1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

1981 F150 Stepside 4x4 351 - resto project

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 02:34 PM
EarlyCobra
Junior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1981 F150 Stepside 4x4 351 - resto project

Hello all,

I've been watching here for a while as I was looking for the perfect truck and I finally found it in colorado. I had to have a stepside 4x4, preferred the biggest motor and really wanted a 4sp but you can't have it all, right? I've already got an '84 F350 single cab dually, 460/C6 truck and really wanted a matching stepside 4x4 to do a restoration on.

A little background on me, I've got about a dozen 85-6 5.0 mustangs (highway patrol cars, GTs, and some more rare stuff) but have been really digging the Bullnose stepside trucks. I came across this one, and am trying to learn as much about them as I can before I dig in. Here's my Dually:

I typically go all-original with my stuff and this one will be no different, so the correct wheels will need to be sourced, I'll order interior fabric from SMS, and I'll be starting paint probably early next year back in the factory colors.

The truck is extremely original, but trying to figure out a few things. I think it might be a "Free wheeling package" truck as it appears to have the darker grill and a few other things. It also has dual shocks up front, what would this option have been? It also has the under hood storage box which is neat.

Finally, I need to source a period-correct chrome bull bar. Chrome, not a full brush guard. Going to mount a couple period correct Marchal fog lights with covers on it and try and source a factory fog-lamp switch for it. If anyone has either of those items please PM me, I'm ready to buy.

Any help finding those parts and decoding anything on the truck would be great! Thanks for having me here, and I'll make this the restoration thread when I get started.

Old 12-22-2012, 05:49 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,678 Likes on 1,356 Posts
I guess you have the "mighty" 351m in there? How do you feel about modifying the engine internally, while keeping it original on the outside? That engine has a lot of potential that Ford left on the design table. I think Gary just mentioned he souped his 351m up a little bit and woke it up.

About the dual shocks; They had a "handling package" back then, and included the dual shocks and front and rear sway bars. Sway bars are not standard like you see them on most cars. They also had a trailer/camper package, but I don't know if yours would have had that option since it's a flareside. I guess it could tow a trailer, but would not be able to have a slide in camper. Why I mention this is usually these two packages were ordered together.

Look at the door tag and write the axle numbers/letters down, and the tranny number/letter down. We can decode that for you and tell you what ratio you have in the differentials.

Old 12-22-2012, 06:00 PM
EarlyCobra
Junior User
Thanks for the reply. I wouldn't mind stepping up the power a bit while keeping it stock in appearance (although it's got goofy valve covers and air cleaner that have to go already). I heard they retarded the cams in the trucks quite a bit from the factory, so getting an adjustable timing chain helps.

Interesting information about the handling package. I'll have to do some further research there.

And I don't know why I didn't think to post the door tag in the original post, here it is.

Old 12-22-2012, 06:23 PM
Franklin2
Axle 16 is a non-locking 3.50 ratio, and it looks like it's the Ford 9 inch. I am sure you know what a Ford 9 inch looks like, the other one they used was the 8.8 like in your mustangs.

Trans K is a c6 3 speed automatic.

Some others may know more about this than I do, but my old 1980 I had was pretty loaded from the factory, and I seem to remember my tag have that 15x6 ojj rims, and mine had those aluminum rims with the round holes in them. You do not see them very often.

Old 12-22-2012, 06:28 PM
Franklin2
I am trying to see it, but cannot quite make it out. Do you have a chrome locking hood release? That was a option also. And take a look at where the turnsignal lever goes into the steering column. It the hole looks like a "T", then support the steering wheel and push forward on the lever(toward the dash) and the steering wheel should tilt if you have that option.

Old 12-22-2012, 07:00 PM
EarlyCobra
Junior User
Thank you for the decode! I'll check out the rear end in it, I'm surprised that they would put an open rear end in a 4wd truck. Wouldn't that make it a 3wd?

