Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-22-2012, 12:45 PM
Senior User

dmanshane is starting off with a positive reputation.
na na na boduke01yeehaw na
Hutch mod

I am thinking on doing the hutch mod..... I start sucking air at about a 1/4 tank of diesel left? I do have a couple question what do you do to hook up the fuel lines to the top of the tank and the fuel pump since they are a quick disconnect type of deal more worried about the fuel pump side because on the fuel tank it looks like you can slip a piece of hose on the outlet of the tank
2000 f350 xlt srw 4x4 6spd manual mods are CCv,harpoon hpx, frx, coolant by pass filter, foil delete, iah delete, Ocv, Garrett 38r turbo ,6637 mod, 4 inch straight turbo back ranch hand front bumper with skid plate, fog lights, ebpv exhaust break, stancore gpr, window switch blue led, heater control blue led, and other cab bulbs blue led, ts 6 position chip... stock, high idle, 50, 75, 100, 140,
Old 12-22-2012, 12:50 PM
Elder User

srteach is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.srteach is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The hose ends are attached the same ... push on and clamp tight. Pre pump is vacuum and that will help seal the hose.
Darrell, PAA#131

The Blue(ish) Beast. 7.3 manual, 6637 Mod, Hutch mod on a steel aft axle tank, pre-pump fuel filter, coolant filter, LED rear lights, HPx, front axle rebuild, transfer case replaced, rear (clear 1 piece) window replaced with privacy manual slider
Old 12-22-2012, 12:51 PM
Senior User

dmanshane is starting off with a positive reputation.
na na na boduke01yeehaw na
That's what I figured just wanted to make sure
2000 f350 xlt srw 4x4 6spd manual mods are CCv,harpoon hpx, frx, coolant by pass filter, foil delete, iah delete, Ocv, Garrett 38r turbo ,6637 mod, 4 inch straight turbo back ranch hand front bumper with skid plate, fog lights, ebpv exhaust break, stancore gpr, window switch blue led, heater control blue led, and other cab bulbs blue led, ts 6 position chip... stock, high idle, 50, 75, 100, 140,
Old 12-22-2012, 01:12 PM
Support FTE

PaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputation
Since I'm still running the stock fuel bowl I use this as a pre-pump filter.

Click the image to open in full size.

Also available at Napa.

The fuel line connector at rear of pump is not the typical quick-connect. This is how to remove it from pump.

Don't forget the Harpoon Mod.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:36 PM
Elder User

srteach is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.srteach is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
My 01 and my fathers' 02 were the typical QD spring fittings. Guess it depends on the year.
Darrell, PAA#131

The Blue(ish) Beast. 7.3 manual, 6637 Mod, Hutch mod on a steel aft axle tank, pre-pump fuel filter, coolant filter, LED rear lights, HPx, front axle rebuild, transfer case replaced, rear (clear 1 piece) window replaced with privacy manual slider
Old 12-22-2012, 01:40 PM
I'm a cautionary tale

Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.
It's the quick disconnects that were allowing air into my fuel. When the tank is full, gravity prevents a vacuum in the fuel line. Once the fuel gets low, vacuum can build in the fuel line and Quick Disconnects with O-ring seals... well... suck... at sealing a vacuum - so air gets in. I replaced my fuel line with injector tubing compatable with diesel (if you buy something inexpensive, it's likely going to dissolve and/or collapse) and injector hose clamps (better clamping on hose). Many people believe air is sucking into the fuel pickup tube at 1/4 tank and this may happen sometimes, but my experience showed everything in my tank was fine and the QDs got me. I'm still glad I dropped the tank to do the Harpoon mod, remove the mixing chamber and filters, and divert the return away from the pickup.

I got all fancy with my pre-pump filter, but ultimately went with the filter similar to the one above because my big injectors already tax the fuel system enough... without my sabotage.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:02 PM
Posting Guru

Tailgate77478 has much to be proud ofTailgate77478 has much to be proud ofTailgate77478 has much to be proud ofTailgate77478 has much to be proud ofTailgate77478 has much to be proud ofTailgate77478 has much to be proud ofTailgate77478 has much to be proud ofTailgate77478 has much to be proud ofTailgate77478 has much to be proud of
if you're sucking air at 1/4 tank, you've likely got a broken pickup foot. You can order a new one from either Riff Raff or Diesel Orings. Or, if you do-it-yourself Hutch Mod parts...just buy a long enough steel tube to go down almost to the bottom of your tank. That's what I did...didn't realize the foot was broken until we had it down and open.
HERS: 2000 Excursion PSD Ltd, 4x2, Dark Green, DP Tuner, T500, RR FrX, AutoMeter gauges, AIS w/ Zoodad, ITP HP/X, Walker BTM, Dahl 100, ELC, Coolant Filter, 203 Tstat w Billet Housing, AIH delete, Hellwig swaybar, KYB shocks, Amsoil Bypass / fluids, Hutch Mod
HIS: 2000 Excursion PSD Ltd, 4x2, Chestnut, BTS Tranny, T500, RR FrX, AutoMeter gauges, ELC, Coolant Filter, 203 Tstat w Billet Housing, AIS w/ Zoodad, ITP HP/X, Magnaflow 4" turbo back, WW, AIH delete, KYB shocks, Hellwig swaybar, Melling LPOP, Bellowed Uppipes, Hutch Mod, EBPV Delete
Old 12-22-2012, 06:21 PM
Postmaster

Bonanza35 has a very good reputation on FTE.Bonanza35 has a very good reputation on FTE.Bonanza35 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Aren't you all using 3/8 line to the fuel pump. If so, are you just clamping the line onto the 5/16 inch filter as above? Or am I missing something. I do need to do mine as well. Maybe next tech day so I can get some help. Thanks,

