Notices
2009 - 2014 F150 Discuss the 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Can traction control be Turned totally off?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 04:13 PM
79f250-523
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can traction control be Turned totally off?

I have a 11 f150 with a 5.0 can I Disable the traction control? All I can do now is turn it off on the dash and it kicks back in at 20mphish and it absolutely sucks in snow! Other than pulling a fuse do I have any other options?

Old 12-19-2012, 04:54 PM
Hunt89
Senior User
If you find a way to do that and alow the e-locker to stay ingaged untill I turn it off please let me know because it drives me crazy when I get into really lose sand at the beach. Its hard to keep momentum when the truck apply's the breaks for you and bogs the motor down . If you put it in 4low I believe it stays off untill you take it out of 4low. I would rather keep my truck in 4 high though.

Old 12-19-2012, 05:42 PM
03 SVT VERT
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you hold the button down for at least 5 seconds it will disable RSC/ESC/TCS up to 35mph. After 35 mph RSC and ESC will re-engage, but traction control does not re-engage fully. It will be significantly less invasive.

I agree that it's stupid you can't disable it completely and permanently (or at least until the vehicle is shut off and turned back on). I've owned plenty of other vehicles that have both traction control and stability control and they all let me disable it completely when I deem it neccisary.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:09 AM
04XLTRUNNER
Posting Guru
If yall think the traction control is to invasive on a 2011-2012, dont try it in an 09. I hated the system in my old truck. You could turn it off but after 20mph it came back on and stayed on. Wouldnt go back off if you slowed back down. Atleast the newer system will turn it back off under the certian speed. To bypass the e-lock lock in it at slow speed and if your spinning and reach the speed when it bog the motor down just unlock while still going. It will stay locked as long as you dont let off the gas. We used to do this to get some good 1st-2nd gear burnouts.

Check out this video of my brother.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:54 AM
Jimbits78
Freshman User
My truck did it for me without me asking!!! The other day I come out to start it and my TC light is on and my ABS light. I've checked and I no longer have ABS or TC whatsoever.

Kinda nice to finally not have that damn TC but not having ABS sucks. Will be going into the shop after the holidays to get fixed up.

I agree that Ford should have made a way to switch it off completely regardless of speed. I've been stuck in a snow drift numerous times and could not get the wheel speed I needed to rock it out in 4WD. By the time you do get out the truck smells of burning brakes and plastic.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:05 PM
gDMJoe
Laughing Gas
Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
Excerpted from the owner's manual .....

------------------------------

-click- the pic'
Goth 150
< This space intentionally -blank- >

Old 01-03-2013, 09:26 AM
Hunt89
Senior User
Originally Posted by 04XLTRUNNER
If yall think the traction control is to invasive on a 2011-2012, dont try it in an 09. I hated the system in my old truck. You could turn it off but after 20mph it came back on and stayed on. Wouldnt go back off if you slowed back down. Atleast the newer system will turn it back off under the certian speed. To bypass the e-lock lock in it at slow speed and if your spinning and reach the speed when it bog the motor down just unlock while still going. It will stay locked as long as you dont let off the gas. We used to do this to get some good 1st-2nd gear burnouts.

Check out this video of my brother.
2012 f150 5.0 burnout - YouTube
That is good to know about the E-locker. Im wondering if there is a mod you can do like the wire mod on the earlyer model toyotas.

Originally Posted by gDMJoe
Excerpted from the owner's manual .....

------------------------------

-click- the pic'
Goth 150
< This space intentionally -blank- >
Yes I've read that section a lot trying to see if you can permanently turn it off. The truck will also has that in there under the 4wheel drive section on the computer.

Old 02-09-2014, 07:35 PM
79mustang351w
Freshman User
So after reading these forums since the day I got my truck till now...nobody has found a way to turn traction control off for good?? Like I dont care it if voids my extended service plan at this point, or the stupid traction control NEVER WORKS again. Just tell me how fellas. I thought there was some switch mod (toggle switch) to turn it on and off without coming back on at 35mph wheel speed. I have the Raptor switch and module already. I just want my 09' F150 FX4 to quit being such a sissy truck in the snow. I have got buried in my own driveway drift a few times...and even in 4 low...couldnt get much going because stupid TC come back on to **** my day up. Tired of digging a 4x4 truck out with a shovel....its embarrasing. Makes me miss my 04' F250...now that was a real truck!!

Old 09-21-2014, 04:38 PM
Fuznuts86
New User
How to turn traction control off.