I don't think the rims are factory, they are some kind of aftermarket wheel by the caps that are over the rear axle hubs. I thought it would have the steel 15x8s with trim rings...

It does have the tilt wheel, I found that out by messing with it and yes, locking hook latch release too. Maybe this is because of the under-hood storage box?

Old 12-22-2012, 07:12 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Those look to be the same wheels I have. They weren't on my truck but were an option for these years. But, give us a good picture so we can make sure.

As for the engine, I can't tell you which pieces woke the engine up, but I'd bet it was the cam. And, unfortunately I don't know what cam it has as I bought the engine after it had just been built. I've measured it 12 ways from Sunday but haven't as yet figured out what it is. In any event that engine runs really well and the original engine for the truck was a dog. It got 10.25 MPG and wouldn't do much, while the rebuilt engine gets much better mileage and could run circles around the other engine.

Old 12-22-2012, 07:43 PM
EarlyCobra
Junior User
I'll take a picture of the wheels, that would be neat if they original.

I"m definitely going to do some research on waking the 351 up. I looked at an '84 stepside 4x4 previous to this one that had the 351 HO which I wish was available in '81, but the truck wasn't in as good of condition nor as original.

I'll put up some detail pictures tomorrow

Old 12-22-2012, 08:45 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by EarlyCobra

1FT D F14 G 4 B P A45871

1FT = World Mfr. Identifier = Ford Motor Company, USA - Truck - Complete Vehicle
D = Brakes/GVWR = Class D = 5,001 - 6,000 pounds
F14 = Series Code = F150 4WD Pickup
G = Engine Code = 8 cyl 351 cid/5.8L 2V carb
4 = Check Digit = Ignore
B = Model Year Code = 1981
P = Assembly Plant Code = Twin Cities
A45871 = Numerical Sequence of Assembly

Exterior Paint Colors - you have a two-tone...
1C = Black Acrylic Lacquer
1P = Medium Gray Metallic Acrylic Enamel
F0248 = 248 lbs. of accessory equipment can be added to the front w/o requiring recertification
T0473 = 473 lbs. on the back (or maybe front & back combined, I forget for sure... it's the Tare Weight)
DSO 76 = Denver (location of original purchasing dealer)
WB = 117" Wheelbase
TYPE-GVW F140 = Model Code = F140 = F150 4WD Pickup, 5,500 lb. GVWR
BODY CD3 =
CD = Red cloth & vinyl full-width bench seat
3 = Back-of-cab equipment = Regular cab w/Flareside (Type 83) pickup box
TRANS K = 3 spd C6 Automatic (as stated by Franklin)
AXLE 16 = 3.50:1 ratio, 3,750 lb. capacity Ford axle (as stated by Franklin)

Source: FoMoCo 1980/89 Light Truck Master Parts Catalog, available on CD from hipoparts for ~$20

Old 12-22-2012, 08:48 PM
EarlyCobra
Junior User
Thank you for that!! Was curious what the name of the gray used was.

What will I need to do to get the pinstripe tape kit once it's repainted?

Old 12-22-2012, 08:51 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Pinstripe tape kit = improvise. Any remaining NOS tape kits are at least 20 yo and are cracked & brittle & useless at this point.

Old 12-22-2012, 08:54 PM
EarlyCobra
Junior User
I might search for a kit anyway, I want it to be original. Or maybe check with a vinyl shop about making a kit for me.

Any ideas where to start searching for a bull-bar?

Old 12-22-2012, 08:59 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Here are my wheels:

Attached Images  
Old 12-22-2012, 09:01 PM
EarlyCobra
Junior User
Are those wheels original? Mine definitely look billet, I don't think they are correct.

Also, does anyone ever find the build sheets in these trucks? If so, where are they usually hidden?

Old 12-22-2012, 09:03 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Those weren't original to that truck, but those wheels were available for that year. And, my build sheet was under the seat between the foam and the bottom springs.

Quick Reply: 1981 F150 Stepside 4x4 351 - resto project