Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Western Region > Nevada Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Nevada Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:67 Olfthfl

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-23-2012, 03:47 PM
Posting Guru

Gembone has a great reputation on FTE.Gembone has a great reputation on FTE.Gembone has a great reputation on FTE.Gembone has a great reputation on FTE.
5.4L secondary cam chain timing marks?

hey all,

trying to get a truck for a friend put back together for him.
I am working with a 5.4L 32-valve DOHC V8 from a 10/99 Navigator.
He brought me the truck with the heads off and fresh from the machine shop.
The machine shop removed the secondary cam timing chains when they cleaned the heads but didn't mark them.
I need to know where to line up the cam secondary gears to get the chains lined up properly.
I have a printout for the main timing chain timing marks but not the secondaries.
Click the image to open in full size.
Any one out there got a link or possibly access to all-data that might give me this info?
I still have the heads off the motor so that I can rotate the cams into position without bending a valve.
So info about possibly changing the cams that tells how to properly align from scratch?

Thanks

1970 F100 Flareside, 300 i6, 4-spd, 2wd
My Truck Thread
Old 01-08-2013, 11:14 AM
Posting Guru

Gembone has a great reputation on FTE.Gembone has a great reputation on FTE.Gembone has a great reputation on FTE.Gembone has a great reputation on FTE.
UPDATE: The only info I was able to find prior to today was to align the timing mark on the cam gear with the colored link in the secondary chain.
Originally I thought my chains didn't have the off-colored link but I gave them a good cleaning and managed to find those links. Yay for me!
My friend got the machine shop to also take a look and set them if my alignment is incorrect.
He will be taking the heads back by there today.
I will keep you updated if my timing was right or wrong.
Also thanks to SDV10 who posted the pick of the cam gear timing from the Navigator shop manual in his tech stuff album.
Will be very helpful for those that don't have the colored chain and can count links.
Click the image to open in full size.

1970 F100 Flareside, 300 i6, 4-spd, 2wd
My Truck Thread
Old 01-08-2013, 11:14 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Western Region > Nevada Chapter