Sponsored by:

To turn or not to turn X rotors

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 07:31 AM
Central VA X
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To turn or not to turn X rotors

2001 X in need of a brake job. Any recommendations for us.

Old 12-24-2012, 09:58 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
It depends if the rotors are within thickness specs if they can be turned or not. Even still if you are having a pulsing peddle problem turning the rotors may only be a temporary fix. Many times once a rotor warps it won't take much to warp it again especially after taking some material off of it.

Personally if the rotors are warped, and close to minimum thickness specs I would just get new. New rotors, new pads, new caliper pins and use actual caliper pin grease. Suck out as much of the old brake fluid from the reservoir as you can get a with a turkey baster or the like and fill with new and bleed the brakes out till you see new fluid flowing from each bleeder (one at a time). Keep an eye on the reservoir while bleeding so it doesn't get to low. Make sure and open the bleeder when pushing the pistons back into the calipers so you don't push the junk back up threw the brake system.

Old 12-24-2012, 09:44 PM
njneer1
Posting Guru

Don't turn them.....they warp at full thickness

Old 12-24-2012, 10:32 PM
Lance Helmert
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Replaced the rear, turned the front, but just did it a few days ago. I took out the parking brakes, they were not releasing all the way. The RR was 424 degrees. They seem to work great. Normally I replace everything (rotors,calipers,pads), so if I have problems with the turned rotors I will post it.

Old 12-24-2012, 11:42 PM
ROBBINthaHOOD
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Since we are talking brakes Ill ask my question here. I just ordered a full set of rotors and pads from brakemotive on ebay. My question is how are people bedding them. Also which grease would I need to put on the slide pins. Im not changing calipers but will probably refill alot of the brake fluid. Thanks.

Old 12-25-2012, 12:04 AM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
its a band aid for the rotors. after a few factory sets i finally spent the money on powerslot rotors cryo treated. have not has an issue after over a year. very happy!

for bedding, i slowly run up in speed then brake pretty hard. IE 20,30,40,50,60mph dont stop though come down to a roll! i get up to about 70mph then a hard almost stop and call it good. it has worked well for me in the past and on this set of rotors.

Old 12-25-2012, 12:23 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
Many times once a rotor warps it won't take much to warp it again especially after taking some material off of it.
Originally Posted by njneer1
Don't turn them.....they warp at full thickness
Just for clarity sake, its usually not a warped rotor that causes the shimmy/judder/shake in the pedal.

The pulsations are almost always caused by cementite formation. Sometimes called hot spots or blackspotting.

Stewart

Old 12-25-2012, 12:32 AM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

yeah i saw some alot of blue/dark spots in my factory rotors when i took them off. they had started to pulse pretty bad AGAIN i was so tired of it. i dont tow heavy but i brake very aggressively.

Old 12-25-2012, 12:54 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Here's a previous post of mine regarding rotors for anyone curious about cementite formation.

Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Here's some information for you Trey that I've posted in various threads over time regarding "warped" rotors.

Your rotors most likely aren't warping. What's happening is cementite is being formed, caused by hot spots on the rotor which causes the warped "shimmy/pulsation" feel.

The definition of warp is a twist or curve that has developed in something originally flat or straight. That's not what's happening to rotors when it comes to the problems described in the various "brake rotor warp" threads.

The problem is the formation of cementite, sometimes called hot spotting, or black spotting. No amount of turning on a lathe can permanently eliminate this problem.

Hot spots, black spotting, cementite, carbite, hard spots, whatever you wanna call it, it cannot be fixed by turning the rotor. These spots are what causes the brake shimmy, pulsation, warped feeling described in almost every single one of these brake threads. Once hot spots/cementite has formed (aka "black spotting") the rotor is cannot be "cured" of the problem and new rotors are necessary.

Turning can make brakes feel true again, but the shimmy/pulsation will come back in time. Sometimes a very short time.

"Cast iron is an alloy of iron and silicon in solution interspersed with particles of carbon. At elevated temperatures, inclusions of carbides begin to form in the matrix. In the case of the brake disk, any uneven deposits - standing proud of the disc surface - become hotter than the surrounding metal. Every time that the leading edge of one of the deposits rotates into contact with the pad, the local temperature increases. When this local temperature reaches around 1200 or 1300 degrees F. the cast iron under the deposit begins to transform into cementite (an iron carbide in which three atoms of iron combine with one atom of carbon). Cementite is very hard, very abrasive and is a poor heat sink. If severe use continues the system will enter a self-defeating spiral - the amount and depth of the cementite increases with increasing temperature and so does the brake roughness."
StopTech : Balanced Brake Upgrades

A lot of guys will combat this problem with cryo treated rotors because the cryo treating process eliminates the possibility of hot spots to occur in the rotor.

