Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

got a real stumper on a 95 302

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 05:50 PM
insane_goofball
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dig the lettering for 5.0 on ur intake. Looks good. If i knew how to add a picture
... i can send you one of my 95 that has a whole lotta nothin there. Lol

Old 12-20-2012, 05:52 PM
timbersteel
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Wild idea here.. Try checking for 5volt reference from either the TPS or EVP. I'm unsure what other sensors have 5 volt. If your voltage is below spec, I would suspect bad caps inside the ECM. Also, a faulty alternator will present the same problems. I would have it checked to ensure there are no bad diodes. The alt could be running just enough to charge the battery. A bad 5 volt reference signal to various sensors can also trigger symptoms you're describing. Any of these scenarios can complicate resolutions.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:00 PM
insane_goofball
Senior User
I have gotten codes for low reference voltage in the past. Voltage not what expected. Etc. Every day that goes by i think more and more its a bad puter. Been actin messed up for 2 years. No one has been able to figure out why. But no one has ever checked the puter. I found an obd1 diag port inside the truck cab... i found that odd.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:07 PM
insane_goofball
Senior User
I just hit autozone's web page... I cannot tell the difference between the ECC's aside from fed or cali emissions. Will I find a tag on my puter to correspond to a part number ?
How do you guys feel about Cardone reman puters ?

Old 12-20-2012, 06:17 PM
Puddy
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
yea you bet, once you pull it out

Old 12-20-2012, 06:20 PM
insane_goofball
Senior User
Pulling it out is a b!tch isn't it? Lol

Old 12-20-2012, 07:31 PM
Puddy
FTE Chapter Leader
depends, its easy to disconnect, its fighting to get it out, but if you remove your inner wheel well arch halfway, its a piece of cake.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:33 PM
insane_goofball
Senior User
I think the inner fender will be the biggest pain... almost tempted to just cut an access panel. Lol

Old 12-20-2012, 07:40 PM
Puddy
FTE Chapter Leader
water on the backside is never a good idea, unless you can properly seal it up.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:50 PM
F500Mike
Freshman User
At some point they eliminated the external BAP sensor (with air meter trucks, MAP with speed density trucks). They must have moved it into the engine computer itself because I'm pretty sure it is an important part of the overall EFI controls...

Old 12-20-2012, 07:54 PM
F500Mike
Freshman User
Sometimes due to the location of the engine computer on these trucks, water can run down the fire wall and seep into the computer compartment. Especially if the cowl/hood seal at the top is bad or gone. Depending on the amount it will start rusting and corroding things. Not good and visible when you get the PCM removed. But just because you see some crud on the case it does not mean it is bad. Just maybe..

Old 12-20-2012, 09:30 PM
insane_goofball
Senior User
Most of the crud drippage happens on passenger side. Truck started life in kentucky went to michigan for 2 years. And has been in florida for last 2 years. I'm honestly afraid of what i will find down there

Old 12-21-2012, 12:47 AM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by insane_goofball
I have gotten codes for low reference voltage in the past. Voltage not what expected. Etc. Every day that goes by i think more and more its a bad puter. Been actin messed up for 2 years. No one has been able to figure out why. But no one has ever checked the puter. I found an obd1 diag port inside the truck cab... i found that odd.
Picture?

Originally Posted by F500Mike
At some point they eliminated the external BAP sensor (with air meter trucks, MAP with speed density trucks). They must have moved it into the engine computer itself because I'm pretty sure it is an important part of the overall EFI controls...
In the early speed-density trucks, the MAP served as the BAP as well. It'd simply survey the atmospheric pressure right before start up.

In Mass-Air, knowing the barometric pressure is not important. As MAFs physically measure the mass of the air going into the engine. The barometric pressure is mainly used to adjust spark tables and change shift points in MAF vehicles. Ford later figured out how to derive the atmospheric pressure from the MAF, and ditched the BAP completely.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:56 AM
insane_goofball
Senior User
Yeah, mine does not have map or the bap i checked wiring. Vac routing all that.
Even though i think it may very well be the engine puter. I am still changing upper plenum gasket
Just so i can pull off smog pump easier. And i bought 11' of vac line to replace old factory hard lines.
Its just a bit chilly today and tomorrow cause of the storm front. So i am going to see about pulling access panel off sunday or monday to check the puter.
Should i be looking for blown caps on the board or certain resistances?

P.s i don't know how to add a picture or else i would put several up of the engine compartment as well. Lol

Last edited by insane_goofball; 12-21-2012 at 11:57 AM. Reason: forgot a line.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:10 PM
Truckin Bob
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by insane_goofball
Thanks bob
Sounds similar to what i am getting. I was actually planning to run several new ground lines while doing this other work.
Was your truck running so rich u had fuel dripping out of tailpipes? I could damn near mount spark plugs in my exhaust and have flamethrowers. Lol
New ground lines are great, but, you still have to have a damned near perfect ground going back to the negative battery post.
That is where most folks (including me) don't get it. !!!!!

And,
No, I was fighting a "lean condition" with my truck.
Cleaning ALL of my body, frame, block grounds made my truck "wake up" and run like as it was designed.........ie. no band-aid fixes to stop the lean bucking.

Good on you for considering the EEC as a possible culprit.
A "bad" internal ground in the computer or the leaking capacitor thing happening could very well be the answer you've been searching for.
Bad EEC's seem to have symptoms that are all over the board.

You'll get there........

Bob

Quick Reply: got a real stumper on a 95 302