1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Wiring a truck questions.

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 01:29 PM
craftsmangary
More Turbo
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
Wiring a truck questions.

I'm going to buy a new aftermarket wire harness for my 56 F100. Now there is a lot of choices out there, brand, number of circuits, and where is test place to mount it. I'm going to run a 4.6 DOHC, A/C, power windows, probably electric fan, electric fuel pump in the tank and put it behind the rear axle. So is there a "better" brand, how many circuits do I need to get? Whats the best place to mount it? behind/under the seat? I know a lot of you guys have already been down this road, so I'm just trying to avoid making a mistakes and want to get it rite the first time. Thanks

Old 12-20-2012, 04:32 PM
shep71804
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6v to 12v

I am also looking to upgrade my 1950 F1 from the 6volt system to a 12volt. Just started looking into it. But i think ill linger and watch your thread to see if i can pick up any advice. Thanks for posting.

Mitch

Old 12-20-2012, 04:53 PM
53FOPAR
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I used the EZ-wire. I think it was 20 or 21 circuits. I didn't need that many, but just saved the extra wires in case I want to add something later. Stuffed the extra wires in the drivers side kick panel. I would order as many circuits as you can and save any extras.

I looked at the Painless, but just couldn't justify the higher price. EZ-wire worked out fine. I did have one question and called their tech support and got a good answer.

I mounted the fuse box under the dash up high, just to the left of steering column.

Old 12-20-2012, 04:58 PM
mytbtruck
Laughing Gas
I used E-Z harness with the all black wires. It was marked very well and I have a lot of extra circuits for future use.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:06 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Originally Posted by mytbtruck
I used E-Z harness with the all black wires. It was marked very well and I have a lot of extra circuits for future use.
Seriously, all black wires?! I can't imagine trying to troubleshoot a system like that!

Old 12-20-2012, 07:06 PM
1930 Dodge
Elder User
I used quick wire and I am very happy with it. Was alot cheaper than painless kits ( for instance ) and I have had it installed for a couple of years. So far the insulation has not fallen off

Old 12-20-2012, 09:47 PM
dmack91
Elder User
Not much help, but I bought a Speedway kit and it is still in the box. Seems well constructed (each wire printed every 6"), came with the headlight switch, etc.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:28 PM
craftsmangary
More Turbo
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
I have seen some kits that each wire is labeled every so many inches and I do like that feature. I have a engine harness for the Mark VIII 4.6 coming from the Detail Zone, they were about the only choice for that. Also I have a steering column from a 91 Econoline with the key and PRND in it, that looks like it would fit??

Old 12-21-2012, 02:01 AM
1930 Dodge
Elder User
Originally Posted by craftsmangary
I have seen some kits that each wire is labeled every so many inches and I do like that feature. I have a engine harness for the Mark VIII 4.6 coming from the Detail Zone, they were about the only choice for that. Also I have a steering column from a 91 Econoline with the key and PRND in it, that looks like it would fit??
My kit is marked every few inches and color coded wires with an easy to understand reference sheet for each color

Old 12-21-2012, 07:43 AM
DR Smith
Fleet Mechanic
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
I have used,Ron Frances,Detail Zone,and EZ wire.All are good quality wire kits,and I would use them again.

Old 12-21-2012, 03:52 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Ron Francis and Painless are very "proud" of their kits (read want $$$$$). They were the first and charge for their name. I like my EZwiring mini 21 circuit kit I mounted my panel under the dash on a quick release bracket so it can be dropped down for trouble shooting if needed. You could mount it in the drivers side kick panel (use modern quick release rivets to hold the panel cover in place), under or behind the seat or even in the glove box, especially if you have one of those shallow glove boxes for AC clearance.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:03 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I used Highway 15 kit, labeled every 6 inches, GM color coded, headlight switch, dimmer switch, ignition switch, heat resistant wires, alternator regulator diode, steering column plug, etc. The instructions leave much to be desired though...

Old 12-21-2012, 07:05 PM
BACAGrizz
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
I used a Rebel harness. Good quality product with multiple colored (and proper gauged wire) labeled every 6 inches. They make several models according to how many circuits you may need. It also came with the plastic headlight connectors w/terminal ends and a fusible link for protection. The price is good too.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:33 PM
Dano78
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by craftsmangary
I'm going to buy a new aftermarket wire harness for my 56 F100. Now there is a lot of choices out there, brand, number of circuits, and where is test place to mount it. I'm going to run a 4.6 DOHC, A/C, power windows, probably electric fan, electric fuel pump in the tank and put it behind the rear axle. So is there a "better" brand, how many circuits do I need to get? Whats the best place to mount it? behind/under the seat? I know a lot of you guys have already been down this road, so I'm just trying to avoid making a mistakes and want to get it rite the first time. Thanks
Firewall is always a great place to mount it. Either up high or make it a drop-down. If you do go tot he firewall, be sure to mount ALL items on your firewall PRIOR to settin in the fuse block. If you dont, you may find you mounted your fuse block in the way of something or even a future upgrade (like adding a firewall brake booster, and such). And be sure to take your time while running the wire.... tidy, neat and clean.

Originally Posted by topmoo
I used Highway 15 kit, labeled every 6 inches, GM color coded, headlight switch, dimmer switch, ignition switch, heat resistant wires, alternator regulator diode, steering column plug, etc. The instructions leave much to be desired though...
This would be an American Autowire kit if I remember correctly, right?
If so, these are great kits.
Little backstory: The fellas that started AAW were actually ex-employees/engineers of Ron Francis. That's why there is a striking resemblance to the Ron Francis kits to the American Autowire kits. Now why they peeled off and started their own company... I cannot remember for sure.

Old 12-22-2012, 11:08 AM
rhopper
Fleet Mechanic

I used an American Autowire kit. I mounted it under the drivers side dash on square tubing that runs the entire width of the cab. The tubing also mounts my A/C unit, and is an easy place to run grounds. The wiring kit had good instructions and the one question I emailed was answered promptly. The price was also alot less that Ron Francis.

Quick Reply: Wiring a truck questions.