Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-21-2012, 04:31 PM
Senior User

SBFD8 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Idle fluctuation FIXED

I have a 2000 F350 4x4 CC with the 7.3.
Sometimes when it is idling my idle will go up to about 900 then drop to about 5 or 600 then back up to normal idle about 750rpm I have no idea why it does this. I have changed the air filter, oil, fuel filter, and checked for water in the fuel still it does this from time to time. It does it if I am in stock mode or any HP mode. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks Al

Last edited by SBFD8; 12-26-2012 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Fixed It
Old 12-21-2012, 05:12 PM
Ford With Out Tax Money

snakedoc is a splendid one to beholdsnakedoc is a splendid one to beholdsnakedoc is a splendid one to beholdsnakedoc is a splendid one to beholdsnakedoc is a splendid one to beholdsnakedoc is a splendid one to beholdsnakedoc is a splendid one to behold
i might check the ipr nut.
how many miles on the truck?
Matt PAA #117 99.5 F-250 XLT CC SWB 4x4 4R100 Warn M12000 GPR-LED. Foil Delete. 6637. 0.25 Cent. AC. Isspro Dual Pyrometer. AeroForce. FRx. HPx. DIY SS Fuel Lines. 03 HeadLights. 4" SS Exhaust. 6.0L Trans Cooler. BTS Tunes. Custom Lighted Tuner. IH Up Pipes. EPBV Delete. AIH delete. Gooseneck, AE Ford Bundle. Member On RHN
Old 12-21-2012, 05:28 PM
I'm a cautionary tale

Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.
IPR nut, IPR sticking, ICP sensor... these are common issues popping up right about now on this age of truck.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:02 PM
Senior User

idle

I have 262,000 miles I had just replaced the ICP but it was doing this before
and Thank you for the replies.
Al
Old 12-21-2012, 07:24 PM
Elder User

1fixitman has a very good reputation on FTE.1fixitman has a very good reputation on FTE.1fixitman has a very good reputation on FTE.
Dwayne Dotson
If the ICP is new....ish then it sounds like your IPR is STICKING SHUT and HPO pressure is building just briefly enough to send more fuel than desired. Either raising HPO pressure or increasing Pulse width on the injectors briefly will cause it to raise RPM. Are you having any transmission issues? If you have an automatic and the flexplate is cracked.........that is a large stretch so I am going with IPR.
Dwayne
Dwayne Early 1999 F250 2WD Extended cab. 190k B.E.S.T. Map CCV re-route, 50 cent mod, EBPV delete w/ blank pedestal, Resistor installed, 6637 filter w/pete's cover, Used 38R and Intl Up pipes(thanks for the great deal and getting that clamp back on...Jason), billet Plenums, new boots and clamps, AE, Stancor style GPR $38 http://www.aerialequipmentparts.com/...586-105111.htm. Window tint, Hutch and Harpoon mod, Parts on bench: HPOP re-seal kit, ICP, IPR, CPS, FRx, 4 way heater hose valve for cold AC mod, .
Old 12-21-2012, 08:38 PM
I'm a cautionary tale

Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fixitman View Post
If you have an automatic and the flexplate is cracked.........that is a large stretch so I am going with IPR.
Dwayne
Can you tell me more about this? I never heard of this and I don't understand how the flexplate comes into play. Lope? Slow rise and fall on the idle?
Old 12-21-2012, 09:21 PM
Senior User

idle

No trans problems.
It is really strange does not do it all the time but that is actually what happens does not always go as high but will jump a 100 rpm then down then back all happens with in a couple of seconds.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:31 PM
Elder User

1fixitman has a very good reputation on FTE.1fixitman has a very good reputation on FTE.1fixitman has a very good reputation on FTE.
Dwayne Dotson
If the flexplate cracks and lets the transmission loose then the engine will really overspeed. It would be similar to running an engine without a transmission attached. NO LOAD whatsoever. It would be a ten million in one chance that it could happen. Mostly I wanted him to focus on an IPR that has 262K on the clock.

I would have said to look for leaky up pipes but that would lead to less boost and the RPM going low....not high. But he probably does have leaky up pipes....it is just not contributing to the high blip on the idle. Merry Christmas and Happy the World Did not end day LOL.
Dwayne Early 1999 F250 2WD Extended cab. 190k B.E.S.T. Map CCV re-route, 50 cent mod, EBPV delete w/ blank pedestal, Resistor installed, 6637 filter w/pete's cover, Used 38R and Intl Up pipes(thanks for the great deal and getting that clamp back on...Jason), billet Plenums, new boots and clamps, AE, Stancor style GPR $38 http://www.aerialequipmentparts.com/...586-105111.htm. Window tint, Hutch and Harpoon mod, Parts on bench: HPOP re-seal kit, ICP, IPR, CPS, FRx, 4 way heater hose valve for cold AC mod, .
Old 12-22-2012, 04:36 AM
I'm a cautionary tale

Thank you for that, I learned something new.

As for the idle, how many miles on your oil and what type is it? The IPR is new-ish, but a lying Injector Control Pressure sensor can do weird things. Inspect your ICP Sensor, it is in the picture below, just above the "T" on the T-500, near the very top of the photo. Inspect it for leaking oil or a bad/dirty connector. Check the nut on the IPR (straight left of the "T" of the T-500)... that nut is so flimsy it can work its way loose.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:54 PM
Senior User

The icp sensor is new I will check ipr.
Thanks
Old 12-26-2012, 06:24 PM
Senior User

Fixed it

Thanks to all that replied you were right I found the problem.
THE IPR NUT HAD FALLEN OFF SO THE PARTS WERE MOVING.
Put it back on and it is perfect.
I think I am going to replace the IPR just to be safe.
Once again Thanks
Al
Old 12-27-2012, 05:33 AM
I'm a cautionary tale

Congrats! The best-priced fix: Free. IPRs aren't cheap, so that gets replaced only as needed.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:20 AM
The Dr. will see you now!

Christof13T has much to be proud ofChristof13T has much to be proud ofChristof13T has much to be proud ofChristof13T has much to be proud ofChristof13T has much to be proud ofChristof13T has much to be proud ofChristof13T has much to be proud ofChristof13T has much to be proud ofChristof13T has much to be proud ofChristof13T has much to be proud of
christof13t
even then...
a quick teardown and cleaning of the ipr generally clears up sticking issues... easy peasy to do and again... no buckzooka ammo required.

and now is as good a time as any to remind about the passenger side fuel line. its not a bad task if you pull the cac tube from the spider on that side for wiggle room.
its not pretty when that line finally wears through... easier to prevent it than deal with the aftermath of 55-70psi diesel fuel spewing all over your engine compartment.
Chris-PAA#130
Motorbug:2000 F350 Lariat CC,LB,6x6 7.3DIT,4" Turbo-Back, IH Bellowed Uppies, RiffRaff FRx&AIH Delete, Hutch/Harpoon,6637, 05-07facelift, dual cowl induction hood, Glowshift Max Tow gauges, antique BullyDog 1 Toon chip, 10k, Air Lift on rear axle, All the hitches!
420k & counting AE Total Ford Enhanced Bundle
Old 12-27-2012, 07:53 AM
Senior User

Thank you for the info

UOTE=Christof13T;12643063]even then...
a quick teardown and cleaning of the ipr generally clears up sticking issues... easy peasy to do and again... no buckzooka ammo required.

and now is as good a time as any to remind about the passenger side fuel line. its not a bad task if you pull the cac tube from the spider on that side for wiggle room.
its not pretty when that line finally wears through... easier to prevent it than deal with the aftermath of 55-70psi diesel fuel spewing all over your engine compartment.[/quote]
Old 12-27-2012, 12:38 PM
Senior User

fuel

I am not familiar with the passenger side fuel issue can you explain. Thanks
Old 12-27-2012, 12:38 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel