1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

rough idle and truck dies

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 09:11 AM
95schauf
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rough idle and truck dies

My truck has been idling pretty rough for awhile now and at times when I let of the throttle it will die. It doesnt do it all the time but sometimes when I start it back up it has a real choppy idle and wont hardly run. The truck runs and pulls fine once it is going and then when I stop and idle it will idle just fine and then all the sudden get choppy and then go back to fine. I have a pretty good fuel leak that has been going on for awhile and I am wondering if it is fuel related. Maybe not getting enough fuel or possibly sucking air. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 12-17-2012, 11:04 AM
Ford4Life7.3
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Could be, but it also sounds just like when my ICP sensor was bad. Pull the plug out of the ICp sensor and see if theres any oil in the plug.

Old 12-17-2012, 12:17 PM
ProjectDually
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 95schauf
My truck has been idling pretty rough for awhile now and at times when I let of the throttle it will die. It doesnt do it all the time but sometimes when I start it back up it has a real choppy idle and wont hardly run. The truck runs and pulls fine once it is going and then when I stop and idle it will idle just fine and then all the sudden get choppy and then go back to fine. I have a pretty good fuel leak that has been going on for awhile and I am wondering if it is fuel related. Maybe not getting enough fuel or possibly sucking air. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
I just had the same problem last night, turns out, the dump gate was stuck open, a little WD40, and viola, she could have just been starving for more air.. Also, I used some diesel 911, as it's been super cold, and the truck was sitting for a few days without being run, un gelled the fuel, but might have also cleaned up an injector. Now she idles just fine, and isn't being rough at all. hope this gives you a few more ideas.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:21 PM
rodneywar
Postmaster
what is a dump gate if you are talking about a waste gate our trucks dont have em and if you were refering to the valve in the turbo thats the ebpv and it is supposed to be normally open

Old 12-17-2012, 11:49 PM
ProjectDually
Postmaster
Originally Posted by rodneywar
what is a dump gate if you are talking about a waste gate our trucks dont have em and if you were refering to the valve in the turbo thats the ebpv and it is supposed to be normally open
Ah, yep. That's what I meant. I didn't know the term for it, so I just called it a dump gate, because that's what it looked like it did...

Well sometimes I'll have a raspy sound, like a swish swish really fast, and it goes away when I gun the truck a bit, but then comes back after normal idle is achieved, I've noticed boost loss, and sometimes loss of power, and recently found a crack in the turbine housing, which explains a bunch too(turbo farting at around 2-3k RPM, but I hope exhaust tape can fix that in the meantime, until I have saved up for a new housing and or new turbo.

Would it be reasonable to say I could get better boost and HP out of an aftermarket with a wastegate and DV? Or just rebuild the existing turbo and upgrade the internals? Still new to turbo's, it's only the second vehicle I've owned with one, and the last blew a head gasket before I could do any tinkering.

Old 12-18-2012, 12:41 AM
Ford4Life7.3
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by ProjectDually
Ah, yep. That's what I meant. I didn't know the term for it, so I just called it a dump gate, because that's what it looked like it did...

Well sometimes I'll have a raspy sound, like a swish swish really fast, and it goes away when I gun the truck a bit, but then comes back after normal idle is achieved, I've noticed boost loss, and sometimes loss of power, and recently found a crack in the turbine housing, which explains a bunch too(turbo farting at around 2-3k RPM, but I hope exhaust tape can fix that in the meantime, until I have saved up for a new housing and or new turbo.

Would it be reasonable to say I could get better boost and HP out of an aftermarket with a wastegate and DV? Or just rebuild the existing turbo and upgrade the internals? Still new to turbo's, it's only the second vehicle I've owned with one, and the last blew a head gasket before I could do any tinkering.
The things your describing is what the EBPV is supposed to do. The PCM takes readings from the IAT sensor and EOT sensors and closes the EBPV in an attempt to speed the warm up process. It makes a wooshing sound, similar to a jet engine, and will cause low power when its engaged. Many people do delete it. You will not get any more boost without more fuel. Fuel+air= power (more or less). And a wastegate on a stock truck is pointless. Most never run a waste gate on our rigs, even with stage 2 and 3 injectors.

Old 12-18-2012, 12:44 AM
Ford4Life7.3
Posting Guru

But i should say, thats because head studs are used.

Old 12-18-2012, 07:42 AM
95schauf
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so I checked the plug on the icp sensor and there was a little bit of oil in the plug. I was also told by the local international dealer that maybe it could be the ipr. I was wondering what your thoughts on that were. Thanks again for the help.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:06 AM
ProjectDually
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Ford4Life7.3
The things your describing is what the EBPV is supposed to do. The PCM takes readings from the IAT sensor and EOT sensors and closes the EBPV in an attempt to speed the warm up process. It makes a wooshing sound, similar to a jet engine, and will cause low power when its engaged. Many people do delete it. You will not get any more boost without more fuel. Fuel+air= power (more or less). And a wastegate on a stock truck is pointless. Most never run a waste gate on our rigs, even with stage 2 and 3 injectors.

Well I know a few here are doing it, and are/have gone to electric fuel pumps, injection, would that make a difference? Well the truck did sit for almost a year, my buddy and I drove it hard last night down some pretty bumpy roads, and it seems to be working, and doing what it should be. still won't fix the crack there though, that could be why I'm getting boost surge, and major power loss.(is a 1k drop in RPMS normal for shifting up on these trucks)? more on that later though, I wanted to check my fuel pressure, but we couldn't find the fitting to plug the test kit into and see if it could be a fouled injector that needs a good scrub.

So basically rebuild the turbo to allow for an increase of Air intake and bigger injectors will yield safe boost gains in the stock garret?

Too bad for cash for clunkers, it's hard to find parts now too.