Much like you guys I want to control my truck without it controlling itself at certain times. So I came up with this mod for my 2014 stx. I bought it with 5.0 and a 3:73 elocker for a reason and that is to have fun. So after I followed the manual and held down the button for 5 secs and locked the diff for a burn out I noticed the engine would cut out at 3000rpm. Also it would not allow me to do a full 360 without trying to fix itself.

Here is how you fix that problem.

Under the hood is the fuse box and in the box find fuse 36. It is a 30amp fuse. Pull it! Next find some flagged .250 faston terminals and some 12gauge wire to plug into the blades of where the fuse was. Run the wires out of the opening at the fuse box on the passenger side. The flagged style fastons are used to allow the lid to still close. Add a inline fuse which you can buy pretty much anywhere rated for 30amps and get a aux fog light relay which should be rated for 35amps. The little black ones at autozone. Then run the relay with a switch inside the cab so you can turn it on and off as you please. Basic wiring skills needed lol.

What this fuse does is controls the wheel speed sensors. Doing this mod to a GM normally causes a code but with good old ford that isn't a problem for you can turn it on and off as needed.

So yes, this mod with a flip of a switch will disable ABS, Traction Control, Elocker, and 4wd.

If you pull the fuse itself you can not switch into 4wd low at all and if your moving you can not go into 4wd high either. But if you turn the switch on and engage 4wd in either modes it will stay locked in when you turn it back off. Same with the elocker. As stated before as long as you stay on the gas the locker can not disengage.

I did this mod the first week of owning my truck ever since I turned off traction control and still got stuck in my front yard and it wouldn't let me rock it out because after 35mph of wheel speed spinning it turns on and cuts the power out. So once I got it moving it died. After pulling the fuse to get the truck out of the mud hole I did the mod so next time I wouldn't need to get out of the truck lol.

Aside from all of this. Yes the 5.0 has lots of power in fact it can pitch the truck sideways down a dirt road in 3rd gear and throw a good amount of rocks in 2nd gear . The truck can really come alive without doing any reprograming. Just doing what I believe good old ford intended you to do. Do your research. Traction Control is the governments form of limiting freedom. Ford like most people added it because they had too. Not because its needed. Proved this because of this very easy and friendly mod which throws no codes. Also remember to unplug the wires and tie them off and replace the fuse when you go into the shop for warranty work. Don't flip the switch 30secs before you plan on crashing either with that lovely event data recording.

Old 09-22-2014, 01:36 AM
tvsjr
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Disabling traction control is one thing. Advocating disabling the wheel speed sensors, which disables ABS and probably affects Auto-4WD (for trucks so equipped) is a Bad Idea. It's been proven over and over that ABS handily outperforms even the most skilled of drivers in a non-ABS vehicle.

Traction control is a different animal. For the average motorist, who sees their vehicle as a method to get to work and nothing more, the TC will keep them out of trouble. For those of us who know our vehicles and get into abnormal situations, disabling it can be useful.

And, speaking as a pretty hardcore libertarian, it's very hard to see that ABS and TC is "teh gubmints takin muh FREEDUMZ."

Old 09-22-2014, 08:21 AM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 437 Likes on 322 Posts
Agree, I wouldn't reccomend that anyone disable the stability control for "normal" driving. It's an amazing technology and it does save lives.

Old 09-22-2014, 08:51 AM
Fuznuts86
New User
That is why there is the switch. Turn it in for normal driving to and from work and turn it off for play time.

Old 09-22-2014, 09:20 AM
Fuznuts86
New User
All over the internet people are asking how to do it so I explained it as easy as I could have. Do what you do with the information. But when I drive everywhere on the road the switch is always on. Doesn't effect anything. But when I'm playing in the dirt or doing something I shouldnt be doing then its turned off. That's all I'm saying. Besides when your having fun out back do you honestly need abs or tc? I don't think it will save you.

Old 09-22-2014, 10:36 AM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 437 Likes on 322 Posts
Fuz, it appears you've thought this through. However, I'm not sure everyone out there will put that level of thought into it. I'd just hate to help anyone win a darwin award.

Old 09-23-2014, 03:15 PM
er243
Junior User
Originally Posted by 79f250-523
I have a 11 f150 with a 5.0 can I Disable the traction control? All I can do now is turn it off on the dash and it kicks back in at 20mphish and it absolutely sucks in snow! Other than pulling a fuse do I have any other options?

My experience was totally opposite. Aprox. 12" of hard packed snow over frozen dirt, TC off and she would spin out and sink through the snow, stuck.
TC on and the truck would float on top of the snow and keep going.

It does suck for doing donuts and fishtailing around corners, fortunately those are not one of my priorities.