Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-20-2012, 09:01 PM
Senior User

landmobile has a good reputation on FTE.landmobile has a good reputation on FTE.landmobile has a good reputation on FTE.
Exhaust Leak Detector

I've suspected leaking up pipes for a while, but was never 100% sure. It sounded like there was an exhaust leak somewhere, but I only saw a little soot and my boost wasn't terrible (16 psi @ WOT). It was hard to get a good look behind the turbo, and feeling around for exhaust leaks behind a running 7.3 wasn't for me, so I built this:

Click the image to open in full size.

It's basically the same as a boost leak detector, but pressurizes the exhaust system instead. I couldn't find anything in the plumbing aisle at Home Depot that fit my exhaust just right, so I used a neoprene 4 inch to 3 inch soil pipe coupler. The tapered part will seal a tail pipe from about 4 1/4 down to 3 1/2 inches, although it needs a helper to keep the fit tight.

Turns out my passenger side up pipe is leaking like a sieve at the collector, so bellowed pipes will be installed in the near future. The transmission needs to come out for the new flexplate anyway, so I'll probably do them both at the same time.

Chris
Old 12-20-2012, 09:21 PM
Posting Guru

guitarpicr has a good reputation on FTE.guitarpicr has a good reputation on FTE.guitarpicr has a good reputation on FTE.
Nice job on making that - Gotta make myself one of those, just to make sure.
Bill - 02 -F250 Lariet 7.3 PSD- SB -X Cab 2WD - Billet Grill - Alum. Rear diff.- CCV and 6637 w/ Pete cover-Fumoto-Isspro 3 gauge pillar -Tru-cool max - SS HPX - Silverline 4" SS - Hutch & Harpoon-JWVB-EBPV delete-FRX- Rear air bags-32' 5er- Prodigy-ELC- 2006- E-350 - 5.4 Work Van
Old 12-20-2012, 10:29 PM
Ford With Out Tax Money

snakedoc is a splendid one to beholdsnakedoc is a splendid one to beholdsnakedoc is a splendid one to beholdsnakedoc is a splendid one to beholdsnakedoc is a splendid one to beholdsnakedoc is a splendid one to beholdsnakedoc is a splendid one to behold
nice to bad i have a 4" exhaust that is bolted together.
Matt PAA #117 99.5 F-250 XLT CC SWB 4x4 4R100 Warn M12000 GPR-LED. Foil Delete. 6637. 0.25 Cent. AC. Isspro Dual Pyrometer. AeroForce. FRx. HPx. DIY SS Fuel Lines. 03 HeadLights. 4" SS Exhaust. 6.0L Trans Cooler. BTS Tunes. Custom Lighted Tuner. IH Up Pipes. EPBV Delete. AIH delete. Gooseneck, AE Ford Bundle. Member On RHN
Old 12-20-2012, 11:14 PM
Posting Guru

MTDewX is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.MTDewX is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I recently rebuilt the turbo, pedestal with new plenum inserts and boots. I romp on it and its lagging. I know the up pipes are leaking from start up from installing all the new goodies and exhaust flowing.

does the up pipe leak really rob that much power?

I took it out on the free way and romped on it sure took a long time to get up and go. I know its a van so its detuned with a big wind sale on top, but was sad.

up pipes are on the list, but was surprised it sucked that bad.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:51 PM
Elder User