Chet
Old 12-22-2012, 07:21 PM
Postmaster

jeffreyt is a splendid one to beholdjeffreyt is a splendid one to beholdjeffreyt is a splendid one to beholdjeffreyt is a splendid one to beholdjeffreyt is a splendid one to beholdjeffreyt is a splendid one to beholdjeffreyt is a splendid one to behold
The pickup line on the top of the foot is 3/8. The fuel pump is 5/16. There are a couple ways people deal with this. One is to install a barb reducer to size down the hose. Then there is the crowd that double clamp at the tank side of the filter, size down on the pump side to 5/16. Then some who use screw on style filters can use whatever size barb fittings they need for the inlet and outlets. And then I know one guy who used compression barb fittings on the pickup line and pump, so he just got the right size barb and kept that size all the way through.
Jeff- PAA #133Guzzle - Springer Pop -RiffRaffHis-Tex-2002 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 - 257K, RDP boots, plenum inserts, 6637 intake, PHP Hydra, Isspro EV2 gauges, RDS Aux tank, $0.50 mod, CAT ELC, GPR LED, 6.0 trans cooler, 6.0 CAC, RDP billet compressor wheel, OCR, bellowed up pipes, Alto Reds, Recon Triple Clutch Billet Converter, superior shift technology kit
Hers-2011 F-150 Lariat Supercrew 3.5L EcoBoost- 77k
Old 12-22-2012, 08:04 PM
Guns Dont Kill People..

schlepprock250 has a great reputation on FTE.schlepprock250 has a great reputation on FTE.schlepprock250 has a great reputation on FTE.schlepprock250 has a great reputation on FTE.schlepprock250 has a great reputation on FTE.schlepprock250 has a great reputation on FTE.
fordf250guy
I just went with this kit from Strictly Diesel,http://www.strictlydiesel.com/p-2662...-pump-kit.aspx they say you can build a kit yourself from scratch,but I like the one stop shopping thing. If the duck bill cracks like mine did you might run out at a quarter tank. The reason I went into my tank was I was running out of fuel at a quarter tank,and I was having power issues at high RPMs,come to find out my duck bill was cracked,my pick up foot was broken off,and my mixing screens looked like this...
And while I had it all apart..I modded my filler neck so I can fill up using the big nozzles at truckstops...
Phil Late'99 F-250 SuperDuty 4x4 SB CC SRW 7.3 4"TurboBack SS Exhaust(muffled) DP-Tuner:No Start,Stock,High Idle,60Tow,Decel,80Tow,80Econo,120Race,Lope Idle AIH Delete OBA Isspro EV2 Gauges Boost/Trans/Pyro Billet T-Stat Housing(195 Stat) BTS ValveBody Spicer/Custom Driveline(front & rear) ATS Housing HPX FRX Wrapped 6637 6.0 Trans.cooler Bellowed Up Pipes GPR LED Tank Mods Pre Pump Filter Riffraff I/C Boots W/Riffraff Plenum Inserts.50 mod Warn Hubs Firestone Ride Rites B.E.S.T. Map PAA Member # 34
Old 12-23-2012, 07:22 AM
Senior User

Poolguy601 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
If you dont install the small filter on the frame, wont the dirt just get stopped at the filter on the engine. Or are you tring to stop it before it gets to the electric pump.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:00 AM
Postmaster

jeffreyt is a splendid one to beholdjeffreyt is a splendid one to beholdjeffreyt is a splendid one to beholdjeffreyt is a splendid one to beholdjeffreyt is a splendid one to beholdjeffreyt is a splendid one to beholdjeffreyt is a splendid one to behold
Yes, it needs to be stopped before it gets to the pump. Let's back up and clarify. We aren't looking for a "filter," we want a strainer or screen. Just trying to grab the large chunks and particles to keep the pump safe. That is the purpose of the in-tank screens, but they are too difficult to service inside the tank. The second reason we are deleting the in-tank screens is to reroute the return line away from the pickup.
Jeff- PAA #133Guzzle - Springer Pop -RiffRaffHis-Tex-2002 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 - 257K, RDP boots, plenum inserts, 6637 intake, PHP Hydra, Isspro EV2 gauges, RDS Aux tank, $0.50 mod, CAT ELC, GPR LED, 6.0 trans cooler, 6.0 CAC, RDP billet compressor wheel, OCR, bellowed up pipes, Alto Reds, Recon Triple Clutch Billet Converter, superior shift technology kit
Hers-2011 F-150 Lariat Supercrew 3.5L EcoBoost- 77k
Old 12-23-2012, 08:24 AM
Joe28443

Joe28443 has a very good reputation on FTE.Joe28443 has a very good reputation on FTE.Joe28443 has a very good reputation on FTE.Joe28443 has a very good reputation on FTE.
I love this site!!!! The only time I let my ex get down to 1/4 tank I cut off going down the road. Now I know the duck bill is probably cracked. Can't wait to do that mod!
01 2wd 7.3 Ex Lmtd.,Ford AIS, Hawk pads, 04 Headlights, MBRP, FTE resonator, retro-solutions 5k HID's, 50 cent mod ,TRU COOL, RAS, DP Tuner 60E 60T 100P, JWVB, EV2's Boost, Tranny and Pyro. RS9000XL/ Airlift 1000 up front. AMSOIL

303Bhssr springdale (New Toy)
Old 12-23-2012, 11:14 AM
Support FTE

PaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolguy601 View Post
Or are you tring to stop it before it gets to the electric pump.
That's the reason for the pre-pump filter.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:55 AM
Senior User

th67ss is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Is there any advantage or disadvantage to running the screw on type of filter/strainer vs the small type like Paysonpsd posted?

I really need to do this mod and it looks like the smaller type would help in the cost department.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:55 AM