6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

H&S Tuners and EGR

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 07:35 PM
sd convert
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stankey first off congrats on upgrading, I myself have been running H&S for two years now .Tryed all tunes and myself have prefer running easy tunes for 1 year now. I find. this the best for my ALL ROUND driving. I am not hauling the weight you are,but 12,000lbs bumber hitch. Best fuel Temp and power. If I want to turn it up HOT. No Troubles 170,000 miles so far!!!! Hope it continues. Sad thought to here that they are bowing to the EPA.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:41 PM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by StanleyZ
Hmmmmmm. My manual on page 42 says "When running H & S DPF REMOVED tuning, it is not required to un plug or block off the EGR system on your 6.4L Powerstroke to disable it. The EGR system is already disabled in the tuning and will not function under any conditions." That seems pretty plain to me but I'd rather it be what you said so I'm gonna go do some research.
Wow, guess I need new glasses!! But that's ok with me, just what I wanted anyways.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:47 PM
sd convert
Junior User
It cycles occasionaly. Who cares it should be disabled And removed altogether. It messes with my antifreeze levels up and down.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:55 PM
asweetroy
New User
good to know for reference

Old 12-19-2012, 08:10 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by sd convert
It cycles occasionaly. Who cares it should be disabled And removed altogether. It messes with my antifreeze levels up and down.
How does it mess with coolant level?

Old 12-19-2012, 08:12 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by bubbasz1
Wow, guess I need new glasses!! But that's ok with me, just what I wanted anyways.
I wonder if maybe it was the way you say and then revised in a later program? My stuff is brand new. my book was revised on 11-05-12. Can't be much more up to date than that.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:26 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Stankey first off congrats on upgrading, I myself have been running H&S for two years now .Tryed all tunes and myself have prefer running easy tunes for 1 year now. I find. this the best for my ALL ROUND driving. I am not hauling the weight you are,but 12,000lbs bumber hitch. Best fuel Temp and power. If I want to turn it up HOT. No Troubles 170,000 miles so far!!!! Hope it continues. Sad thought to here that they are bowing to the EPA.
I was on Easy and thought I'd try Mild so I could play with the tranny a bit. I am assuming (which is usually a bad idea) that "no power" in both easy and mild tunes is the same. But, you can be sure when I start towing I'll go where it keeps the tranny the coolest. And I will for sure tow near as possible to stock. The Edge didn't give me that option and didn't let me do anything with the tranny, nor did it do anything with the tranny. So, I moved up. Besides, probably a good investment. As more and more of these trucks come off warranty and fewer and fewer tuners are on the market they should get pricey. I thought about buying a couple dozen and putting them under the bed. But if I did somebody would open a factory in mexico and be selling them for $19.99 on ebay with free shipping. Know what I mean? BTW, 170,000 is good mileage for a 6.4L. I'm starting to see more and more up around the 200,000 mark. When I see them I always wonder if they were deleted or stock. All that oil dilution would have to take a toll in 200,000 miles. Even the EPA reports say it will.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:37 PM
sd convert
Junior User
I believe that you have he latest tune,it has been my experience that the coolent level seems low then next I look it is ubove the "full" level, then later it is fine. I think that this is when it cycles the egr. No worries. If it cycles up and down a little every few days do not stress, it always seems to balance out. I change my rad fluid every 30,000 miles, I think that these are amazing motors. More power than any human needs.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:52 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
I believe that you have he latest tune,it has been my experience that the coolent level seems low then next I look it is ubove the "full" level, then later it is fine. I think that this is when it cycles the egr. No worries. If it cycles up and down a little every few days do not stress, it always seems to balance out. I change my rad fluid every 30,000 miles, I think that these are amazing motors. More power than any human needs.
That's interesting about the coolant. I was losing just a very little at long intervals. I mean like 4 ounces in 5,000 miles. I tested and had a bad cap. Don't know if the problem is corrected yet or not but I left the pressure on for hours and it held. You might consider the small rises and falls in coolant level is due to temperature outside. I'm a warm weather guy and got up one morning in Tunica Mississippi and coolant was down to bottom of full cold area. So, I added to bring it up to top line. Two days later I check it and it's way over the top line. had me snowed for a while then I did some reading and remembered that the temperature was like 30 degrees that morning in Tunica. So, I drained back down to the line and everything was all good.