bakerbuilttracks is starting off with a positive reputation.
Chris looks great and excellent thinking. My exhaust is bolt on MBRP i wonder how it would work on that ? I have one clamp after my muff del that i can see a bit of soot around and don't know if the entire system "exhaust turbo back" would leak causing a miss reading. Also id have to get the 6" adapter for my tip lol. I also am suspecting a up pipe leak and am curious if this would work on my bolt on stuff.
BAKERBUILT TRACKS 1999.5 F-250 7.3L SD 4x4, EDGE EVOLUTION MONITOR (for gauges and code reader ), DP-TUNER F6, MBRP 4" TURBO BACK, S&B COLD AIR INTAKE, CCV MOD, WICKED WHEEL, RR IC BOOTS, BD WASTEGATE ACTUATOR, FRx, HPX, IH BELLOWED UP-PIPES, 6.0 TRANS COOLER, 4R100 with (RV T/C, STIFFER ACCUMULATOR SPRINGS, VALVE BODY ), FOIL DELETE, HUTCH and HARPOON, TRAIN HORNS, 35x12.50x20 TOYO A/T II's,
Old 12-21-2012, 06:43 AM
Postmaster

jeffreyt is a splendid one to beholdjeffreyt is a splendid one to beholdjeffreyt is a splendid one to beholdjeffreyt is a splendid one to beholdjeffreyt is a splendid one to beholdjeffreyt is a splendid one to beholdjeffreyt is a splendid one to behold
Guys I'd say if you kept a constant pressure on it, say regulated to 10 psi, then even if you're losing air at the bolt on connections, you can still spray the soapy water at the uppies to see of there's air coming out. I'd say check it cold with soapy water, check it hot by just listening for air (which is tough to do with a compressor running so a big tank would be necessary.)

Great idea on the leak detector though!
Jeff- PAA #133Guzzle - Springer Pop -RiffRaffHis-Tex-2002 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 - 257K, RDP boots, plenum inserts, 6637 intake, PHP Hydra, Isspro EV2 gauges, RDS Aux tank, $0.50 mod, CAT ELC, GPR LED, 6.0 trans cooler, 6.0 CAC, RDP billet compressor wheel, OCR, bellowed up pipes, Alto Reds, Recon Triple Clutch Billet Converter, superior shift technology kit
Hers-2011 F-150 Lariat Supercrew 3.5L EcoBoost- 77k
Old 12-21-2012, 08:37 AM
Elder User

bakerbuilttracks is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreyt View Post
Guys I'd say if you kept a constant pressure on it, say regulated to 10 psi, then even if you're losing air at the bolt on connections, you can still spray the soapy water at the uppies to see of there's air coming out. I'd say check it cold with soapy water, check it hot by just listening for air (which is tough to do with a compressor running so a big tank would be necessary.)

Great idea on the leak detector though!
Jeff, thats what i was thinking keeping steady pressure and using soapy water. Panama City huh thats bout a 1.5 hr trip, nice to see a active member close to me. I think i got 1 other member here in Tallahassee.
BAKERBUILT TRACKS 1999.5 F-250 7.3L SD 4x4, EDGE EVOLUTION MONITOR (for gauges and code reader ), DP-TUNER F6, MBRP 4" TURBO BACK, S&B COLD AIR INTAKE, CCV MOD, WICKED WHEEL, RR IC BOOTS, BD WASTEGATE ACTUATOR, FRx, HPX, IH BELLOWED UP-PIPES, 6.0 TRANS COOLER, 4R100 with (RV T/C, STIFFER ACCUMULATOR SPRINGS, VALVE BODY ), FOIL DELETE, HUTCH and HARPOON, TRAIN HORNS, 35x12.50x20 TOYO A/T II's,
Old 12-21-2012, 09:33 AM
Posting Guru

joeyd61 has a great reputation on FTE.joeyd61 has a great reputation on FTE.joeyd61 has a great reputation on FTE.joeyd61 has a great reputation on FTE.joeyd61 has a great reputation on FTE.
a friend of mine has a smoke machine. Stuck it in one of my stacks stuffed rags around it and in the other stack. Could see every leak and thats with a bolt together exhaust..
2003 F250 LARIAT 7.3PSD,RHN Member,Fresh Forged Rod Motor,BTS trans,6.0 Trans cooler,DP F6 LIVE TUNED ,FF 300/200 Hybrid injectors,Snow Tow Max water/meth,Hi V/F IDM,BW S468 Turbo w/T4 mount,Terminator DUAL HPOP,AFE Stage 2 XP Pro 5R Intake,ISSPRO ev2 Guages,AirDog 150 w/sump,Walbro fuel pump,SD Regulated Return,XRF front end,Red Head steering box,4.56 Yukon gears,6" BDS lift,37" Toyo tires,Armed with Infinity,& on&on&on
Old 12-21-2012, 09:35 AM
Postmaster

