6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Done w/ Motorcraft batteries

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 11:23 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,490 Likes on 1,727 Posts
Done w/ Motorcraft batteries

I just had the second pair of Motorcraft batteries fail before the two-year mark was up. Sure do like the audible alert w/ the DashDAQ! The only problem was when I was cranking at startup. After that, the alternator kept the voltages looking good.

I am not going to use them anymore. Shame, I have had good luck in the past. It is clear that the "made in Mexico" replacement batteries are NOT the same as the ones installed from the factory (made in the US).

Had a bad cell in one and it ruined the other apparently. It was sure working the alternator harder than it should have been.

I had a good year in the stock market (wasn't in the market - lol), so I went w/ a pair of diehard platinums. Merry Christmas to me I guess. I like the 4 year full repacement warranty!

Old 12-13-2012, 11:49 PM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts
I have always had good luck with the Motorcraft batteries. Sucks they didn't go the distance for you.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:33 AM
04badford
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bismic
I just had the second pair of Motorcraft batteries fail before the two-year mark was up. Sure do like the audible alert w/ the DashDAQ! The only problem was when I was cranking at startup. After that, the alternator kept the voltages looking good.

I am not going to use them anymore. Shame, I have had good luck in the past. It is clear that the "made in Mexico" replacement batteries are NOT the same as the ones installed from the factory (made in the US).

Had a bad cell in one and it ruined the other apparently. It was sure working the alternator harder than it should have been.

I had a good year in the stock market (wasn't in the market - lol), so I went w/ a pair of diehard platinums. Merry Christmas to me I guess. I like the 4 year full repacement warranty!
Bizmic you say bad cell in one batt why would it kill the other alts chargeing to norm 14amps/kill cell +13/12/amps x12 /13 amps ? ? just wondering our diesels take allot to start, can you mix acid/water back to the batt and then charge the cells

Old 12-14-2012, 03:28 AM
mhatlen
2006 Bullet-Riddled 6.0

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been told by the First Interstate distributor we use at work that the new Die Hard has the best technology going today for batteries.
Are they 1000CCA batteries?
Once my Optima,s go I am going to give those a good lookin at. they have been awesome up to this point Mexico or not. lol

Old 12-14-2012, 04:18 AM
Fulthrotl
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and i've got a pair of oddesy's just sitting on a battery charger....
shame you don't live closer, i'd a made you a hell of a deal on them....

Old 12-14-2012, 04:21 AM
Fulthrotl
Elder User
Originally Posted by 04badford
Bizmic you say bad cell in one batt why would it kill the other alts chargeing to norm 14amps/kill cell +13/12/amps x12 /13 amps ? ? just wondering our diesels take allot to start, can you mix acid/water back to the batt and then charge the cells
if one cell goes bad in a battery, it'll eventually kill every battery
in the group... think of it instead of a bad cell, as a load that
you can't shut off... it'll keep discharging itself, and by definition,
everything else hooked to it.

as for battery "technology", it's just a chemical reaction, and
the two big influences on performance of a battery is amount
of plate area, and quality of anodes.

what makes oddesy batteries rock, (and cost like hell) is that
they are the only batteries that use virgin lead in them, and
NO RECYCLED LEAD. all the other manufacturers use recycled
and virgin lead, and the higher percentage of recycled lead,
the shorter the life span, and the less spunky the output.

weight is a good clue. the heavier it is, the more lead plates,
and the higher the surface area.

that's why the oddesy 1750's we use a pair of to crank a
6.0 cost $325 each, and why they have an 8 year warranty,
with the first four years a direct replacement, and the
second four years pro rated.

most batteries are built for a two year service life, with
the theory that most people change a car every two-three
years, and the original purchaser won't be the one with
the claim.

Old 12-14-2012, 04:48 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Fulthrotl
and i've got a pair of oddesy's just sitting on a battery charger....
shame you don't live closer, i'd a made you a hell of a deal on them....
I appreciate the thought for sure!! The Odyssey's were first on my list, just couldn't find any on my "morning off".

mhatlen - they are 930 cca

http://www.sears.com/diehard-platinu...p-02850065000P

Here is the advertising:

The DieHard Platinum Size 65 battery has tin-coated brass terminals and 99.99 percent pure virgin lead plates, that make it durable, strong and reliable. An Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) construction with a sealed structure aid in keeping the high-purity grade acid in place so you can enjoy a safe driving experience.

• Featuring a 930 CCA rating this Group Size 65 (#50065) battery is can be relied upon for a smooth start on a cold winter morning
  • Comes with a DieHard platinum battery grade
  • Container is made from high-quality polycarbonate/polyester
  • With a long off-season storage power and a reserve power of 135 minutes, the battery is perfect for use on classic or luxury car models
  • An AGM construction offers longevity and mounting flexibility
  • Plan off-road trips as the battery is vibration-resistant and sports a military-grade construction
  • Item Weight: 60 lbs.
  • Dimensions: 11.8"(L) x 7.2"(W) x 7.4"(H)
  • Four-year free replacement and 100-month pro-rated limited manufacturer's warranty
  • Amp Hours at 20 Hour Rate: 75
  • Capacity Amp Hours at 10 Hour Rating: 65
  • Cold Cranking Amps (CCA at 0 deg.F): 930
  • Reserve Capacity (RC): 135
Here is the Odyssey advertising:

http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/pc1750t.htm

PC 1750 Design:
  • Absorbent glass mat (AGM) technology
  • 12V battery pure VRLA
  • BCI group 65 battery
  • Rugged construction
  • Tin plated brass SAE terminals
  • Can be mounted in any orientation. To meet group 65 specifications, battery must remain upright.
  • Suitcase lifting handle
  • US DOT and IATA certified non-spillable
  • Shipped fully charged - just install and go
  • Container and cover made from oil resistant plastic
  • PHCA: 1,750A at 80°F (27°C); for 5 seconds
  • CCA: 930A at 0°F (-18°C)
  • CA/MCA: 1,175A at 32° (0°C)
  • HCA: 1,325 at 80°F (27°C)
  • Reserve capacity: 135 minutes on 25amps
  • Short circuit current: 5,000A
  • Deep cycling capability: 400 at 80% DOD
  • Design life: 12 years
  • Typical service life: 6 to 8 years

Old 12-14-2012, 05:18 AM
Nice Work Truck
Post Fiend
Mack I have had the diehard platinums for 2 years and love them.
My truck has never started sooooo good.
Best of luck with them.
I am sure you will like them.

Old 12-14-2012, 05:37 AM
mustang_309
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I had my plant electrician tell me that the way you can tell the quality of the battery is by the weight of it, which based on that I planned on buying the diehard platinum batteries when the time comes as those weighed the most out of all of the ones I researched.

Old 12-14-2012, 05:55 AM
sammy77
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
None of my Motorcraft batteries have made it past 36 months, don't even get me started on the alternators..

Old 12-14-2012, 06:12 AM
MC5C
Posting Guru
Well, I just changed out the Motorcraft batteries in my truck, date code 2006, so they lasted 6 years. I put in Johnson Controls Gp 65 900 CCA, which just happen to be identical to the stock Motorcraft, since apparently Johnson Controls makes them for Motorcraft. I do believe that the reason my truck has 06 batteries when it's an early 05 is that they were changed out in the first year under warranty... What does that say? Batteries are a crap-shoot. BTW the charging profile of the truck alternator is not ideal for AGM batteries, which like a harder, shorter charge than wet batteries. For that reason I don't use them in street vehicles. I do use them in every race car I take care of. AGM battery technology was originally developed for the military, for starting emergency generators in aircraft and the like. They have a couple of key characteristics - they retain a high output capability when cold, they retain a high charge after long periods of storage, and they can accept a very high charging current compared to wet lead acid batteries. You can charge them at up to 100% of their 20Hr AH rating, while wet batteries want no more than 20% of that. I've left AGM's sitting for two years and they still had 50% state of charge and could start a car.

Brian

Old 12-14-2012, 08:27 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by MC5C
Well, I just changed out the Motorcraft batteries in my truck, date code 2006, so they lasted 6 years. I put in Johnson Controls Gp 65 900 CCA, which just happen to be identical to the stock Motorcraft, since apparently Johnson Controls makes them for Motorcraft. I do believe that the reason my truck has 06 batteries when it's an early 05 is that they were changed out in the first year under warranty... What does that say? Batteries are a crap-shoot. BTW the charging profile of the truck alternator is not ideal for AGM batteries, which like a harder, shorter charge than wet batteries. For that reason I don't use them in street vehicles. I do use them in every race car I take care of. AGM battery technology was originally developed for the military, for starting emergency generators in aircraft and the like. They have a couple of key characteristics - they retain a high output capability when cold, they retain a high charge after long periods of storage, and they can accept a very high charging current compared to wet lead acid batteries. You can charge them at up to 100% of their 20Hr AH rating, while wet batteries want no more than 20% of that. I've left AGM's sitting for two years and they still had 50% state of charge and could start a car.

Brian
Harley thinks they're OK. AGM's are stock in their M/C's.

Old 12-15-2012, 06:27 AM
fmtrvt
Elder User
Mark,

Looks like I'm stalking you.

I've been noticing low starting volts on my three year old Motorcrafts as well. When I have time next week I'm planning on checking the SpGr on both and see where these are.

I mentioned before on several forums that the over the counter Motorcrafts are not the same battery as the production line version and not sure they are much different then any of the other aftermarket versions.

Did you get money back from the dealership on these rather then replacement?

Old 12-15-2012, 06:43 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Jack - I always like to see you get in on my posts!

Clearly the OEM's I had were made in the US and the replacements were made in Mexico.

I did not get $s back - from what I was told I could get new Motorcraft batteries, not money.

Old 12-15-2012, 07:54 AM
Fal-308-Win
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ever since a teenager I've always replaced OEM's with DIE - Hards, I've never replaced a Die Hard!!-

Quick Reply: Done w/ Motorcraft batteries