Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Lock Actuator Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 06:29 PM
Mark Alligood
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lock Actuator Question

I'm looking at some actuators on ebay and I am wondering if there is a difference in design from the front actuators and the rear ones? I haven't actually been into my rear doors yet so I haven't seen them. The auction is for four of them but the seller says that they won't fit the four door model. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me to be honest so I thought I would ask you guys. I know there are more than a few of you that have had hands on the lock actuators. The link to the ebay item is below so you can take a peek if you like. Thanks a bunch.

Mark

Lock Actuators

Old 12-25-2012, 06:47 PM
caverjoe
Posting Guru
I cant imagine buying new actuators instead of just doing the fix on em? I after i did the fix that i found on here a few years back I have not had a problem since. If you dont know about it try a search I dont have the link but I am sure someone does and I will take a look around and see if I can find it.

Old 12-25-2012, 06:52 PM
caverjoe
Posting Guru
Old 12-25-2012, 07:48 PM
Mark Alligood
Senior User
Yeah I know about the fix but honestly the $40 is worth the time saved to focus on some of the other things I need to work on. I'm usually all about fixing things myself but if I can get all four for $10 a piece that just makes it seem like a whole lot of wasted time. I know that sounds lazy but I have bigger fish to fry and it's damn cold outside.

Old 12-25-2012, 07:51 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Alligood
I am wondering if there is a difference in design from the front actuators and the rear ones?
Front and rear are the same. The difference is left or right.

Old 12-25-2012, 08:01 PM
jeffreyt
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I just did one today, and the vast majority of time was spent removing and reinstalling, which you would have to do anyway.

Here's the right up I did earlier:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...special-3.html

Keep in mind that if you buy replacements, you are going to have to replace them again a few years from now. If you fix them, it's permanent.

But to answer your question, refer to PaysonPSD above... No difference front to rear, just left to right.

Old 12-25-2012, 08:26 PM
Mark Alligood
Senior User
Thanks guys. I plan to keep the old ones on the bench to tinker with on one of those days when I'm bored.

Old 12-25-2012, 11:30 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Alligood
Thanks guys. I plan to keep the old ones on the bench to tinker with on one of those days when I'm bored.
40 bucks for 4 actuators and free shipping. I think you are doing the smart thing.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:41 AM
caverjoe
Posting Guru
touche' .

Old 12-27-2012, 11:32 AM
howellt39
Senior User
Agreed, doing the fix isn't worth the time investment considering how inexpensive they are. Not quite that bored yet...

I've had to do all four of mine in the past two years, you get pretty good at it!

Old 12-27-2012, 11:53 AM
empiretc
Lead Driver
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by howellt39
Agreed, doing the fix isn't worth the time investment considering how inexpensive they are.

Agreed, but still do not understand why you guys go through all the trouble of taking the OEM ones in and out.

You can get a set of 4 aftermarket ones for less than $20 and install them along with the factory ones. Did this on old green, and put the cheap ones in an easy to reach location so if one dies, it will be a quick swap.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:12 PM
caverjoe
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by empiretc
Agreed, but still do not understand why you guys go through all the trouble of taking the OEM ones in and out.

You can get a set of 4 aftermarket ones for less than $20 and install them along with the factory ones. Did this on old green, and put the cheap ones in an easy to reach location so if one dies, it will be a quick swap.
I dont quite understand why you want to spend $20 when you have to take them out anyway. The fix cost about 4 square inches of tin foil for four locks and it is fixed for good. If the originals went out I would think the new ones will as well. Sure not for a few years but I like to fix something once if I can.

Old 12-28-2012, 06:29 PM
dloomis
Freshman User
Sorry to hi-jack this thread, but need some help with this. Did the mod on thr front driver door, and although the lock will unlock with the remote, it will not lock. Any ideas?

Old 12-28-2012, 07:43 PM
Mark Alligood
Senior User
I don't have the answer to your question but this is a perfect example of why I'm buying new ones. To take them out, tear them apart, fix them, reassemble, replace, and then find out that they don't work would probably cause a tool or two to get thrown.

Old 12-28-2012, 07:54 PM
jeffreyt
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm assuming the rest lock fine? Does it work with the button on the door, just not the remote?

Does it try to unlock, but doesn't go all the way, or does it not move at all? Are you sure the three rods are hooked back up right?

Quick Reply: Lock Actuator Question