jeffreyt is a splendid one to beholdjeffreyt is a splendid one to beholdjeffreyt is a splendid one to beholdjeffreyt is a splendid one to beholdjeffreyt is a splendid one to beholdjeffreyt is a splendid one to beholdjeffreyt is a splendid one to behold
There's myself and AzPete here in PC, and Smokiesman is here till the 1st. Robbragiel will be here a few days in January, and MTalley as well.
Jeff- PAA #133Guzzle - Springer Pop -RiffRaffHis-Tex-2002 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 - 257K, RDP boots, plenum inserts, 6637 intake, PHP Hydra, Isspro EV2 gauges, RDS Aux tank, $0.50 mod, CAT ELC, GPR LED, 6.0 trans cooler, 6.0 CAC, RDP billet compressor wheel, OCR, bellowed up pipes, Alto Reds, Recon Triple Clutch Billet Converter, superior shift technology kit
Hers-2011 F-150 Lariat Supercrew 3.5L EcoBoost- 77k
Old 12-21-2012, 01:28 PM
Senior User

landmobile has a good reputation on FTE.landmobile has a good reputation on FTE.landmobile has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
I'd say check it cold with soapy water, check it hot by just listening for air
I was going to use soapy water at first, but the leak was so bad that it wouldn't hold even a few psi. Fortunately, I could hear the air escaping.

Quote:
a friend of mine has a smoke machine. Stuck it in one of my stacks stuffed rags around it and in the other stack. Could see every leak and thats with a bolt together exhaust
Thought about using a smoke machine as well. We have one in the fire department for training, but using it to fix my truck probably wouldn't be such a great idea.

Quote:
does the up pipe leak really rob that much power?
Don't know for sure how much power I'm losing since the leak has been there since I bought the truck. I'll post how I make out, but probably won't get to it till the first week in January.

Chris
Old 12-21-2012, 03:16 PM
9 ECHO 1

A/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputation
I just use and infrared camera... doesnt everyone?

exhaust manifold:
Click the image to open in full size.
- Trey PAA Member #110
2002 F250 XLT CrewCab Short Bed 4x4 7.3L
My How-To Video Library
SoCal Chapter Member (Join us HERE)
Old 12-21-2012, 06:10 PM
Elder User

srteach is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.srteach is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerbuilttracks View Post
... My exhaust is bolt on MBRP i wonder how it would work on that ? I have one clamp after my muff del that i can see a bit of soot around and don't know if the entire system "exhaust turbo back" would leak causing a miss reading. Also id have to get the 6" adapter for my tip lol. I also am suspecting a up pipe leak and am curious if this would work on my bolt on stuff.
If you have a leak after the turbo, it will not rob power. It will make a mess with the soot, though.
There are no factory pressure sensors after the turbo in the 00-03 models. The only sensor that may be there is an aftermarket EGT probe.
The main power loss issue is header / up-pipes / collector leaking (all pre-turbine). That is the area that drives the compressor side of the turbo. If you lose exhaust there, you get lower boost pressures in the IC pipes (if you have them) and intake.
Darrell, PAA#131

The Blue(ish) Beast. 7.3 manual, 6637 Mod, Hutch mod on a steel aft axle tank, pre-pump fuel filter, coolant filter, LED rear lights, HPx, front axle rebuild, transfer case replaced, rear (clear 1 piece) window replaced with privacy manual slider
Old 12-21-2012, 06:10 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel