Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

My 1979 F-250 4x4 build

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 11:58 AM
NW 150
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wouldn't waste my money on one of those mufflers. The internal x-pipe isn't designed well and won't work as well as a separate x-pipe. Magnaflow and Flowtech both make good smooth bent pieces.

Old 08-20-2014, 11:31 AM
fordcrzymike
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Not much of a update here. Sadly I have not had much time to spend with the 79. I have started grad school, started teaching my class as a TA, and also have been working when I can get away from the school. I did find time to pick up some used wheels and tires. The tires are just some all season Hankooks with only about 40% tread. The Toyos I have now are pretty shot and VERY dry rotted. I don't trust them on the road, so these used tires should keep me going for a while until I can afford my lift with new wheels and tires. The tires are mounted on some aluminum wheels from a early 90s F-250/350. They look like they might be factory Ford Alcoas of some sort, but they are not the same as the Alcoas they put on the OBS trucks. Maybe someone here knows exactly what they are? Anyway, the rims are in decent shape other than some oxidation under some of the clear coat. I might try to refurbish them. Not bad for $300 though.

Old 09-01-2014, 04:39 PM
fordcrzymike
Elder User
Had my starter solenoid go back this week. I replaced it and decided to take the truck out back on the farm. It was the first time I've done any sort of "off roading" with it in years. It handled everything great. I had to use 4x4 once and was pleased at how well everything shifted in and out.

On a more negative note: I found out that two of the used wheels I bought are different than the other two. Two are factory Ford, while the other two are unknown. They look slightly different. but the biggest problem is that two wheels use the flat style lug while the other two wheels use the conical tapered style lug... This is why i'm always leery buying things off craigslist. I probably would have noticed, but two of the wheels were mounted on a truck when I bought them while the other two wheels were not mounted. Oh well, some new lugs should solve the problem.

Old 09-01-2014, 05:32 PM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Good deal on everything shifting great. Not so good on the lug nut thing...

Post some pics of the wheels & lug holes, the collective group may have some answers.

Old 09-01-2014, 06:49 PM
fordcrzymike
Elder User
As of right now these are the best photos I have. I can try to get better pictures this weekend.

Ford Wheels:

Unknown Wheel:

Old 09-01-2014, 08:15 PM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
The second pic is a factory wheel off of a Super Duty. They take a flat styled lug nut, are hub centric and are the wrong bolt pattern. They are metric as well, 8x170mm (8x6.692").

Your lugs fit because the wheel is cut for a 14mm lug stud and your truck has 1/2" lug studs. Your studs probably sit a little low in the holes.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:10 AM
fordcrzymike
Elder User
That's what I was afraid of. Looks like the guy kinda screwed me. I should have checked them out better before I bought them..

Oh well, I'll figure something out. Worst case scenario I just un-mount the tires and mount the on my factory steel wheels.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:39 AM
fordcrzymike
Elder User
Well I broke out the calipers and just confirmed what I already knew. The other set of rims were off of a superduty and were not going to work on my truck. Looks like that guy screwed me pretty good. I ended up going to my local pick and pull yard and bought two more OBS wheels to match the two I already had. I traded him the two superduty wheels and he cut me a little bit of a deal on the OBS wheels. So now I have a matching set. I got them on the truck and took a picture in the dark (which didn't turn out too great) but you get the idea. I definitely liked the stance of my 285 Toyos better, but the dry rot on them concerned me a lot. I trust these wheels on the road a lot more. It looks a lot more like a street truck now.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:25 AM
fordcrzymike
Elder User
Here's a better picture of the OBS wheels. I think they look pretty good. I just wish the tires were bigger... I was used to seeing the 285/70/16 Toyo MTs on there. At least these tires aren't weather cracked, so I don't have to worry about a potential blow out...

Old 09-08-2014, 12:32 PM
61steven
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just some input on the muffler choice.. Last week I ordered two of Summit Racing's Street and Strip mufflers. Supposedly they are a carbon copy of Flowmasters original 40 series. They came in aluminized grey and seem to be of very high quality. Very heavy sheet metal and clean welds. I will have a report on the sound later on this week once my header collectors get welded on. So far I am extremely impressed with a $30, house brand muffler.

Sucks to hear you had trouble with the wheels, but at least you have a set of matching wheels with safe rubber.

Old 09-08-2014, 04:53 PM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
http://m.ebay.com/itm/271544247488?nav=SEARCH
To ensure you engage enough threads on the lug studs, I would recommend this style of lug nut because they reach into the lug hole on the wheel.

I was running the same lugs and wheels on my 76 F250 as well.

Old 09-09-2014, 11:22 AM
fordcrzymike
Elder User
Originally Posted by 61steven
Just some input on the muffler choice.. Last week I ordered two of Summit Racing's Street and Strip mufflers. Supposedly they are a carbon copy of Flowmasters original 40 series. They came in aluminized grey and seem to be of very high quality. Very heavy sheet metal and clean welds. I will have a report on the sound later on this week once my header collectors get welded on. So far I am extremely impressed with a $30, house brand muffler.
I think I'll give them a try. Money is tight right now, so I can't beat that price. I've heard pretty good things about them.

Old 10-05-2014, 10:28 AM
fordcrzymike
Elder User
Finally got the exhaust done on the truck. I ended up doing true duals with two VX series mufflers (flowmaster knock offs). I did Flowtech long tube headers reduced to 2.5" pipe back to the two VX mufflers then 45'd behind the rear tires into two 3.5" stainless steel tips. So far I am thrilled with the sound. Good deep rumble at idle and very little drone in the cab. Once you really get on the gas they start to sing. I like the sound way better then the system I have on my 97. My 97 is similar but has two flowpro V-Force mufflers.

Here's a picture after we picked it up from the exhaust shop. For those of you have been following the thread, the white 76 should look familiar. It's the 76 F-250 CS my uncle bought right before he sold the 79 to me. That 460/C6 didn't even notice there was a load behind it.

The rear exiting exhaust. I'll try to get better pictures soon.

Old 10-05-2014, 05:43 PM
NW 150
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Time for a video!!

Old 10-06-2014, 11:44 PM
fordcrzymike
Elder User
I have a short video that I will try to post soon!

Quick Reply: My 1979 F-250 4x4 build