1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

'78 F-150 4x4 Death Wobble after hitting a pothole, what might be the cause?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 03:43 PM
FordMaverickFan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'78 F-150 4x4 Death Wobble after hitting a pothole, what might be the cause?

So comming home from school today, I was going about 40 when I underestimated a pothole in the road. Immediatley after hitting it, the entire front end of my truck began to shake. I slowed down and pulled into the turn lane, threw my hazards on and got out to check if everything was okay. I didn't see any parts in my rearview. After that I picked up speed again and the truck was fine. I can go over 55 without any wobble. All the front steering components are firm in position.

I do have a bit of play in the steering wheel and in this play, the axle moves before the wheels turn. This leads me to believe I need a new track bar or bushings atleast. It might not be a bad idea to replace the old steering stabilizer either...

What do you guys think is my issue? It was extremely unpleasant and I don't want to go through it again...

Thanks,
Steven

Old 12-18-2012, 03:59 PM
duallyhauler
Senior User
Definately trackbar bushings and check the stabilizer shock. The road test and see if any problems still exist. Sometimes lifted trucks will get the death wobble cause of uneven tire wear, but you are on the right track.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:29 PM
FordMaverickFan
Senior User
Think it's just the bushings or should I buy a new track bar itself? All I've done in terms of a lift is levelling coils on the front to bring the nose up a tad...

Old 12-18-2012, 06:56 PM
Roger Carter
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Fresh shocks and bushings may tend to hide the problem, but they won't cure it.
Typically the wobble is caused by worn steering components. You have already addressed that by saying there is play in the steering wheel and the axle moves before the wheels turn. If the steering linkage is moving the wheels should be turning. Period.
On our "old" trucks it is not uncommon to find worn pieces, and systems will work with some wear in the moving parts. However, sometimes we find that no single piece is "out of spec" but the entire assembly might be out of spec since the assembly allowable limits are less (or more) than the combined individual limits.
I would suggest checking the entire steering system, gearbox, drag link, tie rod ends, king pins or ball joints, wheel bearings, etc. Replace any parts with noticeable wear and have the front end aligned. My guess is the wobble will be gone.

Good luck.

Roger Carter

Old 12-18-2012, 07:12 PM
FordMaverickFan
Senior User
Originally Posted by Roger Carter
Fresh shocks and bushings may tend to hide the problem, but they won't cure it.
Typically the wobble is caused by worn steering components. You have already addressed that by saying there is play in the steering wheel and the axle moves before the wheels turn. If the steering linkage is moving the wheels should be turning. Period.
On our "old" trucks it is not uncommon to find worn pieces, and systems will work with some wear in the moving parts. However, sometimes we find that no single piece is "out of spec" but the entire assembly might be out of spec since the assembly allowable limits are less (or more) than the combined individual limits.
I would suggest checking the entire steering system, gearbox, drag link, tie rod ends, king pins or ball joints, wheel bearings, etc. Replace any parts with noticeable wear and have the front end aligned. My guess is the wobble will be gone.

Good luck.

Roger Carter
Thanks, the box is new, drag link, tie rods, ball joints, and bearings are not, I'm thinking it is the track bar however, I believe it is what is causing movement from the axle before the tires turn...

Old 12-18-2012, 08:14 PM
nine inch rear
Senior User
I vote for the track bar too. Mine did the same thing. Throw some polly bushings in it

Old 12-18-2012, 08:20 PM
spikinfool05
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
brothers 150 did this also new track bar bushings fixed it. might be a good idea while your under there just to give things a good once over. every year before winter i jack my 78 250 up put jack stand under the frame rails and give everything a good once over. granted i am a lot harder on my truck then most people.

Old 12-19-2012, 12:59 PM
Nod
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Death Wobble?

FordMaverickFan, I bought my 71 F-100 4x4 and when I started driving it the death wobble started, usually between 40 mph and 55 mph. I replaced everything that you have and then some and it helped a little but the death wobble started happening above 55 mph. I finally put a floor jack under the front diff and had my Daughter jack it up slowly. What I saw was the diff rising up and the driver side wheel stayed on the ground as the axle tube to diff weld had broken so the axle tube was moving up and down after it was sent in motion due to a bump or hole when driving and it would keep going up and down until I slowed down. I measured the free movement of the driver side axle(Dana 30) tube and found it to be at least a full 4" swing from top to bottom of free movement. A rebuilt HD Dana 44 replacement axle completely solved my death wobble. Hope your fix is less costly.

"bowties in the rearview mirror"

Old 12-19-2012, 01:04 PM
vic_v8
Elder User
now is a good time to check all the steering components, and don't for get the ball joints, they can give death wobble.

Old 12-19-2012, 05:58 PM
FordMaverickFan
Senior User
Welp, I bought a steering stabilizer and a trac-bar.

Adjustable Trac Bar

Hope this will work...