1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

trcuk stalls going uphill, but not in reverse?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 05:06 PM
motoxxman
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trcuk stalls going uphill, but not in reverse?

hello,
so try to keep it short, its 79 ford f150, 351 cleveland. motorcraft 2150 carb. so while going up a hill it losses power until it stalls, then when restart, takes like 60secs to rebuild rpms to full power again. but i can go up same hills in reverse with no problem, or loss of power?
i pulled to carb to rebuild, but found brand new one for cheap so its a brand new 2150 on it now, stock settings on carb, didnt touch anything out of box. and exact same issue. (fyi,, truck is driven between 7000 -8000ft altitude if that matters) and when i say hill, not like im hillclimbing it! just normal mountain roads here, so yes, decent grade, but not offroading.
do i need to adjust float? what height? air/fuel mixture screws? i put a fuel cell in bed, to eliminate all lines and tank. same problem. put on electric pump, bypassed mechanical pump, and it got a little better, didnt stall, but still major power loss as i climb hill.

(also fyi,,to try and solve i have put on new dizzy,cap,rotor,coil,plugs, wires)

thanks

Old 12-22-2012, 05:26 PM
justforkicks
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You may want to look into buying a new fuel pump. Sounds like she's getting a little weak.

Edit: Nevermind... just read everything... What psi is the pump pushing and also how many gallons per minute because stock is 8 psi with 45 gpm I think.

Old 12-22-2012, 05:31 PM
motoxxman
New User
yes, seems like thats the issue. i did buy new mechanical pump, still did same thing, and as i said i bought new electric pump and ran new line to by pass all old lines and tank, etc... and problem did get better,, but still major power loss on hills?

thanks

Old 12-22-2012, 05:35 PM
justforkicks
Posting Guru
How's your fuel filter looking? Screen in the fuel tank? Are you sure you don't have any obstructions in the lines?

Old 12-22-2012, 05:37 PM
motoxxman
New User
new filter..and liek i said, not using any old lines, or tank.. put cell in truck bed, and ran new line right to filter then into carb,,,so i could eliminate all the old lines, tank, etc...

thanks

Old 12-22-2012, 05:38 PM
vic_v8
Elder User
I'd take your float level up just a hair, then try again.

Old 12-22-2012, 05:40 PM
motoxxman
New User
ok.. so up a hair...now i have to bend that little part to raise it, no easy adjustment for that, correct?

Old 12-22-2012, 05:55 PM
justforkicks
Posting Guru
When you stomp on it does it do the same thing? Or is it just hills?

Old 12-22-2012, 06:00 PM
motoxxman
New User
and the reason i am focused on a carb issue is because how it seems fine while going uphill in reverse?? just sucks going forward?

thanks again

Old 06-26-2016, 01:21 PM
BaltoMoJoe
Senior User
Originally Posted by justforkicks
When you stomp on it does it do the same thing? Or is it just hills?
I'm now having a similar issue, seems to be mostly at lower speeds, and yes JFK, if I stomp on it, it does that too, but if I try to duplicate this in Park, it doesn't happen, I set timing back to 6*BTDC, as Ford recommends on the sticker, and it still happens

1979 F150 351M

what is your theory on this issue ?

Old 06-26-2016, 03:59 PM
Filthy Beast
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This thread is 3.5 years old.....I think the OP might have gotten it fixed by now.....

Your situation: the 351M/400 likes 10* - 12* BTDC as stated on one of my old valve covers. Try bumping your timing up to that. Is your engine fully smog endowed?

Losing power under load could be a carb (accelerator pump, too lean a mixture setting) problem, timing, or vac advance. How's your vacuum advance can? Not a shot diaphragm or sticky mechanism? I would check yer vac advance for problems.

Old 06-26-2016, 09:04 PM
BaltoMoJoe
Senior User
I know the thread is old, it came up in a search for my situation

I had it set at 10* BTDC, that's when the stall and hesitating started to happen, so I set it back to Factory specs, and "smog endowed?" I really don't know, it has valve to carb vacuum, no Cat

how would I check the Vac Advance

Old 06-27-2016, 07:21 AM
Filthy Beast
Postmaster
Originally Posted by BaltoMoJoe
how would I check the Vac Advance

Pull the distributor cap and rotor....pull the vacuum line from the carb leaving it attached to the Vac can. Or attach a hose to the vac can nipple and apply vacuum to it. Watch the advance arm inside the distributor to see if there's any movement - it should move ~ 0.50" toward the front of the vehicle when vacuum is applied and move back when vacuum is taken away.

No moment = bad diaphragm in the vac advance can and time to replace it.

Smog endowed = a plethora of vacuum lines all over the place, EGR, vacuum switches, etc.

Old 07-01-2016, 06:38 AM
BaltoMoJoe
Senior User
well, it seems I've found my Distributor Vacuum Advance is hooked up to the Full Vacuum Manifold Port, and my Timed Spark Vacuum Source is capped off, (Holley 4160) its been this way since I got the truck almost 2 1/2 years ago, I'll fix that this weekend, but do you think I may need to reset the Distributor ? also thinking of a Carb rebuild

Old 07-01-2016, 07:36 AM
Filthy Beast
Postmaster
If the timing was set right - vac. adv unplugged and capped - you wouldn't have to re-set it. It would be a good idea to recheck it anyway and set it to where she should be ~ 12* BTDC.

What would need to be reset is your carb settings...curb idle and mixture settings. Hopefully you have a vacuum gauge to use. Do the timing first then carb adjustments.

Quick Reply: trcuk stalls going uphill, but not in reverse?