Bronco II Ford Bronco II

*ISSUE* 1988 Bronco II Rough IDLE.

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 10:49 PM
Bronco_Beginner
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
*ISSUE* 1988 Bronco II Rough IDLE.

Ok this is my first post yes, because i have almost ran out of ideas on what to do, Here is the short story on the car.

I bought it from the original owner i am the second, Car has around 68100 Miles on it its a Ford Bronco II, IT idles roughly, Dies on me while at idle at some spots , and died couple times on me while i park in reverse if my wheel goes all the way to the right or left sometimes, and it died on me while i was turning and i had to quickly restart or i would have hit a curb, I cant figure out why the guage wont stay stable. It drops from around 900 - 500 or lower rpm and just bounces or so and you can feel on the shifter handle it kind of has rough shake to it, This car is a 5 Speed, I have replaced Radiator, waterpump, thermostat, sparkplugs, with motorcraft plugs, new bosch wires, new fuel pump, new fuel filter, Got a new distributor cap and rotor going on tommorow , I cant figure out why this car is idling bad.. i mean i got it for 1500$ and have been fixing many parts including wheels tires , shocks, weatherstripping, and just its starting to **** me off, Firestone told me he has no idea and to start on monday if i bring it in just to diagnose its 99$ but i dont want to go that way knowing he will just start saying part after part after part to replace... and making a huge dent in my wallet. I am a 21 year old kid so money saved is really good for a college student. So now this is why i made an account i really need some damn good advice guys, this car is really making me mad at this point, the muffler has to be replaceed next cause the damn rattle gets annoying now. Oh also i forgot to mention since today i changed out 1 rear spark plug on the furthest passanger side today, and cleaned the sensor in air intake just to see if that would make a difference , and had an adult mess around with throttle piece that opens and closes the throttle, now i hear a hummm that annoys the crap out of me when idling, when i drive its not there. Oh yeah and i also got a replaced I.A.C Valve, even though the fuel pump and iac still looked ok, i said to hell with it. So please help me get this damn car running, i only had it a few months and put maybe 1000 miles on it at most? cause it just runs terrible and i dont feel safe in it.

Here is a posting i did
http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/3466976227.html

I am not selling the car if i can fix the damn thing, i posted that because it started getting annoying, so please refrain from emaling or asking or calling me about it. It explains all the things i did to and whats wrong with it. Also has pictures. If this is against rules i will just upload the pics here.

REPLACED PARTS.

*New* Radiator / Waterpump/ 192 Degree Thermostat
*New* Tires / Rims
*New* Lifetime warranty Monroe race shocks on rear and front
*New* Trunk Weatherstripping
*New* Spark Plugs/Wires
*New* Front Calipers / Brakes and Disks
*New* Rear Drum Brake Pieces, Pads still good , Bled and brakes good.
*New*Master Cylinder, and Fluid Container.
*New* Door Hinges + Plastic pieces antisqueeking.
*New* Rear Door Hinges
*New* Radiator Fan Bolts
*New* Air Filter
*New* Idle Air Control Valve
*New* Fuel Pump
*New* Fuel Filter
*New* Distributor Cap + Rotor

Old 12-23-2012, 12:57 AM
Bronco_Beginner
New User
Any help guys?

Old 12-23-2012, 03:16 AM
rookieshooter
New User
Does an 88 have an oxygen sensor? If it does then find out how to test it. Probably just a simple Ohm test?

Old 12-23-2012, 03:19 AM
Bronco_Beginner
New User
Originally Posted by rookieshooter
Does an 88 have an oxygen sensor? If it does then find out how to test it. Probably just a simple Ohm test?
What? i didnt understand your question to what i need help with.

Old 12-23-2012, 03:25 AM
rookieshooter
New User
Originally Posted by Bronco_Beginner
What? i didnt understand your question to what i need help with.
If you do in fact have an oxygen sensor located in the exhaust then by all means it needs to be checked. I'd get a Haynes or some other vehicle specific book and it will explain how to check it and it's location.
Here is a link.
HowStuffWorks "How does the oxygen sensor in a car work?"

Old 12-23-2012, 03:31 AM
Bronco_Beginner
New User
Originally Posted by rookieshooter
If you do in fact have an oxygen sensor located in the exhaust then by all means it needs to be checked. I'd get a Haynes or some other vehicle specific book and it will explain how to check it and it's location.
Here is a link.
HowStuffWorks "How does the oxygen sensor in a car work?"

