Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Brown Sludge

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 08:12 PM
Bodaddio
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brown Sludge

Yesterday I posted about my kids coming back in the truck with it smoking and what not. They did not get to do all I asked them to do today, but I did get these pics.

Tomorrow they are pulling the plugs (I hope). Anyone ever done this job on one of these before?

Shawn

Old 12-27-2012, 06:12 AM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,490 Likes on 1,301 Posts
I believe what that is just moisture I guess you can call it. I get that on rare occasions but slightly on the underside of the cap and never that much. Almost seems like they ran the truck with low oil for awhile. When was that actual last time they looked in there or checked and filled the oil, if they'll even be honest with you. We know how kids like to skirt the truth a little.

It could be just me but I like to check all the fluids every couple days and even more when I'm putting 5-10 hour drives in.

Old 12-27-2012, 07:24 AM
sammie0126
Postmaster
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I sent you the link on the plug change which I know you linked to them, but one tip. If you just want a preview of what the plugs look like, don't have them pull all of them. Too much risk having them all sit there open until you return, unless you are having them replace them all.....I would be hesitant to allow them to do that. Have them pull one on each side and send you a photo of it, if it's going to sit until you get back then have them put the coil/boot without the spring it back down into the hole to make sure nothing gets dropped down in there while they are messing with other things. I would hate to see you have to go metal searching with a reach magnet when you get back on top of everything else. That sludge, if you hadn't already told us your other "symptoms" I would say that's just condensation, but.....that could very well be coolant in your oil. They need to pull the drain plug and get you a photo of what the oil looks like from the bottom.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:39 AM
knightrider955
Senior User
Listen..dont bother pulling the plugs. Have them drain the oil and see what it looks like. If its milky looking then theres no need to go any farther. You have coolent getting in the motor some how. Probably a blown head gasket. That white sludge is way more than condensation. Pulling the plugs will only tell which cylinder the coolant is leaking into. So you would have to pull them all and risk breaking one off or stripping one out and making things worse. Start by draining the oil first and seeing what it looks like. If it looks milky, tell the boys to wait until you get home before messing with it any more. Trust me.

Old 12-27-2012, 01:30 PM
Bodaddio
Senior User
Thanks for the reply everyone. Hopefully the oil and coolant are being drained today. Our other car is acting up and that has taken priority. It doesn't look like there is any oil in the coolant tank. Not sure what I hope to see.

Thanks again

Old 12-27-2012, 02:33 PM
Bodaddio
Senior User
OK oil is drained. One problem my Wife said she added some just the other day, after all the problems. When the boys got back there was oil just on the tip of the dip stick. So I guess she added about a quart. I only have used oil at the house I was not able to get rid of. So she added a quart of used oil. Either way this is what it looks like.
Looks dirty that is about it. But then again it is not all the original oil.
I am at a loss now. It all has to be going somewhere.

Old 12-27-2012, 02:47 PM
sammie0126
Postmaster
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Ok so it's not leaking oil according to anyone there? No puddles anywhere? If it's leaking oil and was low, truck starts to run hot and the coolant blew out the overflow because it was too hot? But for this theory to be viable there has to be a puddle of oil somewhere....

Really need to get that thing on a scanner and see if it's got any codes or pending codes. I would have the boys change the oil/filter and top off the coolant, then start it see how it sounds, if it's sounds ok and doesn't puke oil or coolant have them take it to local auto parts store like Autozone or O'Reilly and have them scan it for codes.

I would do that before you start having them pull any of the plugs and refilling both with clean will help them find anything that leaking.

Old 12-27-2012, 04:31 PM
Bodaddio
Senior User
Thanks Sammie.

No reports of oil puddles. None when I left either. It would burn a little but never leaked.
Dear Wife is worried about filling it all back up and blowing the engine.