Based on personal experience, as well as threads and posts I've read over the last 7 years here and at TDS, this is a common failing with the stock rotor.

Years ago when I attacked this problem, cryo treated rotors were the only solution that worked 100% of the time. Since then, others have solved this problem with rotors that aren't cryo treated, saving themselves money too because the cryo treated rotors aint cheap.

Here is another excerpt by Carroll Smith in his article "The 'Warped' Brake Disc and Other Myths of the Braking System"

"The term "warped brake disc" has been in common use in motor racing for decades. When a driver reports a vibration under hard braking, inexperienced crews, after checking for (and not finding) cracks often attribute the vibration to "warped discs". They then measure the disc thickness in various places, find significant variation and the diagnosis is cast in stone.

When disc brakes for high performance cars arrived on the scene we began to hear of "warped brake discs" on road going cars, with the same analyses and diagnoses. Typically, the discs are resurfaced to cure the problem and, equally typically, after a relatively short time the roughness or vibration comes back. Brake roughness has caused a significant number of cars to be bought back by their manufacturers under the "lemon laws". This has been going on for decades now - and, like most things that we have cast in stone, the diagnoses are wrong.

With one qualifier, presuming that the hub and wheel flange are flat and in good condition and that the wheel bolts or hat mounting hardware is in good condition, installed correctly and tightened uniformly and in the correct order to the recommended torque specification, in more than 40 years of professional racing, including the Shelby/Ford GT 40s – one of the most intense brake development program in history - I have never seen a warped brake disc. I have seen lots of cracked discs, (FIGURE 1) discs that had turned into shallow cones at operating temperature because they were mounted rigidly to their attachment bells or top hats, (FIGURE 2) a few where the friction surface had collapsed in the area between straight radial interior vanes, (FIGURE 3) and an untold number of discs with pad material unevenly deposited on the friction surfaces - sometimes visible and more often not. (FIGURE 4)

In fact every case of "warped brake disc" that I have investigated, whether on a racing car or a street car, has turned out to be friction pad material transferred unevenly to the surface of the disc. This uneven deposition results in thickness variation (TV) or run-out due to hot spotting that occurred at elevated temperatures."

StopTech : Balanced Brake Upgrades

EBC, a very well respected brake company also has information about Cementite on their EBC web page.

Stewart

Old 12-25-2012, 09:53 AM
Forest
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AlaskanEx
its a band aid for the rotors. after a few factory sets i finally spent the money on powerslot rotors cryo treated. have not has an issue after over a year. very happy!

for bedding, i slowly run up in speed then brake pretty hard. IE 20,30,40,50,60mph dont stop though come down to a roll! i get up to about 70mph then a hard almost stop and call it good. it has worked well for me in the past and on this set of rotors.
I second your experience(s). I've had very good service from Powerslot Cryorotors on 2 different Excursions. 50K miles on the set I'm driving now and no issues. I follow about the same bedding procedure, with again the main point to avoid full stops during the hot braking events.

Old 12-25-2012, 01:38 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
What did you pay for those cryo treated rotors?

Old 12-25-2012, 03:58 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

i think i paid like $400 shipped for just the fronts. but the shipping here kills me i have not done the rear's yet. but plan to!

Old 12-25-2012, 06:28 PM
Turfzilla
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just get a set from Orielys with lifetime warranty. I can not remember but I think they were under $100 for the set.

Old 12-25-2012, 06:42 PM
OleGrouch
Junior User
Turfzilla, could you give more info on the rotors, I need a set, OleGrouch down in Murray.

Old 12-26-2012, 01:02 AM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Originally Posted by Turfzilla
Just get a set from Orielys with lifetime warranty. I can not remember but I think they were under $100 for the set.
i had put a set of lifetime's one before and they started pulsing within 5k miles. i was sick and tired of replacing rotors so i went with the good stuff. 13k later no vibrations, pulsing anything of the sort.

Quick Reply: To turn or not to turn X rotors