I do have a handbook. But if this does not fix the issue what then? cause i dont want to be throwing money at the car. And if so how do i test a O2 sensor.

Old 12-24-2012, 08:47 PM
Ridenred333
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would check o2 sensors and also have the fuel pressure checked it could be low pressure. My 86 did this and that is what was wrong with it. ALso when was the last time it had fuel filter changed, have you pulled spark plugs to see what shape they are in they can have a contribution to the problem.

Old 12-24-2012, 10:45 PM
Bronco_Beginner
New User
Originally Posted by Ridenred333
I would check o2 sensors and also have the fuel pressure checked it could be low pressure. My 86 did this and that is what was wrong with it. ALso when was the last time it had fuel filter changed, have you pulled spark plugs to see what shape they are in they can have a contribution to the problem.
When i got the car as i posted above, i Put new Motorcraft platinum spark plugs and new bosch wires., I will get a new O2 sensor tommorow, if that does not work, back to square 0....

Old 12-25-2012, 12:11 AM
twigsV10
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Pull the vacuum line off the fuel regulator if fuel comes out it's bad, will cause bad idle and bad mpg.

Last edited by twigsV10; 01-16-2013 at 10:36 PM. Reason: mpg not mph
Old 12-25-2012, 12:24 AM
Bronco_Beginner
New User
Originally Posted by twigsV10
Pull the vacuum line off the fuel regulator if fuel comes out it's bad, will cause bad idle and bad mph.
Where is this located at? When i changed out the fuel filter, fuel was dripping out of that sucker, and its in a PITA spot to get to, was a bitch.

Old 12-27-2012, 07:52 PM
fl1a
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a 88 BII and when it acts up like that, it is usually the idle air control on the side of the intake plenum. It is the control through which the engine computer keeps the engine idle regulated when there is any load placed on the engine during idle. They get dirty and can be cleaned sometimes with carb cleaner. if it makes a difference, then goes back to allowing the engine to die, you may have to replace it. Look up the part on a parts store website, then you can recognize it on the passenger side of the intake.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:17 PM
Bronco_Beginner
New User
Originally Posted by fl1a
I have a 88 BII and when it acts up like that, it is usually the idle air control on the side of the intake plenum. It is the control through which the engine computer keeps the engine idle regulated when there is any load placed on the engine during idle. They get dirty and can be cleaned sometimes with carb cleaner. if it makes a difference, then goes back to allowing the engine to die, you may have to replace it. Look up the part on a parts store website, then you can recognize it on the passenger side of the intake.

What?? No i already replaced that read my post and click the link it tells you everything i replaced. / that i will just post it here.

And my ISSUE still is there. even with new IAC

Old 12-27-2012, 09:56 PM
fl1a
More Turbo
Sorry about that. The fuel pressure regulator is located near the drivers side of the intake plenum. It is the small diaphragm can near your fuel lines. One thing you might want to try is to have the diagnostic codes read on your car. If you cant afford to get a reader, see if you can rent or borrow one at a parts store. Write down the codes. Also make sure your vacuum lines are in good shape. It doesn't take much of a vacuum leak to make your engine run crappy. If you have not replaced the o2 sensor, wait until you check the codes, you dont want to replace it if you don't have to.

Old 12-28-2012, 12:26 AM
Bronco_Beginner
New User
Originally Posted by fl1a
Sorry about that. The fuel pressure regulator is located near the drivers side of the intake plenum. It is the small diaphragm can near your fuel lines. One thing you might want to try is to have the diagnostic codes read on your car. If you cant afford to get a reader, see if you can rent or borrow one at a parts store. Write down the codes. Also make sure your vacuum lines are in good shape. It doesn't take much of a vacuum leak to make your engine run crappy. If you have not replaced the o2 sensor, wait until you check the codes, you dont want to replace it if you don't have to.

Ok well I can take it to autozone they have the device but it requires a spot to plug into the car. Like most cars. Have it under the dash of the drivers side. But where is it on the bronco?*

Old 12-28-2012, 07:09 AM
fl1a
More Turbo
The connector should be on the passenger inside fender wall, near the box where the relays and starter solenoid are located. It hangs in it's cover and has a large multi connector and a single wire connector. Your service manual or readers' manual should explain the test procedure. It is an OBD I system.

Quick Reply: *ISSUE* 1988 Bronco II Rough IDLE.