Deep snow surprise!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 08:36 PM
akamacgyver
Clueless spectator!
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Deep snow surprise!

I love my truck!

I was up in Steamboat Springs this weekend, and we got some major snowfall. We were headed out to ski Sunday A.M. and I was pre-occupied with a phone call trying to get directions, and I drifted off the road into a ditch two feet full of snow! The first thing going through my mind was "Where in the hell am I going to find a tow truck big enough to drag this beast out of a ditch!" Well, I was sitting close to 45 degrees pitched to the passengers side, with two ladies FREAKING OUT when I tried to roll her out. I was able to get a little back and forth momentum, and I was able to pack some snow rolling back and forth, but every time I tried to turn the wheel I would slide back down into the ditch, so I pulled up as far as I could and put it in reverse. I got up as much momentum as I could, and whipped the wheel to shove the rear out of the ditch and floored it! after the black smoke settled I was sitting at 90 degrees to the roadway with my back tires on the road. At this point I felt pretty good about my chances! I had my back tires on the road, and over a ton of truck sitting over my front tires. I eased onto the throttle and the old girl climbed up and out without even breathing heavy! By this point, quite a crowd had gathered, and I was met with cheers as I drove off to hit the slopes! Yeah I was a bone head for driving into a ditch, but it was good to know that my truck had my back. The rest of the weekend was awesome, she handled great in the snow. I even got to do some 4 wheel drifting going back up the hill to the condo. I bought and built this truck just for this reason, I have not been let down! BTW snow tires have come up frequently lately, and mine did awesome. I am not sure of the brand, but they are a Pep Boys brand that are studdable, but I couldn't imagine needing to do that. They performed brilliantly this weekend, and even today in the snow in Denver. I will post the brand and model when I get a chance.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:34 PM
turtlemann14
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
never hurts to have a set of chains on hand in the winter, just encase.

two ladies huh? O.o maybe next time leave them in charge of directions (oh what am i saying)

Old 12-19-2012, 09:44 PM
akamacgyver
Clueless spectator!
two ladies huh? O.o maybe next time leave them in charge of directions (oh what am i saying)
LMFAO,

I got the phone after listening to one of them say "What? Where? Traffic circle??? Next thing I knew, I was in a ditch. Still my fault, but seven girls wouldn't have been a help! 1 guy??? Maybe! FWIW it was snowing like hell! After the fact, chains wouldn't have been an option. It would have been impossible to get them on. Fact of the matter is, I am so much more confident of this truck after this incident, chains would be to pull the snow plow blocking the road in front of me out of my way!

Old 12-19-2012, 09:48 PM
kc0stp
Senior User
Just out of curiosity how much snow did they end up getting up there? Debating taking the sportscar up for the weekend since Denver got next to nothing for snow.

Getting back on topic (slightly) Grats on getting succesfully unstuck Ive stopped counting how many abandoned vehicles I find in the ditch driving through the mountains (if they wernt abandonded Id actully help get them out but seems Im always to late...)

Old 12-19-2012, 09:55 PM
akamacgyver
Clueless spectator!
Over the weekend, I would say first hand, that they received 12 to 16 inches, but the reports say several feet since then. Roads over rabbit ears were dicey at best on Sunday night, and if they really got the two feet they report since then, I would not be caught in a sports car over that pass. Check the road conditions before you go. Where are you at? I still have 4 days at Steamboat on my pass, and my truck will get us there!

Old 12-19-2012, 10:41 PM
kc0stp
Senior User
Aurora was thinking of just hitting some windy roads and enjoying the scenery, once the snow stops the plows do a pretty good job up there and since I have all next week off... Either that or wait untill next week when my truck should be back up and running and just take a long test drive (although I need to take it somewhere to get timed first)

Oh and for the curious my little sports car is a lot more capable in the snow then most give it credit for so far the record is 2ft of fresh snow before the plows got out

Old 12-19-2012, 10:48 PM
akamacgyver
Clueless spectator!
I'm in Aurora too, for now. I have timing equipment. What do you need to do? I have a Feret and light. I'm pretty good at the basic stuff. I don't have a garage right now though.

Old 12-19-2012, 11:19 PM
kc0stp
Senior User
First and foremost I need to finsh getting the flatbed mounted complete with filler necks so I can put enough fuel in to drive more then a mile (tank sprung a leak when I took the old bed off) then just a few minor little things (mount/wire boost gauge, finsh attaching tranny temp sensor) and then just test drive to get the rest of the air out of the hard lines. And Im right there with you for the garage bit, working in the driveway with a trailer 1' to the right and house 1' to the left. Figure Ill mount the bed then see if anyone local has the time and good news is with the forecast by Saturday Ill have a nice dry driveway to work in

Old 12-19-2012, 11:28 PM
akamacgyver
Clueless spectator!
Right on,

I don't know much about the bed and tank situation, but when your ready to time it brother, I'll hook you up. Literally 30 minutes start to finish. PM me with a phone number. I'm not excited about working in the snow. We'll need to wait for a sunny day. I just moved back here from a world tour, and I'm all about the skiing right now. I'll be at "The Jane" all weekend.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:22 AM
Onus
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love driving in the snow with my idi. Mind you mine is 2wd. But, it does have snow's on the back. It does damn respectable i must say. I did get to do a few donuts last year in my friends driveway. Non on the road.

Now we just need to get some freaking snow.

Old 12-23-2012, 05:30 AM
rotaryboots
New User
Mine never ceases to amaze me on snow here in MT as yours did in CO.

Old 12-23-2012, 09:52 AM
Greg5OH
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
do you guys carry weight? How much?
im putting on a scrap cage on my truck, about 200lbs, but thats spread through whole bed. Thinking 500lbs of sand behind the rear axel?

Old 12-24-2012, 06:34 PM
akamacgyver
Clueless spectator!
My experience was with my truck completely empty except a cross bed tool box and a headache rack, three people and two sets of skiis.