it's resolved. Question: is your geographic location a place that experiences cold weather?

Granted, you make a valid point - and your original response to the OP's question was informative. I'll give you that. However, I resent your first response to me. I took it as an insulting remark when I, like you, was offering an opinion on a question. After all, most solutions to automotive problems start as opinions. "I think...x, y, z, etc. is it" or "I experienced ______ similar to you, so try _______." A forum, such as this one, is automotive diagnostics sight unseen. We, as members of this free forum (unless a paid subscriber), are offering advice to help one another help in a friendly and informative manner. I might have come up seemingly short on the informative part, but, nonetheless, I offered my opinion in attempt to help. As anything one reads on the internet, the result is the same: take it or leave it.

In conclusion, constructive criticism is a highly effective method and positive way of communicating alternative viewpoints than your own. Until this forum places the word "moderator" next to your screen name or informs me that all responses must be highly detailed, informative, and full of automotive jargon, I will continue offering advice in my usual fashion.
temps are more extreme here in mn. summer can hit over 100 and winter can dip around 30 below although not for long periods of time. Just a quick fyi. i have owned 3 expys now and have not encountered any spark plug ejecting issues and neither has anyone i know who have any year expy. i had heard they can do that but just haven't seen it myself.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:28 AM
r2millers
Postmaster

"In summary, good for you on this issue. Glad it's resolved. Question: is your geographic location a place that experiences cold weather?"

97 expyguy,
I think you thought this guy was the originator of this thread but this is another person with what worked for him. Just an FYI.

Also, to point # 2, I originally meant to add some humor with your "diagnosis" and not meant to insult, however, after your question, I felt compelled to respond with a constructive comment.
This place is about getting good info, good opinion, and some good humor too.
I should have added a few laughing and it would have added a different twist.
Cheers.

Quick Reply: Expedition Engine Tick