1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

My Project Truck.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 03:49 PM
ProjectDually
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ReBilld
The colors I gave you were right off a '96. I'm not sure if the '94.5 had different colors or not. I have a 94.5 parts truck I can look at tomorrow.
Thanks Bill! Some of the colors matched up, but there were a few I was kind of guessing on.

I found a fuel leak. But it's not coming up top. Nothing is leaking up there.. It's coming from the bottom of the engine somewhere. It was coming from the Flywheel inspection cover. I took it off, It was coming from up from behind the flywheel by the passenger side. The flywheel isn't wet.. It only happens after I had been cranking. It really pours out.. I'm thinking a seal of some kind.

Red arrow points to where I think I saw it coming from.

Old 03-30-2014, 03:53 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check where the fuel line goes into the back of the head. That lines has a rubber seal in the nut and they are prone to leak. If it's not that check the fuel rail plug on the back of the head.

Old 03-30-2014, 04:00 PM
ProjectDually
Postmaster
Check where the fuel line goes into the back of the head. That lines has a rubber seal in the nut and they are prone to leak. If it's not that check the fuel rail plug on the back of the head.
Is the fuel rail plug easily accessible?
The fuel lines are all good, no leaking/ wetness

Old 03-30-2014, 04:12 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's right in the back of the head. Follow the port that the line goes into down and it is the small round plug that takes a 1/4" drive ratchet.

Are you sure it is fuel?

Old 03-31-2014, 11:27 AM
ProjectDually
Postmaster
It's right in the back of the head. Follow the port that the line goes into down and it is the small round plug that takes a 1/4" drive ratchet.

Are you sure it is fuel?
Thanks for the picture, yes, it's fuel. Some had stayed in the inspection cover when i took it off. Smell, color was a bit off, but it had a bluish tint to it. And it has stained the parking lot underneath it.

Old 03-31-2014, 10:28 PM
pilgrimbizket
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I didnt read the whole thread, but when my truck was leaking fuel from that area it was actually the hard line it self had broken where it bends near the head.

Old 04-01-2014, 11:36 AM
ProjectDually
Postmaster
Originally Posted by pilgrimbizket
I didnt read the whole thread, but when my truck was leaking fuel from that area it was actually the hard line it self had broken where it bends near the head.
I'll give it a look tonight, I just have to remember where I put my little inspection mirror.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:18 PM
ProjectDually
Postmaster
Well, I'm going away for a month, no internet access where I'm going! Food for some thought.. Rewire the IDM to the injectors with a heavier gauge wire, and create a new loom for it. I found this, what I think could be colors.

Any thoughts?

Old 12-10-2014, 12:36 PM
ProjectDually
Postmaster

Ok sorry for the big picture. I resized it on my computer but I guess image upload doesn't care?
Anyway: I was going through old pictures on my phone and I stumbled across a few things. Is this the "Grey" that everyone refers to? I have not seen this one in any pictures of y'alls CPS. It did come with shims, but I didn't realize they were to adjust the air gap.

I also found a video of my no-start when I was cranking. My phone will only let me send 10* seconds of it, so once it's uploaded to youtube, I'll post the link. The RPM show about 100 when cranking, no popping and oil pressure gauge goes to the middle a few seconds into cranking.

Link to video, sorry it's short. My phone really doesn't like youtube for some reason right now or you would hear me explaining what I did.

I'm pretty sure that this CPS might be my current problem, or at least one of them. I could start a new thread, but I figured I would just add it to this one.

Old 12-10-2014, 10:11 PM
mjunk1
Fleet Mechanic
Sure looks like one. I can't remember off the top of my head, but if you can get one from Ford it is money well spent. No matter what you can always keep an extra in your glove box. Do you know anyone with a working 7.3 that you could swap CPSs with just to see?

Old 12-10-2014, 10:27 PM
ProjectDually
Postmaster
Originally Posted by mjunk1
Sure looks like one. I can't remember off the top of my head, but if you can get one from Ford it is money well spent. No matter what you can always keep an extra in your glove box. Do you know anyone with a working 7.3 that you could swap CPSs with just to see?
Maybe. I saw the "blue" on Diesel-orings, and will pick up that one, but it's too easy to get a ford one when I get back. The funny thing, is that was my spare, the black one fell apart when I took it out.

Old 12-12-2014, 06:28 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts
I think that's the light gray ford cps. The dark gray one is a better one.

Old 12-12-2014, 09:28 PM
ProjectDually
Postmaster
Alright. Yea, I'll pick up the black one when I get back. If that gets the old girl running again, then I'll just be happy I don't have to tow it to the shop to start tearing it down!

Old 12-13-2014, 09:40 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
John, you might wanna also check and see if there is an International house near you. I got mine form their last year and it is still working great 57k miles later. The black one came out, which I kept for spare. Just check and see which one might be cheaper, but either one will be the one you want.

Old 12-13-2014, 11:42 AM
ProjectDually
Postmaster
I was trying to find what the PN for that one was. I got in on Ebay, IIRC it was IH, but was something about advanced timing or something in the item description. It came with the shims, but not knowing what they were for ended up in my spare parts bin. It could be the right sensor, just not air gapped.

I'm hoping that's all it is right now. I'll pick up a couple, and just try them out. Get an IH one, ford, and the blue. At least I'll have plenty of spares I know will work!

Byron, I'll do a search and see what I can find. I'll be heading to MO to Northern auto parts, to pick up the bearings and some tools once everything is apart. So I'll check there too. I'm not sure what my cam, crank and mains are going to be, or if they'll need machined at all, so I don't want to order a kit online with standards, and need to get over/undersize bearings. It's just easier, and cheaper, to make a day of it and get the right stuff all at once! I'll probably order the gaskets and pistons from Clay, he has a few other things I wanted to get anyway.

In other news, might be working on my truck sooner than I thought I would be! Nothing set in stone, but it's something to be hopeful for!

Quick Reply: My Project Truck.